FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private Schools to ditch National Curriculum

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> The War On Children, Marriage and the Family
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Private Schools to ditch National Curriculum Reply with quote

Private schools could drop 'trendy' lessons
Thursday, 15 Nov 2007 09:55
Private schools could drop national curriculum

Private schools could abandon the "fashionable" national curriculum for a return to 1950s-style education.

Headteachers at many of the country's prep schools argue five to 14-year-olds should be taught key historical dates, spelling and times-tables – rather than government-ordered classes on obesity, parenting and citizenship.

The proposal risks widening the academic divide between state and private education and comes as the government launches a new initiative to involve private schools in their wider communities.

Speaking at the Independent Girls' Schools Association conference in Leeds, Michael Spinney, chairman of the Independent Association of Prep Schools (IAPS), said the national curriculum is "overwhelmed" by a "social agenda".

"That social agenda is not something that we want to get sucked into," he told delegates. He urged other independent school associations to join in a debate about the future direction of the curriculum.

http://www.politics.co.uk/news/opinion-former-index/education/private- schools-could-drop-trendy-lessons-$481546.htm

Private schools are under no obligation to follow the national curriculum but the proposal, still in the early stages, would see headteachers take a firmer break from the centrally-set curriculum.

Lessons would have to remain broadly similar in key respects, however, to ensure privately educated pupils could sit GCSEs.

Mr Spinney said yesterday: "Increasingly, we are living in an era where teaching and learning are sacrificed in favour of fashionable causes, often with disastrous effects upon standards of learning. The time has come to set up an independent schools committee to analyse the national curriculum.

"The government is increasingly putting a social agenda into the equation. It has an issue about multicultural society and subjects such as slavery. What we're interested in is knowledge, rigour and fundamental skills."

The government insists it has already reformed the curriculum to make it more flexible, giving teachers more time to concentrate on the so-called "basics".

A spokesman for the Department for Children, Schools and Families said: "A curriculum which reflects the world in which we live helps to engage children in learning and give them the knowledge they need to succeed, but it does not follow that teaching and learning is less academically rigorous.

"Nobody with any sense could believe schools could teach the second world war, a statutory requirement, without covering Winston Churchill and Hitler."

Yesterday, ministers announced an initiative designed to forge closer links between the state and private sectors.

Schools minister Lord Adonis confirmed a £4 million fund to help private schools tutor "gifted and talented pupils" in the state system.

The scheme will fund master classes in core subjects and coach state school pupils applying for Oxford and Cambridge.

Lord Adonis insisted the move was "in no way a commentary on the state sector".

www.actorsandartistsfor911truth.org
www.mediafor911truth.org
www.pilotsfor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
www.radio4all.net/index.php/contributor/2149
http://utangente.free.fr/2003/media2003.pdf
"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung
https://37.220.108.147/members/www.bilderberg.org/phpBB2/
Sherlock Holmes
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Private Schools to ditch National Curriculum Reply with quote

TonyGosling wrote:

Schools minister Lord Adonis confirmed a £4 million fund to help private schools tutor "gifted and talented pupils" in the state system.

The scheme will fund master classes in core subjects and coach state school pupils applying for Oxford and Cambridge.

Lord Adonis insisted the move was "in no way a commentary on the state sector".

£4 million to get a few 'bright' state school people into Oxford and Cambridge, worth it I say. Worth it to be there, with the best, with the elite.

I wouldn't want to be a state school kid in Oxford or Cambridge would you? Talk about being the odd one out.

Don't they still have to wear their stupid robes/gowns at Oxford to take exams?

I used to watch those Oxford morons running around the streets of Oxford in their stupid robes on to sit exams around the time of finals. What a joke. Yes I went to Southampton University and I didn't have to wear stupid robes to sit my exams, and I never wore any stupid robes ever because I didn't go to the Masonic graduation ceremony either. So if you are a graduate of Manchester, Bristol, or Liverpool University etc. etc. you are a moron.

Because you didn't have the benefit of a £4 million "master class" in being a social climber to get into Cambridge or Oxford.

So you don't qualify for the £10 Oxon/Cambs MA either. On that note, I wonder if the £10 MA is included in the £4 million price tag for the dozen or so people they get into Oxford & Cambridge every year. Should be, wouldn't be worth it otherwise.
paul wright

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Money invested in the Chosen Ones whilst the rest can rot in hell, or rather be sucked dry. Shlurp.
fish5133
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

My lad actually benefited from the "gifted and talented" and that was in a school that was 2nd to bottom in its league table. I was quite surprised till I realised the only qualifying requirements were you didnt take drugs, could spell your name and could count to 10 Wink . Talk about lowering standards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> The War On Children, Marriage and the Family All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: