FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Native American Needs Your Support Now!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> The Bigger Picture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frazzel
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Native American Needs Your Support Now! Reply with quote

International : Native American activist 33 years in jail

Photo: LEONARD PELTIER: ‘Obama may be my last chance’

http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/36508

THE election that saw ‘people power’ sweep Barack Obama to the White House and become the new president of the United States has given many of those who have suffered injustice new hope for the future, and none more so than Leonard Peltier.
Peltier was an activist in the American Indian Movement who had gone to help the Oglala Lakota people on the Pine Ridge Reservation in June 1975 when a shoot-out occurred with FBI agents. Accused of the murder of two agents, Peltier fled to Canada, believing he would never receive a fair trial in the US.
In February 1976, he was arrested in Canada and returned to the US. In a trial no less controversial than the events in which two FBI agents lost their lives, Peltier was convicted and sentenced to two consecutive life terms.
Amnesty International has said: “Although he has not been adopted as a prisoner of conscience, there is concern about the fairness of the proceedings leading to his conviction and it is believed that political factors may have influenced the way the case was prosecuted.”
Nelson Mandela and the Dalai Lama have voiced their concern about the case, as have Coretta Scott King, Desmond Tutu and Mary Robinson.
Robert Redford and Michael Apted produced a documentary (1991) about Peltier, Incident at Oglala.
This year, celebrities who signed a petition asking for clemency for Peltier included Barbara Streisand, Giorgio Armani, Calvin Klein, Yves Saint Laurent, Naomi Campbell, Kate Moss, Yoko Ono Lennon, Bryan Adams, Bono, Cher, Phil Collins, Kylie Minogue, Peter Gabriel, Bianca Jagger, Elton John, Kris Kristofferson, Annie Lennox, Madonna, Ozzy Osbourne, Sting, Dustin Hoffman, Jeremy Irons, Jude Law, Helen Mirren, Gwyneth Paltrow, Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon, Kevin Spacey, Joan Collins, Oliver Stone and Raquel Welch.
Now aged 64, Leonard sat down in his prison cell in the US penitentiary in Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, and wrote a letter to his family, friends and supporters the day after Barack Obama’s election. We print an edited version here.

Leonard Peltier – New hope for justice
My Relatives and Friends,
Last night, a change in this country took place that not too long ago many people said would never happen. An African-American was elected to the White House and by a major landslide, which gives him a mandate by the public to fulfil his promises. This landslide indicates the people have placed their hope with this man they call their president for a change in this country.
I’ve been misled and disappointed so many times that I would soon see justice and to have it denied upon a technicality in legal appeals.
I began to feel the weight and pressure of a lifetime, being unjustly imprisoned began to crowd me into a corner of my cell and then in my mind. But it was this thing that has been our battle cry for so many years, “In the Spirit of Crazy Horse.”
It is a strength that we stand upon when we are right. We were right to be in Oglala and we were right to be prepared to defend ourselves. What wasn’t right is that a jury never got to hear any of this testimony and the rest of the trial was a product of the fabrication and then manipulation of the FBI.
Now people seem to feel there is a change blowing in the wind and that the election of Obama is a manifestation of that change. I sincerely hope so because I am now 64 years old and coming up on my 33rd year of being confined and fighting for justice and my freedom.
Obama may be my last chance at securing my freedom.
If there is one thing I learned from earlier campaigns on my clemency is that he won’t just be able to do it by himself. He is going to need your support in the form of public opinion on the case.
My case has to be a national issue on justice denied. It may sound easy but it isn’t. The FBI has been an opposing force in attempting to discredit my cause and that of native people since they focused their attention on the American Indian Movement in the 1970s.
When it appeared that [President Bill] Clinton might actually grant clemency, the agents went and demonstrated at the White House and utilised their resources to create doubt in the mind of Clinton.
It is another hope that with a whole generation of people who were born after my wrongful conviction that there will be a renewed source of energy and actions.
One point that I would like everyone to focus on right now is a ‘30-year law’ [in prison guidelines] regarding my sentence and parole.
I’ve served more than 30 years of this sentence and have been considered a model prisoner. And the likelihood of committing any crimes is non-existent due to my age and the humanitarian work I’ve pursued to help my people since my incarceration. According to this law, they have to grant me a parole to my next sentence.

Leonard then refers to rebuilding his support groups’ network “necessary due to a breakdown with the former Leonard Peltier Defence Committee”. While his family tries to resolve this issue, he urges supporters “to keep moving with the campaign”.
He continues:

Some of the projects we have discussed are conducting rides, walks, runs and events across the country to create this awareness of my case. We are initiating efforts to ask bands and artists to host fund-raisers in their areas.
I also understand that some of us have personality issues with other people. I hope that many of you can pray or find a way to rise above this obstacle and work together for one common purpose.
I would like to see so many of my supporters come together in a show of solidarity. If there really is a change in the air, we will need each other to bring about change in so many other areas.
For me it has been about our culture and right to be who we are but, foremost, it has been the children and the next generation.
We were supposed to leave a better world behind for them and how much have we accomplished?
I know that somehow and some way my sacrifice will not be in vain and that the years I’ve endured this pain of loneliness and suffering in confinement will make a better world for those children and coming generations.
That, along with my freedom, is my hope, but I will not be able to fulfil it without you. So take a few minutes and educate yourself on the injustices of my case. It may shock and outrage you but you can do something about it, so join us.
In the Spirit of Crazy Horse,

Leonard Peltier

www.whoisleonardpeltier.

Frazzel
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Native American Needs Your Support Now! Reply with quote

Please go to www.leonardpeltier.net or www.whoisleonardpeltier.info and see what you can do. write to Barak Obama and let him know that one way he can help improve the terrible reputation of america is to free leonard now
WRITE TO OBAMA

The Honorable Barak Obama
U.S. Senate
111 Address
Washington, DC 20010

Dear Senator Barak Obama:

Identify yourself. Let him know you are concerned that america repairs its international image and freeing leonard is one thing he can do.
state why you think leonard should be freed go to the websites above.

Be polite. Like most of us, legislators will respond better to positive communication.

EMAIL BARAK OBAMA NOW!

www.write2barakobama.com

http://obama.senate.gov/contact/index.php

write to leonard:
Leonard can only receive letters, cards, postcards, photos (not polaroid), and postal money orders for his commissary account.

Leonard Peltier

#89637-132

USP-Lewisburg

US Penitentiary

PO Box 1000

Lewisburg, PA 17837-1000

US Postal Money Orders can be sent to Leonard for his commissary account at:
Federal Bureau of Prisons
Leonard Peltier
#89637-132
PO BOX 474701
Des Moines Iowa 50747-0001

Disco_Destroyer
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its true about certain Indians tearing up peace treaties, maybe that is another reason for troops on US streets??

There is also a Myspace page! They have a CD coming out soon as well for those interested Wink

“The more you tighten your grip, the more Star Systems will slip through your fingers.”

www.myspace.com/disco_destroyer
Disco_Destroyer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within minutes i have a bulletin how uncanny!!!

The last month has been a busy one at the LPDOC office. We’ve reached tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of people in North Dakota and the surrounding area with the simple but firm message that Leonard Peltier must be free. In the last month we have received coverage from every major media outlet in Fargo and Grand Forks, held a major rally at the site of Leonard’s conviction, organized a display of his art at a downtown gallery, and run a full-page ad and cover article in a popular weekly newspaper.
Those of you who could not make it can watch part of Russell Means’ speech on You Tube

Link

Although we have accomplished much in terms of education, we have also incurred substantial expenses along the way. Your financial assistance is needed more than ever to help us move forward into the new year with a new website and newsletter (yes, it’s finally coming). Please contribute directly or purchase some raffle tickets for a chance to win a signed Leonard Peltier painting (details below) and help spread the word about Leonard’s case.

Raffle for Freedom in 2009
Cost: $5 ea.
or 5 for $20 (all proceeds to LPDOC)
First Place, Painting by Leonard Peltier
Second, Poster-size Lithograph of Painting
Third, Incident at Oglala DVD, Songs for Leonard Peltier CD, and T-Shirt

(Drawing will be held at the end of the month).

In the Spirit of Crazy Horse Benefit Songs is now available re-mastered to CD music includes “Song for Leonard Peltier” by Jim Page, “Anna Mae” by Larry Long. $15.00 including shipping.

Send checks or money orders (be sure to indicate it’s for raffle tickets) to:
LPDOC
Box 7488
Fargo, ND 58106

Our Pay Pal is temporarily down on the website, but you may use your own personal account if you wish. Please be sure to note that it’s for tickets and include the address to send the tickets to, as well as your phone number.

“The more you tighten your grip, the more Star Systems will slip through your fingers.”

Disco_Destroyer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday, January 30, 2009
PLEASE CONTINUE TO FIGHT FOR LEONARD PELTIER
http://thewhiteroseresistance.blogspot.com/2009/01/please-continue-to- fight-for-leonard.html
Leonard has been transferred back to USP-Lewisburg and released
to the general population. He was welcomed back not only by
the brothers at Lewisburg, but by all of the prisoners. Leonard
wishes to thank all of his supporters for standing with him during
this difficult time. But we need to finish the job. Take Action:
http://www.FreePeltierNow.org/transfer.htm.

Leonard's address:

Leonard Peltier
#89637-132
USP-Lewisburg
US Penitentiary
PO Box 1000
Lewisburg, PA 17837

Protect the Life of Leonard Peltier

On January 13, 2009, 64-year-old and ailing Indigenous activist Leonard Peltier was transferred to USP-Canaan, a maximum security facility in Waymart, Pennsylvania. Not long after his arrival, Peltier was attacked by two young inmates and sustained a number of injuries. Proven to be the victim of the attack via videographic evidence, Peltier is nevertheless being held in solitary confinement and is unable to contact family but once a month. Peltier's attorneys were denied access to their client for four days. A protest in support of Peltier, a member of the American Indian Movement, occurred in San Francisco on January 23. Other protests are being planned in Colorado and elsewhere on or around February 6, the 33rd anniversary of Peltier's arrest in connection with the shooting deaths of two agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation. Peltier's Nation, the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians, passed a resolution late last year requesting Peltier's transfer into their custody to serve the remainder of his sentence. Family members are supportive of such a transfer. Alternatively, family members want Peltier transferred closer to home, either to FCI Sandstone (MN) or FCI Oxford (WI). Peltier's security rating has been greatly reduced by the Bureau of Prisons (BOP) in recognition of his model behavior for the past 30 years. "The fact is that Peltier is an innocent man. He should be given his freedom. All that aside, his current security rating means he shouldn't even be in a maximum security prison anymore," said Peltier attorney Mike Kuzma. "In light of this incident, we know that the BOP cannot ensure Leonard's safety in a maximum-security environment."

* Take Action *

Due to YOUR actions, Leonard has been transferred back to Lewisburg. But we know that the BOP can't or won't protect Leonard from harm in ANY maximum security prison. We must keep up the pressure on the BOP to transfer Leonard to one of the three above locations. Today and every day, make your voices heard. Send letters, call, and/or e-mail the director of BOP.

Harley G. Lappin, Director

Bureau of Prisons

U.S. Department of Justice
320 First Street., NW

Room 654
Washington, DC 20534
Phone: (202) 307-3250
Fax: (202) 514-6878

E-mail: hlappin@bop.gov

A sample letter (that you can adapt and use for a telephone script, as well) follows.

Dear Sir:

I was outraged to learn that, on January 13, Leonard Peltier was transferred to USP-Canaan in Waymart, Pennsylvania, where he was immediately attacked and injured by young gang members. Your inability to protect Mr. Peltier in this or any other maximum security facility is clearly evident.

I understand that last August Mr. Peltier properly submitted a formal application for transfer to an institution close to his home in North Dakota—either the low-security prison at Sandstone, Minnesota, or the medium-security facility in Oxford, Wisconsin. Such an assignment, I know, would comply with Program Statement 5100.08 which states that the BOP is to make every effort to keep prisoners within a 500-mile radius of their homes so that prisoners can maintain ties to their families and home communities. In reviewing Mr. Peltier's places of confinement during the past 33 years, however, I was shocked to discover that he has never received such consideration. Apparently, your rules don't apply to Mr. Peltier and never have.

In addition, in late 2008, the Turtle Mountain Band of Chippewa Indians also sent a resolution to you offering a third option, i.e., that their tribesman Peltier be transferred to that Nation’s custody to serve the remainder of his sentence.

Leonard has been a model prisoner for the past 30 years. In recognition of this, the BOP has greatly reduced his security rating. Peltier shouldn’t be imprisoned in a maximum security facility anymore. His reduced security rating, Peltier’s application, and his Tribal Council’s request should have been but clearly weren't taken into account in the BOP’s recent decision to transfer Peltier to yet another maximum security prison—and one where his safety and wellbeing were put in such serious jeopardy.

The only remedy to the current situation is for you to immediately transfer Mr. Peltier to one of the above, more appropriate facilities. I strongly urge you to do so.

Sincerely,

(Your Name)

(Your Street Address)

(Your City, State and Zip Code)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> The Bigger Picture All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: