FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summerhill - on BBC - do you have a copy?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> The War On Children, Marriage and the Family
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frazzel
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Summerhill - on BBC - do you have a copy? Reply with quote

Hope you got to watch 'summerhill' on the BBC Monday night (28th January). If you didnt, download it quick from the bbc website before its gone.
Did anyone tape this prog? if so please can i get a copy from you?
for those of you who dont know about Summerhill, it is a school set up in 1920's by A.S.Neil, who wrote books on this. The school is totally democratic. Everyone has a say in the school assembly, teachers, students, alike. As students out-number staff, it is in effect run by the students. Students do not have to attend lessons if they dont want to. You might think that they leave with little or no education but you would be wrong! prepare to have your assumptions challenged! The school has a better success rate in terms of pupils acheiving gcse and a levels than either public or state schools.
the film 'Summerhill' shows the fight the school had with ofsted in 2006-7. Ofsted tried to have the school shut down, but Summerhill didnt give up the fight, they took it to the royal courts of justice and won!! Hurray! a big victory for freedom and justice! for more info google 'summerhill'.

paul wright

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, absolutely. Get this up online anyone who's got it. Summerhill's a fine example of spoilt rich kids of "liberal" families who are doing it the boarding school way.- not perfect by any means.
A London comprehensive tried to imitate the process in the 70s and got effed in the A.
Still Neill was a buddy and supporter of Wilhelm Reich and ok in my book
Work democracy applied to education

TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds interesting Paul. Any more details at all?

paul wright wrote:
A London comprehensive tried to imitate the process in the 70s and got effed in the A.

www.actorsandartistsfor911truth.org
www.mediafor911truth.org
www.pilotsfor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
www.radio4all.net/index.php/contributor/2149
http://utangente.free.fr/2003/media2003.pdf
"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung
https://37.220.108.147/members/www.bilderberg.org/phpBB2/
paul wright

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is absolutely correct Tony.
I remember the event, but trawling my memory cannot get enough info like the name of it or its head teacher to find it easily on a search engine.
As far as I recall it was a comprehensive serving a working class population,applying A S Neill's principles, and as far as I remember with great success as regards community relationships and so-called "discipline" issues
Needless to say, it was closed down by the authorities
The name of the place is just hovering over the borderline of consciousness and hopefully might pop up soon
Unless somebody can help out......

Caz
Last Chance Saloon
Last Chance Saloon

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who are actually still at Summerhill or those who have been associated with Summerhill although maybe have left may know about this. Perhaps it is worth contacting Summerhill school itself. If someone wants to do that.
nrmis
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

paul wright wrote:

Still Neill was a buddy and supporter of Wilhelm Reich and ok in my book

Wow, I just had to go and look up who this man was. (Wilhelm Reich that is, I thought he sounded like a nazi war criminal and you were being sarcastic)
He was jailed for his work????!!!!
And his books were burnt by the authorities????!!!!!
wtf?
Funny because I was just reading another thread and clicked a link to another site where someone was going on about orgone and cloud-busters. I've never looked into it really. The name alone, for reasons best known to my brain, just makes me think - kryponite, comic book malarkey.

Was it standard procedure to burn books/works like his in that era? I suppose I'm wondering if he was made a special case or whether stuff like this was fairly routine.
Sorry if this is a bit off-topic. Please feel free to pm me if there is somewhere I should be looking where his work is discussed.
Thanks, nick.
blackcat
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://libed.blogspot.com/

Quote:
New ideas in a London comprehensive
There are some very exciting things going on at the George Mitchell School in Leyton. It is a comprehensive school, but is doing a great deal to give its pupils a say in its government. Among other things, no new member of staff is appointed without their approval, and homework is voluntary, and described as a further learning opportunity. To read more about it, go to www.thenewspaper.org.uk/pg000639.php. What bothers me is that I had never heard about it until I picked up a copy of The Newspaper the other day. Why isn't the success of this approach national news?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nolpda/ifs_news/hi/newsid_4785000/4785538.stm?

Quote:
School where pupils select staff
By Katherine Sellgren, BBC News education reporter

Pupils at a school in east London are so involved in the running of their school, that they interview all prospective teachers - even the head.

Student panels were introduced at George Mitchell School in Leyton two and a half years ago in an attempt to give pupils "ownership" of their learning.

Now up to 20 of the secondary school's 45 teachers have been "grilled" by pupils before getting their jobs.

And it doesn't stop there.

The 70 pupils involved in the "Making Learning Better" (MLB) scheme regularly observe teachers' lessons and make suggestions about how classroom displays, teaching styles and discipline can be improved.

"We know how we want to be taught as pupils," says Casey, 12, a "lead consultant", or senior pupil adviser, for art.

"Teachers are only teaching, we're the ones being taught. Lessons have to be fun and every person has to learn something - the lesson has to have a purpose to it."

The MLB consultants at the school are clearly proud of their role and do not feel they are regarded by other pupils as "spods" or "swats".

"The conflict between corporations and activists is that of narcolepsy versus remembrance. The corporations have money, power and influence. Our sole influence is public outrage. Extract from "Cloud Atlas (page 125) by David Mitchell.
Frazzel
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: episodes 1, 2 OF SUMMERHILL Reply with quote

hi all,
does anyone have episodes 1 and 2 of summerhill? as i only got 3 and 4.
Other schools that i remember that were influenced by summerhill were: White Lion Free school in islington london, which i think got closed down in the late 80's. Rich and poor kids went to this school
Also Rising Hill School in camden, london. see the book "Rising Hill - The death of a comprehensive" by M. Duane
yes i know summerhill has mostly if not all, rich kids, but it is a private school because the state authorities wouldnt have allowed it to exist! they would ahve regulated them out of existence.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> The War On Children, Marriage and the Family All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: