FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MI5 conducts secret inquiry into 8,000 al-Qa'ida 'sympathise

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TRUTH
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: MI5 conducts secret inquiry into 8,000 al-Qa'ida 'sympathise Reply with quote

Up to 8,000 suspected al-Qa'ida sympathisers are being investigated by MI5 and the police in an operation to identify future terrorists, The Independent has learned.

The huge covert inquiry, known as project Rich Picture, is aimed at finding people who are being groomed for terrorism, and at identifying the Islamist extremists carrying out the recruitment.

The nationwide investigation follows intelligence suggesting there is a very small, but significant number of British-born and Britain-based Muslims, who are prepared to carry out bombings and other terrorist attacks in this country.

Undercover officers are gathering information from all over the country, including at colleges, mosques and internet websites where extremists may try to "groom" or radicalise those sympathetic to the aims of al-Qa'ida. Of the estimated 1.6 million Muslims living in Britain, counter-terrorist sources have disclosed that they believe up to 0.5 per cent - about 8,000 - support al-Qa'ida's aims, and have links to Islamist extremists. These are the people being investigated.

Despite assurances by police and intelligence chiefs that they are not spying on the Muslim community, the huge scale of project Rich Picture is certain to provoke anger among some Muslims who believe they are being unfairly stigmatised and targeted. Relations with some sections of the Muslim community have already been damaged following the shooting of a suspect in Forest Gate, east London, who was later released with his brother without charge.

Project Rich Picture was set up shortly after the suicide bombings in London in July last year after it became clear that British-born citizens were becoming radicalised.

Following the London attacks, in which 56 people died Dame Eliza Manningham-Buller, director general of MI5, told the Intelligence and Security Committee that the main lesson learned from the attacks was the need to get into "the unknown" - to "find ways of broadening coverage to pick up currently unknown terrorist activities or plots".

The committee, which oversees the running of the intelligence services, said of the police and agencies: "Their goal is to become more proactive at identifying those who may be being groomed for terrorism and those doing the grooming, and so to spot where terrorism may next occur."

The resulting operation is aimed at up to 8,000 potential terror supporters.

A security source said: "What we have been doing up to now is fire-fighting. There has been a huge volume of plots to investigate.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/crime/article1155174.ece
scar
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: MI5 conducts secret inquiry into 8,000 al-Qa'ida 'sympat Reply with quote

TRUTH wrote:
Up to 8,000 suspected al-CIA-duh sympathisers are being investigated by MI5 and the police in an operation to identify future terrorists

hmmmm if i were the suspicious type i might say "so they are trying to identify them, contact them, give them ideas and the means, set them off in some way/set up another 'exercise' then either bust them and propagandize or let them go ahead again and propagandize".
Not that im sceptical of our beloved intelligence services in any way at all. Honestly. Im not. Seriously! You must believe me there.
If i was to say 'they are evil f*cks' i dont mean all of em...im sure a couple of them have good intentions. Or did do (in the womb or something).

Eckyboy
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: I will be free! Reply with quote

I have often wondered how long it will take for MI5 and the US government to start rounding up other ethnic groups in their so called War on Terror. Who knows 10 years from now we could all be sharing a cell in Guantanamo bay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: