FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Climate Change really man-made?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 62, 63, 64  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> The Bigger Picture
View previous topic :: View next topic  
QuitTheirClogs
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it The Onion? No; it’s plain stupid!

Link

David Ray Griffin - 9/11: the Myth & the Reality
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-275577066688213413
QuitTheirClogs

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Climate sceptics claim leaked emails are evidence of collusion among scientists

Hundreds of emails and documents exchanged between world's leading climate scientists stolen by hackers and leaked online

Leo Hickman guardian.co.uk, Friday 20 November 2009 15.31 GMT
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2009/nov/20/climate-sceptics-hac kers-leaked-emails

A spokesperson for the University of East Anglia said: "We are aware that information from a server used for research information in one area of the university has been made available on public websites. Because of the volume of this information we cannot currently confirm that all of this material is genuine. This information has been obtained and published without our permission and we took immediate action to remove the server in question from operation. We are undertaking a thorough internal investigation and we have involved the police in this enquiry."

When the Guardian asked Professor Jones [CRU Director] to verify whether these emails were genuine, he refused to comment.

Professor Michael E Mann, director of Pennsylvania State University's Earth System Science Centre and a regular contributor to the popular climate science blog Real Climate, is another prominent climatologist who features in many of the email exchanges. He said: "I'm simply not going to comment on the content of illegally obtained emails. However, I will say this: both their theft and, I believe, any reproduction of the emails that were obtained on public websites, etc, constitutes serious criminal activity. I'm hoping that the perpetrators and their facilitators will be tracked down and prosecuted to the fullest extent the law allows."

--

They’re updating this article as I post: Laughing

Leo Hickman and James Randerson
guardian.co.uk, Friday 20 November 2009 18.15 GMT

In one email, dated November 1999, one scientist wrote: "I've just completed Mike's Nature [the science journal] trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie, from 1981 onwards) and from 1961 for Keith's to hide the decline."

This sentence, in particular, has been leapt upon by sceptics as evidence of manipulating data, but as yet, the credibility of the email has not been verified. The scientists who allegedly sent it declined to comment on the email.

"It does look incriminating on the surface but there are lots of single sentences that, taken out of context, can appear incriminating," said Bob Ward, director of policy and communications at the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment at the London School of Economics. "You can't tell what they are talking about. Scientists say 'trick' not just to mean deception. They mean it as a clever way of doing something - a short cut can be a trick."

--

I think the expression "to hide the decline" is strongly indicative of intent to deceive.

--

I think they're beginning to panic:

A spokesman for Greenpeace said: "If you looked through any organisation's emails from the last 10 years you'd find something that would raise a few eyebrows. Contrary to what the sceptics claim, the Royal Society, the US National Academy of Sciences, Nasa and the world's leading atmospheric scientists are not the agents of a clandestine global movement against the truth. This stuff might drive some web traffic, but so does David Icke."

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dogsmilk
Mighty Poster
Mighty Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have sometimes popped in to look at this (epic) thread but have never said anything. Why? I am not a climatologist and know basically jack about the subject.

What gets me though is that team item 7 seems solely reliant on just firing out random articles from all kinds of weird and wonderful dusty corners. Without checking back, if memory serves, we've had a range from Melanie 'bitch queen from hell' Phillips to 'Dr' John 'crackpot loony' Coleman. Now I'm sure chek isn't a climatologist either, but he at least appears to have some kind of grasp of the basic scientific opinion - evidenced by his apparent ability to formulate arguments himself based on the evidence as opposed to just posting a constant stream of articles and videos, a feat a chimpanzee trained to type "global warming scam" into google could just as easily accomplish.

What I want to know is why item 7 thinks argumentum ad youtubeium passes for debate. Personally, if I had the time and motivation to get into the climate change issue, the first thing I would do is sit down and study the scientific evidence base. What I would not do is see what 'alternative' tabloid journalist extraordinaire Paul Joseph Watson on Advertising Planet.com is saying and believe that. Possibly clicking on the flashing Are you ready to learn to be rich? Survive and thrive! Here's what you do! or whatever while I'm there.
No offence chief, but you can just copy and paste loads of material saying just about anything you like on any subject - it's the easiest game on the net.

I'd also like to know how people rationalise the concept of a 'scam'. I think this has been covered before, but I'm sure we can all agree the political response to GW is one thing and the underlying science is another. So how politicians choose to address the issue is not the same as the issue itself. Now I remember scientists going on about GW for years - way, way before it was ever taken remotely seriously by politicians. So how can it be a 'scam'? How can politicians, years later, taking some notice of what independent scientists say be a 'scam'?

chek wrote:
The bottom line is, whatever Jones' expressed intent of 'fighting the globalists', in practice he's fighting for their agenda if 'the globalists' are defined as international capital, which essentially means US shareholders and their transnational tax-avoiding and environmental responsibility-avoiding corporations. Maintaining US hegemony seems to be his aim, if all his blathering about phoney New World Orders are anything to go by.

I think this is important. There is a strange blind spot in these narratives that speak of 'resistance' and 'revolution' while essentially advocating business as usual. I like to call it faux radicalism. As far as I can tell, Jones just wants old style right wing conservatism and that's that. At best there is an assumption that if we did away with the current elite, this would magically herald a new dawn of inherently moral and responsible global capitalist hegemony.

Perhaps there is also the element of 'if it's mainstream in cannot be true'. You get this a lot on the David Icke forum where some people basically define their beliefs according to the formula that if anything is in any way held to be 'officially' true it therefore isn't. I strongly suspect if governments still blanket denied GW exists, people on conspiracy sites would be falling over themselves saying it most definitely does (and is caused by the Hutchison effect).

I'm off to give thanks I bought a house on a bit of a hill since we had more floods round my way this week. The people who've lived here forever say it never used to be this bad.

chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dogsmilk wrote:
What gets me though is that team item 7 seems solely reliant on just firing out random articles from all kinds of weird and wonderful dusty corners.

... which is why we've had such jaw-dropping unexplained (and apparently unexplainable, judging by the silence) switcheroos such as "yes, it is getting warmer but so is the solar system" to the currently fashionable "global cooling ice age now" nonsense which is equally inconsistent with actual evidence.

I don't know if you saw it DM, but banjo7 posted a page or so ago (in trademark 90pt caps)
"450 peer-reviewed papers supporting skepticism of AGW-caused global warming" publicised by the Monckton/Watts axis.
Of course, banjoboy accepted it at face value and spammed us without checking, as have a dozen other droids across the net to other sites.

But there are more careful folk out there who do check these things - who take truth seriously.

Hilariously, if Energy and Environment (which is to peer reviewed science papers what Health and Efficiency is to The Lancet) and other sources which don't appear in the Institute of Scientific Information (which is where science people check to find previously published information), letters, speeches(?) and comments are taken away there have been something like 24 actual real papers published since 1976.
Out of 27,000 odd supporting the conclusions of AGW.

Not necessarily a bad thing; after all as Einstein said, when subjected to a petition by 100 physicists against his daft theories, "Why do they need a hundred when one valid one will do"?

However even those two dozen papers between them assert:

Global temperature has risen naturally;
Global temperature hasn't risen;
Global temperature doesn't exist;
The greenhouse effect is saturated;
The greenhouse effect doesn't exist.

Needless to say, none of those papers changed the world.
But in denierland, their very existence shows they're onto something.
Unfortunately, the something is just access to the most lavishly funded PR campaign in history.

Thousands of registered lobbyists and a few bent Senators don't come cheap!
"A Center for Public Integrity analysis shows that more than 770 companies and interest groups hired an estimated 2,340 lobbyists to influence federal policy on climate change in the past year, as the issue gathered momentum and came to a vote on Capitol Hill. That's an increase of more than 300 percent in the number of lobbyists on climate change in just five years, and means that Washington can now boast more than four climate lobbyists for every member of Congress".
http://www.publicintegrity.org/investigations/climate_change/

It's them or us.
chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuitTheirClogs wrote:
Climate sceptics claim leaked emails are evidence of collusion among scientists

The problem now is that it will soon be impossible for average Joe to tell which of the leaked emails are genuine and which have either souped up or outright fabricated content attached to genuine headers.

But you can be sure that the underlying science built up over the past 40 years will be studiously avoided while banjo7-style conspiraloon claims will be flying across the web for ... oh, a few days at least.

I'd venture to suggest that a Real Climate version of the alleged same email will be markedly different to a WattsUpMyButt version.
Keep an eye out for US/UK english versions of word spellings...

It's them or us.
Frank Freedom
Mind Gamer
Mind Gamer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd also like to know how people rationalise the concept of a 'scam'. I think this has been covered before, but I'm sure we can all agree the political response to GW is one thing and the underlying science is another. So how politicians choose to address the issue is not the same as the issue itself. Now I remember scientists going on about GW for years - way, way before it was ever taken remotely seriously by politicians. So how can it be a 'scam'? How can politicians, years later, taking some notice of what independent scientists say be a 'scam'?

Funny this,I remember very clearly scientists proclaiming the next ice age was upon us in the mid to late 70's!
Clearly DM you are merely backing up the other attempted (and failing badly) promoter of AGW namely chek on this forum,and probably does not want to see the what is clearly obvious to most discerning truthers.

chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank Freedom wrote:
Funny this,I remember very clearly scientists proclaiming the next ice age was upon us in the mid to late 70's!
Clearly DM you are merely backing up the other attempted (and failing badly) promoter of AGW namely chek on this forum,and probably does not want to see the what is clearly obvious to most discerning truthers.

LOL

Pay attention "Frank", this canard has been covered in this thread (as has almost every other climate related topic) at least twice in this case, and is another denier hoax misrepresentation, of media coverage (at the time) versus the scientific consensus.

Why is it you never have anything substantive to say "Frank"?
What is the point of your uninformed interjections?
Doing your bit for the loopy wing and adding to
the corporate noise machine?
Huh?

So are you just banging out received corporate talking points, or did this newsflash bubble up over six months from the old resident grey matter?
If it's the latter congrats - and use the search button.
The rest of us - let's have a phuckingparty.
"Frank" just had an idea.

On second thoughts am I being too harsh on lovable cuddly ol' "Frank"?

I don't know, but you do have to wonder at the asinine, bloated and lazy assumption that some vaguely recalled memory (source? .... No?) from almost forty years ago is in any way relevant to a topic that demands actual information.
Which explains my attitude to you, "Frank".

It's them or us.
flamesong
Major Poster
Major Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chek wrote:
The problem now is that it will soon be impossible for average Joe to tell which of the leaked emails are genuine and which have either souped up or outright fabricated content attached to genuine headers.

The problem is, chek, dear boy, that the average Joe cannot discern between data which supports the climate change theory and that which does not.

To an affirmed agnostic, it looks like two opposing sets of fans screaming at each other in WWF. Neither side has any idea why they believe in the lump of tarted up muscle in the ring but they have nailed their colours to the mast and they are sticking.

As I already alluded elsewhere, as far as the data is concerned, you can prove anything with statistics. When forensics fail we look at the old fashioned factors; means, motive and opportunity.

Qui bono? Well, it sure as hell ain't the tax payer!

When the climate change stars come up with a solution which doesn't involve taking money off the untermenschen and giving it to the elite, I might give them some credibility. But until then, I haven't read or heard anything to persuade me that they aren't just the same load of lying b'stards.

I used to be of the mind that, weeelll, I'm agnostic but it's better to be safe than sorry... etc. etc.

Wouldn't it be funny if the Earth goddess, Gaia, and the money god, Lucre, were mates!*

Of course, the boy cried , 'wolf' so many times that when the time came that there was real danger, nobody took any notice. Now wouldn't that be ironic!

* I made Lucre the money god up

chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flamesong wrote:
Wouldn't it be funny if the Earth goddess, Gaia, and the money god, Lucre, were mates!* I made Lucre the money god up

Not nearly as funny as finding out that ingrained ideas of material well-being were actually killing us, Flamesong!
Oh, and I run a dept serving 200 people, and have done since changing career over ten years ago, Alf. While "dear boy" is flattering, and complements my youthful looks, it is far from the truth.

flamesong wrote:
the average Joe cannot discern between data which supports the climate change theory and that which does not.

Are you advocating that no mitigating action should be taken until even the thickest of the thick are convinced regarding what are abstract concepts which they have never had to deal with in their lives?

Look what happens to banjo7 when he's exposed to abstracts!
Nuffink meenz nuffink.

Plus, you're obliged to ask yourself why confusion should prevail (if indeed it does).

Could it have something to do with that whipped up global 'save the corporations - stop world government' campaign (something which has not and has never been proposed) which is having more money thrown at it than you could shake a forest at?

It's them or us.
flamesong
Major Poster
Major Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chek wrote:
While "dear boy" is flattering, and complements my youthful looks, it is far from the truth.

It wasn't meant to be received as a remark about age. Have you never heard of Harold Macmillan?

Dunno how I am expected to respond to your running a department serving 200 people or decade old career change. Belated congratulations.

Well, I'll let you get on with your scrapping, then, I'm not falling for the divide and rule trick which all the massed Al Gore and David Icke claques evidently have.

I find the religious belief on both sides both troubling and hilarious. It's a pity both sides can't be wrong, making everybody look pretty stupid.

It's the sheer hypocrisy which really annoys me. Y'know, the carbon tax/trading scam coupled with airport expansion. Like building tax creation depots.

I'll say it again. I don't know. The candour with which I proclaim that is truly liberating. When it comes to global warming, I'm thick! But there are a hell of a lot of people as thick as me who like to make out that they are subgeniuses and know.

flamesong
Major Poster
Major Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems you edited your post prior to my reply, chek.

I mention this as, for me, the additional material you posted gives my reply a certain prescience.

flamesong
Major Poster
Major Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I forgot to mention scrappage.

Stimulate the sacred economy and build more personal vehicular carbon tax streams. Inspired.

chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flamesong wrote:
It's the sheer hypocrisy which really annoys me. Y'know, the carbon tax/trading scam coupled with airport expansion. Like building tax creation depots.

I'll say it again. I don't know. The candour with which I proclaim that is truly liberating. When it comes to global warming, I'm thick! But there are a hell of a lot of people as thick as me who like to make out that they are subgeniuses and know.

With no intended snarkery, there are two things you need to find out FS.
Where your areas of doubt lie; and how does the taking of (currently) commercially advantageous positions by large organisations affect the intended outcome.

You have to recall that these organisations deploy six people to shred a four line paragraph of new tax law, and the resources going in to
paying lip-service to any proposed climate change legislation while looking for or creating opt-outs (give Jim Inhofe a call. A friend in need...etc.) are on a scale that has not been seen to date.

And it doesn't take anything like being a subgenius to understand how a graph works.
Seriously, get the hang of that and you can see through 99% of household professionally generated climate denier BS.

The trouble is that nature doesn't care about what we intended: only what we do (or neglect) has any impact pn the world

It's them or us.
chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geezus kerrang!

One of those emails is already in the wild!

Oh noes!
Watt'l us warmists ever do now?
quake quake.

"Here is an email exchange between Jones and Gore:
----
To: fatal@vxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Fwd: John L. Daly dead
Date: Thu Jan 29 14:17:01 2004

Hail Great Leader of our Great Green Cause,

Your master plan is working excellently. Soon we control all the use of energy in the world, and then we also control the world.

The only ones who can stop us are those pesky climate skeptics, always poking their noses where they dont belong. Shall we start operation "Black Helicopters"?

We await your command, oh Magnificenlty Fat One.

Ever your obedient lackey,

Phil Jones"

To: jones@vxxxxx.xxx
Subject: Orders from the leader
Date: Thu Jan 29 14:17:01 1998

You must eliminate the medieval warming period!
Use any means you find necessary.
Then humanity can be pushed back to use only medieval technology,
and Great Cthulu shall rise from his house at R'lyeh and the
Deep Ones shall once more rule earth!

Cthulhu fhtagn!

Al Gore, aka Nrd'ungr Shuboth

http://denialdepot.blogspot.com/2009/11/450-peer-reviewed-papers-to-su pport.html#comments

It's them or us.
flamesong
Major Poster
Major Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of my agnosticism, chek, I am an environmentalist and have been for getting on for 30 years. I was responsible for recycling on two out of the three Greenpeace ships I worked on in the late 80/early 90s. When I was back in the UK had to walk about three miles with my recycling in my rucksack. I currently put out about half a black bin bag about once every three weeks. I have significantly reduced my energy footprint - but mainly because I want to reduce my dependence on money. I think that pollution is a sin against life on Earth. Even if global warming is an issue which is caused by mankind and specifically carbon dioxide - there are far more serious environmental issues. Issues which the gummy Environment Agency does next to nothing about.

chek wrote:
And it doesn't take anything like being a subgenius to understand how a graph works...

Making a statement like that gives me the impression that you have only looked at one set of graphs.

I mean, as far as 9/11 was concerned, any scientist who would contradict NIST was, at least to some extent, an ally, am I wrong? You wouldn't doubt them merely because they were in the minority, would you?

So, why is it, then, that scientists in the (supposed) minority are wrong regarding the issue of climate change?

Besides, personally, I don't believe in the economics of opinion. Just look at some of the garbage that reaches the top of the music charts.

And, what is more, why do the opinions of unqualified global warming proponents with 12 months of Wikipedia rummaging trump a PhD with six+ years at University.

Of course the reverse equally applies. But the cheerleaders who shout the loudest may only be drowning out the truth.

Not that I believe that education is anymore than industrial human resource programming.

Anyway, I would no more expect a proponent or a denier to change their mind than I'd expect David Icke to say he was wrong about reptiles.

'Arsenal 'til I die'
Anon Dec.

'Born a rocker, die a rocker'
Charlie Harper

chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flamesong wrote:
'Born a rocker, die a rocker'
Charlie Harper

You see? There is hope for you!

But getting back to the gist, what we can judge for ourselves is whether an open air, unaspirated short duration hydrocarbon fire can possibly generate enough heat to cause complete and total identical symmetrical collapses in response to localized damage.

I've not seen that adequately explained.

Just as I see that the evidence for the ever changing and multifarious notions put out by professional, identified and paid individuals resisting man made climate change don't stand up to examination.

You know what I do when banjo7 plants another "global cooling" story?

I look at the NASA GISTEMP global map and see which regions have big blue cool spots, and which simultaneously are the big red warm ones.

Then I do a search for local media and the local office of a national organisation, which is why you'll find I've posted info from Alaska, Bhutan, Australia, Siberia, Austria etc. etc.
Do local papers and regional offices lie about their weather?
If you think so, then you're a far better conspiracy theorist than I, Gunga Din.

This really isn't hard for anyone with internet access to do, and exposes the current 'global cooling everywhere' lie for what it is.

If they're telling the truth, why do they have to lie?

That's the real power of the internet, and another reason that the corporates are pushing multi-level Web2.
Use it or lose it.

It's them or us.
item7
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100017393/climategat e-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-anthropogenic-global-warming/

So what's the big deal about this? They have obviously been lying for years. Getting a few e-mails isn't "news". Their lies have been spouted all over the mainstream media for as long as I can remember. Even if every proponent of the Climate Change Scam was to confess to their deceit and admit there is no man-made climate problem you would still get Chek (I wish I was clever enough to think of a name to call him like BanjoChek but I just can't do it) and his like banging on about how there IS a problem and WE are to blame and WE must act as he says. The real surprise about all this is just how long the liars can keep the "debate" going. Its as long as people don't look at the evidence and just trust the mainstream media, something which has stopped happening hence the massive increase in the number of people realising it is a lie.

Quote:
Climategate: the final nail in the coffin of 'Anthropogenic Global Warming'?

By James Delingpole Politics Last updated: November 20th, 2009

If you own any shares in alternative energy companies I should start dumping them NOW. The conspiracy behind the Anthropogenic Global Warming myth (aka AGW; aka ManBearPig) has been suddenly, brutally and quite deliciously exposed after a hacker broke into the computers at the University of East Anglia’s Climate Research Unit (aka Hadley CRU) and released 61 megabites of confidential files onto the internet. (Hat tip: Watts Up With That)

When you read some of those files – including 1079 emails and 72 documents – you realise just why the boffins at Hadley CRU might have preferred to keep them confidential. As Andrew Bolt puts it, this scandal could well be “the greatest in modern science”. These alleged emails – supposedly exchanged by some of the most prominent scientists pushing AGW theory – suggest:

Conspiracy, collusion in exaggerating warming data, possibly illegal destruction of embarrassing information, organised resistance to disclosure, manipulation of data, private admissions of flaws in their public claims and much more.

One of the alleged emails has a gentle gloat over the death in 2004 of John L Daly (one of the first climate change sceptics, founder of the Still Waiting For Greenhouse site), commenting:

“In an odd way this is cheering news.”

But perhaps the most damaging revelations – the scientific equivalent of the Telegraph’s MPs’ expenses scandal – are those concerning the way Warmist scientists may variously have manipulated or suppressed evidence in order to support their cause.

Here are a few tasters. (So far, we can only refer to them as alleged emails because – though Hadley CRU’s director Phil Jones has confirmed the break-in to Ian Wishart at the Briefing Room – he has yet to fess up to any specific contents.) But if genuine, they suggest dubious practices such as:

Manipulation of evidence:

I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline.

Private doubts about whether the world really is heating up:

The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t. The CERES data published in the August BAMS 09 supplement on 2008 shows there should be even more warming: but the data are surely wrong. Our observing system is inadequate.

Suppression of evidence:

Can you delete any emails you may have had with Keith re AR4?

Keith will do likewise. He’s not in at the moment – minor family crisis.

Can you also email Gene and get him to do the same? I don’t have his new email address.

We will be getting Caspar to do likewise.

Fantasies of violence against prominent Climate Sceptic scientists:

Next
time I see Pat Michaels at a scientific meeting, I’ll be tempted to beat
the nonsense out of him. Very tempted.

Attempts to disguise the inconvenient truth of the Medieval Warm Period (MWP):

……Phil and I have recently submitted a paper using about a dozen NH records that fit this category, and many of which are available nearly 2K back–I think that trying to adopt a timeframe of 2K, rather than the usual 1K, addresses a good earlier point that Peck made w/ regard to the memo, that it would be nice to try to “contain” the putative “MWP”, even if we don’t yet have a hemispheric mean reconstruction available that far back….

And, perhaps most reprehensibly, a long series of communications discussing how best to squeeze dissenting scientists out of the peer review process. How, in other words, to create a scientific climate in which anyone who disagrees with AGW can be written off as a crank, whose views do not have a scrap of authority.

“This was the danger of always criticising the skeptics for not publishing in the “peer-reviewed literature”. Obviously, they found a solution to that–take over a journal! So what do we do about this? I think we have to stop considering “Climate Research” as a legitimate peer-reviewed journal. Perhaps we should encourage our colleagues in the climate research community to no longer submit to, or cite papers in, this journal. We would also need to consider what we tell or request of our more reasonable colleagues who currently sit on the editorial board…What do others think?”

“I will be emailing the journal to tell them I’m having nothing more to do with it until they rid themselves of this troublesome editor.”“It results from this journal having a number of editors. The responsible one for this is a well-known skeptic in NZ. He has let a few papers through by Michaels and Gray in the past. I’ve had words with Hans von Storch about this, but got nowhere. Another thing to discuss in Nice !”

Hadley CRU has form in this regard. In September – I wrote the story up here as “How the global warming industry is based on a massive lie” – Hadley CRU’s researchers were exposed as having “cherry-picked” data in order to support their untrue claim that global temperatures had risen higher at the end of the 20th century than at any time in the last millenium. Hadley CRU was also the organisation which – in contravention of all acceptable behaviour in the international scientific community – spent years withholding data from researchers it deemed unhelpful to its cause. This matters because Hadley CRU, established in 1990 by the Met Office, is a government-funded body which is supposed to be a model of rectitude. Its HadCrut record is one of the four official sources of global temperature data used by the IPCC.

I asked in my title whether this will be the final nail in the coffin of Anthropenic Global Warming. This was wishful thinking, of course. In the run up to Copenhagen, we will see more and more hysterical (and grotesquely exaggerated) stories such as this in the Mainstream Media. And we will see ever-more-virulent campaigns conducted by eco-fascist activists, such as this risible new advertising campaign by Plane Stupid showing CGI polar bears falling from the sky and exploding because kind of, like, man, that’s sort of what happens whenever you take another trip on an aeroplane.

The world is currently cooling; electorates are increasingly reluctant to support eco-policies leading to more oppressive regulation, higher taxes and higher utility bills; the tide is turning against Al Gore’s Anthropogenic Global Warming theory. The so-called “sceptical” view is now also the majority view.

Unfortunately, we’ve a long, long way to go before the public mood (and scientific truth) is reflected by our policy makers. There are too many vested interests in AGW, with far too much to lose either in terms of reputation or money, for this to end without a bitter fight.

But if the Hadley CRU scandal is true,it’s a blow to the AGW lobby’s credibility which is never likely to recover.

item7
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a reminder why hacked e-mails aren't necessary I post the following article from a baby eating, Holocaust denying, local weatherman banjoboy with the wrong politics. I realise that posting articles is easy and therefore should be condemned as a practice, but I can't help myself. When I see someone telling the truth about the most gigantic fraud in history I just have to spread the word. Terrible I know.

http://www.globalwarming.org/2009/10/19/none-dare-call-it-fraud/

Quote:
None Dare Call It Fraud

by Paul Driessen

October 19, 2009 @ 11:41 am

What if we applied corporate standards to the “science” that is driving global warming policy?

Imagine the reaction if investment companies provided only rosy stock and economic data to prospective investors; manufacturers withheld chemical spill statistics from government regulators; or medical device and pharmaceutical companies doctored data on patients injured by their products.

Media frenzies, congressional hearings, regulatory investigations, fines and jail sentences would come faster than you can say Henry Waxman. If those same standards were applied to global warming alarmists, many of them would be fined, dismissed and imprisoned, sanity might prevail, and the House-Senate cap-and-tax freight train would come to a screeching halt.

Fortunately for alarmists, corporate standards do not apply - even though sloppiness, ineptitude, cherry-picking, exaggeration, deception, falsification, concealed or lost data, flawed studies and virtual fraud have become systemic and epidemic. Instead of being investigated and incarcerated, the perpetrators are revered and rewarded, receiving billions in research grants, mandates, subsidies and other profit-making opportunities.

On this bogus foundation Congress, EPA and the White House propose to legislate and regulate our nation’s energy and economic future. Understanding the scams is essential. Here are just a few of them.

Michael Mann’s hockey-stick-shaped historical temperature chart supposedly proved that twentieth century warming was “unprecedented” in the last 2000 years. After it became the centerpiece of the UN climate group’s 2001 Third Assessment Report, Canadian analysts Ross McKitrick and Steve McIntyre asked Mann to divulge his data and statistical algorithms. Mann refused. Ultimately, Mc-Mc, the National Science Foundation and investigators led by renowned statistician Edward Wegman found that the hockey stick was based on cherry-picked tree-ring data and a computer program that generated temperature spikes even when random numbers were fed into it. (1)

This year, another “unprecedented” warming study went down in flames. Lead scientist Keith Briffa managed to keep his tree-ring data secret for a decade, during which the study became a poster child for climate alarmism. Finally, McKitrick and McIntyre gained access to the data. Amazingly, there were 252 cores in the Yamal group, plus cores from other Siberian locations. Together, they showed no anomalous warming trend due to rising carbon dioxide levels. But Briffa selected just twelve cores, to “prove” a dramatic recent temperature spike, and chose three cores that “demonstrated” there had never been a Medieval Warm Period. It was a case study in how to lie with statistics. (2)

Meanwhile, scientists associated with Britain’s Climatic Research Unit (CRU) also withheld temperature data and methods, while publishing papers that lent support to climate chaos claims, hydrocarbon taxes and restrictions, and renewable energy mandates. In response to one request, lead scientist Phil Jones replied testily: “Why should I make the data available, when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?” Of course, that’s what the scientific method is all about - subjecting data, methods and analyses to rigorous testing, to confirm or refute theories and conclusions. When pressure to release the original data became too intense to ignore, the CRU finally claimed it had “lost” (destroyed?) all the original data. (3)

The supposedly “final” text of the IPCC’s 1995 Second Assessment Report emphasized that no studies had found clear evidence that observed climate changes could be attributed to greenhouse gases or other manmade causes. However, without the authors’ and reviewers’ knowledge or approval, lead author Dr. Ben Santer and alarmist colleagues revised the text and inserted the infamous assertion that there is “a discernable human influence” on Earth’s climate. (4)

Highly accurate satellite measurements show no significant global warming, whereas ground-based temperature stations show warming since 1978. However, half of the surface monitoring stations are located close to concrete and asphalt parking lots, window or industrial-size air conditioning exhausts, highways, airport tarmac and even jetliner engines - all of which skew the data upward. The White House, EPA, IPCC and Congress use the deceptive data anyway, to promote their agenda. (5)

With virtually no actual evidence to link CO2 and global warming, the climate chaos community has to rely increasingly on computer models. However, the models do a poor job of portraying an incredibly complex global climate system that scientists are only beginning to understand; assume carbon dioxide is a principle driving force; inadequately handle cloud, solar, precipitation, ocean currents and other critical factors; and incorporate assumptions and data that many experts say are inadequate or falsified. The models crank out (worst-case) climate change scenarios that often conflict with one another. Not one correctly forecast the planetary cooling that began earlier this century, as CO2 levels continued to climb.

Al Gore’s climate cataclysm movie is replete with assertions that are misleading, dishonest or what a British court chastised as “partisan” propaganda about melting ice caps, rising sea levels, hurricanes, malaria, “endangered” polar bears and other issues. But the film garnered him Oscar and Nobel awards, speaking and expert witness appearances, millions of dollars, and star status with UN and congressional interests that want to tax and penalize energy use and economic growth. Perhaps worse, a recent Society of Environmental Journalists meeting made it clear that those supposed professionals are solidly behind Mr. Gore and his apocalyptic beliefs, and will defend him against skeptics. (6)

These and other scandals have slipped past the peer review process that is supposed to prevent them and ensure sound science for a simple reason. Global warming disaster papers are written and reviewed by closely knit groups of scientists, who mutually support one another’s work. The same names appear in different orders on a series of “independent” reports, all of which depend on the same original data, as in the Yamal case. Scientific journals refuse to demand the researchers’ data and methodologies. And as in the case of Briffa, the IPCC and journals typically ignore and refuse to publish contrary studies.

Scandals like these prompted EPA career analyst Alan Carlin to prepare a detailed report, arguing that the agency should not find that CO2 “endangers” human health and welfare, because climate disaster predictions were not based on sound science. EPA suppressed his report and told Carlin not to talk to anyone outside his immediate office, on the ground that his “comments do not help the legal or policy case for this decision,” which the agency supposedly would not make for several more weeks. (7)

The endless litany of scandals underscores the inconvenient truth about global warming hysteria. The White House, Congress and United Nations are imperiling our future on the basis of deceptive science, phony “evidence” and worthless computer models. The climate protection racket will enrich Al Gore, alarmist scientists who get the next $89 billion in US government research money, financial institutions that process trillion$$ in carbon trades, and certain companies, like those that recently left the US Chamber of Commerce. For everyone else, it will mean massive pain for no environmental gain. (Cool

Still not angry and disgusted? Read Chris Horner’s Red Hot Lies, Lawrence Solomon’s Financial Post articles, Steve Milloy’s Green Hell, and Benny Peiser’s CCNet daily climate policy review. Go to a premier showing of Not Evil Just Wrong. (9)

Then get on your telephone or computer, and tell your legislators and local media this nonsense has got to stop. It may be that none dare call it fraud - but it comes perilously close.

Mr-Bridger
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the documents taken from CRU are available here :

http://www.anelegantchaos.org/cru/index.php

enjoy !
Whitehall_Bin_Men

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exaggeration on both sides.
This debate is not happening.
Can anyone suggest genuinely good UK based speakers on both sides of the debate?

item7 wrote:
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100017393/climategat e-the-final-nail-in-the-coffin-of-anthropogenic-global-warming/
The real surprise about all this is just how long the liars can keep the "debate" going. Its as long as people don't look at the evidence and just trust the mainstream media, something which has stopped happening hence the massive increase in the number of people realising it is a lie.

Climategate: the final nail in the coffin of 'Anthropogenic Global Warming'?

By James Delingpole Politics Last updated: November 20th, 2009

If you own any shares in alternative energy companies I should start dumping them NOW. The conspiracy behind the Anthropogenic Global Warming myth (aka AGW; aka ManBearPig) has been suddenly, brutally and quite deliciously exposed after a hacker broke into the computers at the University of East Anglia’s Climate Research Unit (aka Hadley CRU) and released 61 megabites of confidential files onto the internet. (Hat tip: Watts Up With That)

When you read some of those files – including 1079 emails and 72 documents – you realise just why the boffins at Hadley CRU might have preferred to keep them confidential. As Andrew Bolt puts it, this scandal could well be “the greatest in modern science”. These alleged emails – supposedly exchanged by some of the most prominent scientists pushing AGW theory – suggest:

Conspiracy, collusion in exaggerating warming data, possibly illegal destruction of embarrassing information, organised resistance to disclosure, manipulation of data, private admissions of flaws in their public claims and much more.

One of the alleged emails has a gentle gloat over the death in 2004 of John L Daly (one of the first climate change sceptics, founder of the Still Waiting For Greenhouse site), commenting:

“In an odd way this is cheering news.”

But perhaps the most damaging revelations – the scientific equivalent of the Telegraph’s MPs’ expenses scandal – are those concerning the way Warmist scientists may variously have manipulated or suppressed evidence in order to support their cause.

Here are a few tasters. (So far, we can only refer to them as alleged emails because – though Hadley CRU’s director Phil Jones has confirmed the break-in to Ian Wishart at the Briefing Room – he has yet to fess up to any specific contents.) But if genuine, they suggest dubious practices such as:

Manipulation of evidence:

I’ve just completed Mike’s Nature trick of adding in the real temps to each series for the last 20 years (ie from 1981 onwards) amd from 1961 for Keith’s to hide the decline.

Private doubts about whether the world really is heating up:

The fact is that we can’t account for the lack of warming at the moment and it is a travesty that we can’t. The CERES data published in the August BAMS 09 supplement on 2008 shows there should be even more warming: but the data are surely wrong. Our observing system is inadequate.

Suppression of evidence:

Can you delete any emails you may have had with Keith re AR4?

Keith will do likewise. He’s not in at the moment – minor family crisis.

Can you also email Gene and get him to do the same? I don’t have his new email address.

We will be getting Caspar to do likewise.

Fantasies of violence against prominent Climate Sceptic scientists:

Next
time I see Pat Michaels at a scientific meeting, I’ll be tempted to beat
the nonsense out of him. Very tempted.

Attempts to disguise the inconvenient truth of the Medieval Warm Period (MWP):

……Phil and I have recently submitted a paper using about a dozen NH records that fit this category, and many of which are available nearly 2K back–I think that trying to adopt a timeframe of 2K, rather than the usual 1K, addresses a good earlier point that Peck made w/ regard to the memo, that it would be nice to try to “contain” the putative “MWP”, even if we don’t yet have a hemispheric mean reconstruction available that far back….

And, perhaps most reprehensibly, a long series of communications discussing how best to squeeze dissenting scientists out of the peer review process. How, in other words, to create a scientific climate in which anyone who disagrees with AGW can be written off as a crank, whose views do not have a scrap of authority.

“This was the danger of always criticising the skeptics for not publishing in the “peer-reviewed literature”. Obviously, they found a solution to that–take over a journal! So what do we do about this? I think we have to stop considering “Climate Research” as a legitimate peer-reviewed journal. Perhaps we should encourage our colleagues in the climate research community to no longer submit to, or cite papers in, this journal. We would also need to consider what we tell or request of our more reasonable colleagues who currently sit on the editorial board…What do others think?”

“I will be emailing the journal to tell them I’m having nothing more to do with it until they rid themselves of this troublesome editor.”“It results from this journal having a number of editors. The responsible one for this is a well-known skeptic in NZ. He has let a few papers through by Michaels and Gray in the past. I’ve had words with Hans von Storch about this, but got nowhere. Another thing to discuss in Nice !”

Hadley CRU has form in this regard. In September – I wrote the story up here as “How the global warming industry is based on a massive lie” – Hadley CRU’s researchers were exposed as having “cherry-picked” data in order to support their untrue claim that global temperatures had risen higher at the end of the 20th century than at any time in the last millenium. Hadley CRU was also the organisation which – in contravention of all acceptable behaviour in the international scientific community – spent years withholding data from researchers it deemed unhelpful to its cause. This matters because Hadley CRU, established in 1990 by the Met Office, is a government-funded body which is supposed to be a model of rectitude. Its HadCrut record is one of the four official sources of global temperature data used by the IPCC.

http://aanirfan.blogspot.com
Martin Van Creveld: Let me quote General Moshe Dayan: "Israel must be like a mad dog, too dangerous to bother."
Martin Van Creveld: I'll quote Henry Kissinger: "In campaigns like this the antiterror forces lose, because they don't win, and the rebels win by not losing."
chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony Watts and his droids are idiots, and possible accessories to cybercrime.
The server that was hacked was the University of East Anglia's, and not that of the Hadley Centre.

But it's another excuse to ramp up the corporate ant-AGW machine pre-Copenhagen

What'll happen is that none of the messenger dogs will read the
emails (just like they didn't read those supposed hundreds of
sceptic climate papers) but will spam the headline everywhere they
can tied to the over-familiar rhetoric and pro business-as-usual
polemics from the usual suspects.

Let the quote-mining and outright fabrication begin and run its course.
As ever, requests for evidence will be ignored.

None of it changes what's happening out in the physical world.

It's them or us.
chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitehall_Bin_Men wrote:
Can anyone suggest genuinely good UK based speakers on both sides of the debate?

Some subjects such as science aren't suitable for a stand up debate, which favours qualities at odds with careful consideration.

A smooth-talking orator of mediocre intellect can create a more favourable impression on an audience than a genius fumbling for his notes in order to be sure that the figures he's giving are correct.
This scenario is played out everyday in the court system, with mixed results for justice..

What might work is a public, refereed and moderated email exchange, but failing that it's back to ye olde traditional way where scientific papers are peer reviewed, published and then discussed.

Which doesn't really have the instant appeal to the 24/7/365 dumbdown brigade who, as is all too obvious in this thread, prefer their propaganda pre-digested and explained for them.

It's them or us.
item7
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitehall_Bin_Men wrote:

Do a google search for Lord Monckton. He argues eloquently against the Climate liars.

I do not know of any "good" speaker who sides with the climate liars. They do have an Oscar winning Nobel Laureate who was awarded those accolades on the basis of his comedy science fiction film "An Inconvenient Truth" so he should be "good". He is Al Gore but he refuses to debate with Lord Monckton. The b* uses facts and that's just not on for Saint Al.

chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

item7 wrote:
Lord Monckton (The b*) uses facts.

I think it was adequately shown 18 posts ago that Munchkin hasn't got a clue and is a third rate bluffer.

It's them or us.

Last edited by chek on Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
item7
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another meaningless posting from another Local Weatherman.

http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/images/stories/press_releases/CO2_Re port_Press_Release.pdf

Quote:
The science is in: global warming will not be catastrophic says SPPI
The Science and Public Policy Institute’s authoritative Monthly CO2 Report for July 2009 announces the publication of amajor peer-reviewed paper by Professor Richard Lindzen of MIT, demonstrating by direct measurement that outgoing long-wave radiation is escaping to space far
faster than the UN predicts, and proving that the UN has exaggerated global warming 6-fold.
Lindzen’s paper on outgoing long-wave radiation shows that the “global warming” scare is over. Thanks to recent peer-reviewed papers that have not been mentioned in themainstream news media, we now know that the effect of CO2 on temperature is small, we now why it is small, and we know that it is having very little effect on the climate.

Thismonth’s CO2 Report provides the latest real-world scientific data about the climate – The IPCC assumes CO2 concentration will reach 836 ppmv by 2100, but, for almost eight years, CO2 concentration has headed straight for only 570 ppmv by 2100. This alone halves
all of the IPCC’s temperature projections. Since 1980 temperature has risen at only 2.5 °F (1.5 °C)/century, not the 7 F° (3.9 C°) the IPCC imagines.

Sea level rose just 8 inches in the 20th century and has been rising at just 1 ft/century since 1993. Sea level has scarcely risen since 2006. Also, Pacific atolls are not being drowned by the sea, as some have suggested.

Arctic sea-ice extent is about the same as it has been at this time of year in the past decade. In the Antarctic, sea ice extent – on a 30-year rising trend – reached a record high in 2007. Global sea ice extent shows little trend for 30 years. Hurricane and tropical-cyclone activity is at its lowest since satellitemeasurement began.

Solar activity has declined again, after a large sunspot earlier in themonth. The Sun is still very quiet. The (very few) benefits and the (very large) costs of theWaxman/Markey Bill are illustrated. The Bill would cost trillions and achieve nothing.

Science Focus this month studies the effect of the Sun on the formation of clouds. IT’S THE SUN, STUPID!

Robert Ferguson, SPPI’s president, said: “From the oceans via the surface and the upper atmosphere to outer space, real-world measurements prove beyond reasonable doubt that there was not, is not, and will not be any ‘climate crisis’. All of the results we publish here are of
direct relevance to the debate about “global warming”. Yet none of these results will likely be published in any mainstream news medium. The facts are not fitting the theory nor backing the scare, so the media simply suppress them.”

The full report can be read here:
http://scienceandpublicpolicy.org/monthly_report/sppi_monthly_co2_repo rt_july.html

Contact - Robert Ferguson
www.scienceandpublicpolicy.org
bferguson@sppinstitute.org
Tel. 202-288-5699

QuitTheirClogs

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacked E-Mail Is New Fodder for Climate Dispute

By Andrew C. Revkin - New York Times - November 20, 2009
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/21/science/earth/21climate.html?

The cache of e-mail messages also includes references to journalists, including this reporter, and queries from journalists related to articles they were reporting. ...several scientists and others contacted by The New York Times confirmed that they were the authors or recipients of specific e-mail messages included in the file...

“This is not a smoking gun; this is a mushroom cloud,” said Patrick J. Michaels, a climatologist who has long faulted evidence pointing to human-driven warming and is criticized in the documents.

At first, said Dr. Michaels, the climatologist who has faulted some of the science of the global warming consensus, his instinct was to ignore the correspondence as “just the way scientists talk.” But on Friday, he said that after reading more deeply, he felt that some exchanges reflected an effort to block the release of data for independent review.

He said some messages mused about discrediting him by challenging the veracity of his doctoral dissertation at the University of Wisconsin by claiming he knew his research was wrong. “This shows these are people willing to bend rules and go after other people’s reputations in very serious ways,” he said.

Spencer R. Weart, a physicist and historian who is charting the course of research on global warming, said the hacked material would serve as “great material for historians.”

chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

item7 wrote:
Another meaningless posting from another Local Weatherman.

Repeated by another meaningless droid.

item7 wrote:
Quote:
The science is in: global warming will not be catastrophic says SPPI

So which one is it banjoboy?
It can't be both warming and cooling for obvious logical reasons, so which one are you hanging your hat on?

I'll give you extra time to get the blown fuses in your brain replaced while you're figuring that one out.

It's them or us.
chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuitTheirClogs wrote:
Quote:
“This is not a smoking gun; this is a mushroom cloud,” said Patrick J. Michaels, a climatologist who has long faulted evidence pointing to human-driven warming and is criticized in the documents.

Of course, it's not surprising that Michaels lets the hyperbole flow freely, given his proven business interests with energy corporations.

"Michaels' firm does not disclose who its clients are, but leaked documents have revealed that several were power utilities which operate coal power stations. On a 2007 academic CV, Michaels disclosed that prior to creating his firm he had received funding from the Edison Electric Institute and the Western Fuels Association. He has also been a frequent speaker with leading coal and energy companies as well as coal and other industry lobby groups.
http://www.sej.org/initiatives/climate-change/patrick-michaels-cv-plai n-text-file-climate-change-guideskeptics-and-cont

Michaels is also associated with a number of think tanks and advocacy groups which dispute global warming. He is a Visiting Scientist with the George C. Marshall Institute, a Senior Fellow in Environmental Studies with the Cato Institute
http://www.cato.org/people/patrick-michaels
and a member of the Advisory Board of the Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow.
http://www.cfact.org/site/advisors.asp

http://www.sourcewatch.org/index.php?title=Patrick_J._Michaels

QuitTheirClogs wrote:
Quote:
At first, said Dr. Michaels, the climatologist who has faulted some of the science of the global warming consensus, his instinct was to ignore the correspondence as “just the way scientists talk.” But on Friday, he said that after reading more deeply, he felt that some exchanges reflected an effort to block the release of data for independent review.

Reflected??
Not 'showed', 'confirmed' or 'established', but 'reflected'? An oddly
chosen word suitable only for insinuation purposes, it seems to me.

QuitTheirClogs wrote:
Quote:
He said some messages mused about discrediting him by challenging the veracity of his doctoral dissertation at the University of Wisconsin by claiming he knew his research was wrong. “This shows these are people willing to bend rules and go after other people’s reputations in very serious ways,” he said.

Maybe Michaels, Gore and Hansen could form a support group to see each other through these attempts to trash their reputations....

It's them or us.
Mr-Bridger
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The global warming conspiracy: its silencing of the sceptics
Written by Andrew Bolt, Herald Sun blogs
Saturday, November 21 2009 08:52

This time we’ll focus on the sheer thuggery of the “The Team” - how this conspiracy of powerful alarmist scientists tried to drive sceptics and non-allies out of their jobs, and even succeeded.

Here’s three examples:

Example one is the email from Tom Wigley to IPCC author Timothy Carter about the Climate Research journal, then edited by sceptic Chris de Freitas:

PS Re CR, I do not know the best way to handle the specifics of the editoring. Hans von Storch is partly to blame—he encourages the publication of nonsense science ‘in order to stimulate debate’. One approach is to go direct to the publishers and point out the fact that their journal is perceived as being a medium for disseminating misinformation under the guise of refereed work. I use the word ‘perceived’ here, since whether it is true or not is not what the publishers care about -- it is how the journal is seen by the community that counts.I think we could get a large group of highly credentialed scientists to sign such a letter—50+ people.Note that I am copying this view only to Mike Hulme and Phil Jones. Mike’s idea to get editorial board members to resign will probably not work—must get rid of von Storch too, otherwise holes will eventually fill up with people like Legates, Balling, Lindzen, Michaels, Singer, etc. I have heard that the publishers are not happy with von Storch, so the above approach might remove that hurdle too.

Further emails from the team in its successful pursuit of de Freitas’ scalp:

This was the danger of always criticising the skeptics for not publishing in the “peer-reviewed literature”. Obviously, they found a solution to that–take over a journal! So what do we do about this? I think we have to stop considering “Climate Research” as a legitimate peer-reviewed journal. Perhaps we should encourage our colleagues in the climate research community to no longer submit to, or cite papers in, this journal. We would also need to consider what we tell or request of our more reasonable colleagues who currently sit on the editorial board…What do others think?

I will be emailing the journal to tell them I’m having nothing more to do with it until they rid themselves of this troublesome editor…

It results from this journal having a number of editors. The responsible one for this is a well-known skeptic in NZ. He has let a few papers through by Michaels and Gray in the past. I’ve had words with Hans von Storch about this, but got nowhere. Another thing to discuss in Nice !

This second case gets to the crux of the matter. I suspect that deFreitas deliberately chose other referees who are members of the skeptics camp. I also suspect that he has done this on other occasions. How to deal with this is unclear, since there are a number of individuals with bona fide scientific credentials who could be used by an unscrupulous editor to ensure that ‘anti-greenhouse’ science can get through the peer review process (Legates, Balling, Lindzen, Baliunas, Soon, and so on)….

Example two is the blocking of papers by sceptics and the less-alarmed to the IPCC deliberations:

1089318616.txt

Phil
To: “Michael
Subject: HIGHLY CONFIDENTIAL
Date: Thu Jul 8 16:30:16 2004

Mike,

[personal and extraneous chat snipped]

The other paper by MM is just garbage – as you knew. De Freitas again. Pielke is also losing all credibility as well by replying to the mad Finn as well – frequently as I see it.

I can’t see either of these papers being in the next IPCC report. Kevin and I will keep them out somehow – even if we have to redefine what the peer-review literature is !
Cheers

Phil

Example three is the driving out of Professor James Saiers as editor of the Geophysical Research Letters journal, which under him had published a sceptical paper by sceptics Sallie Baliunas and Wille Soon.

Here’s Tom Wigley to Michael “Hockey Stick” Mann:

1106322460 txt

Proving bad behavior here is very difficult. If you think that Saiers is in the greenhouse skeptics camp, then, if we can find documentary evidence of this, we could go through official AGU channels to get him ousted.

Mann writes:

Hi Malcolm,

[snip]

I’m not sure that GRL can be seen as an honest broker in these debates anymore, and it is probably best to do an end run around GRL now where possible. They have published far too many deeply flawed contrarian papers in the past year or so. There is no possible excuse for them publishing all 3 Douglass papers and the Soon et al paper. These were all pure nonsense.

There appears to be a more fundamental problem w/ GRL now, unfortunately…

Mike

Mann again:

Thanks Tom,

Yeah, basically this is just a heads up to people that something might be up here. What a shame that would be. It’s one thing to lose “Climate Research”. We can’t afford to lose GRL. I think it would be useful if people begin to record their experiences w/ both Saiers and potentially Mackwell (I don’t know him–he would seem to be complicit w/what is going on here).

If there is a clear body of evidence that something is amiss, it could be taken through the proper channels. I don’t that the entire AGU hierarchy has yet been compromised!

[snip]

mike

Mann again:

Dear All,

Just a heads up. Apparently, the contrarians now have an “in” with GRL. This guy Saiers has a prior connection w/ the University of Virginia Dept. of Environmental Sciences that causes m some unease.

I think we now know how the various Douglass et al papers w/ Michaels and Singer, the Soon et al paper, and now this one have gotten published in GRL,

Mike

Saiers was soon gone.
Mr-Bridger
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Death Blow to Climate Science
Written by Dr. Tim Ball, Canada Free Press
Saturday, November 21 2009 09:43

Global Warming is often called a hoax. I disagree because a hoax has a humorous intent to puncture pomposity. In science, such as with the Piltdown Man hoax, it was done to expose those with fervent but blind belief. The argument that global warming is due to humans, known as the anthropogenic global warming theory (AGW) is a deliberate fraud. I can now make that statement without fear of contradiction because of a remarkable hacking of files that provided not just a smoking gun, but an entire battery of machine guns.

Someone hacked in to the files of the Climatic Research Unit (CRU) based at the University of East Anglia. A very large file (61 mb) was downloaded and posted to the web. Phil Jones Director of the CRU has acknowledged the files are theirs. They contain papers, documents letters and emails. The latter are the most damaging and contain blunt information about the degree of manipulation of climate science in general and the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change in particular.
Climate science hijacked and corrupted by this small group of scientists

Dominant names involved are ones I have followed throughout my career including, Phil Jones, Benjamin Santer, Michael Mann, Kevin Trenberth, Jonathan Overpeck, Ken Briffa and Tom Wigley. I have watched climate science hijacked and corrupted by this small group of scientists. This small, elite, community was named by Professor Wegman in his report to the National Academy of Science (NAS).

I had the pleasure of meeting the founder of CRU Professor Hubert Lamb, considered the Father of Modern Climatology, on a couple of occasions. He also peer reviewed one of my early publications. I know he would be mortified with what was disclosed in the last couple of days.

Jones claims the files were obtained illegally as if that absolves the content. It doesn’t and it is enough to destroy all their careers. Jones gave a foretaste of his behavior in 2005. Warwick Hughes asked for the data and method he used for his claim of a 0.6°C temperature rise since the end of the nineteenth century. Jones responded, “We have 25 years or so invested in the work. Why should I make the data available to you when your aim is to try and find something wrong with it?” He has stonewalled ever since. The main reason was because it was used as a key argument in the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) Reports to convince the world humans caused rapid warming in the 20th century. The emails obtained are a frightening record of arrogance, and deception far beyond his 2005 effort.

Another glimpse into what the files and emails reveal was the report by Professor Deming. He wrote, “ With publication of an article in Science (in 1995) I gained sufficient credibility in the community of scientists working on climate change. They thought I was one of them someone who would pervert science in the service of social and political causes. So one of them let his guard down. A major person working in the area of climate change and global warming sent me an astonishing email that said. “We must get rid of the Medieval Warm Period.” The person in question was Jonathan Overpeck and his even more revealing emails are part of those exposed by the hacker. It is now very clear that Deming’s charge was precise. They have perverted science in the service of social and political causes.

Professor Wegman showed how this “community of scientists” published together and peer reviewed each other’s work. I was always suspicious about why peer review was such a big deal. Now all my suspicions are confirmed. The emails reveal how they controlled the process, including manipulating some of the major journals like Science and Nature. We know the editor of the Journal of Climate, Andrew Weaver, was one of the “community”. They organized lists of reviewers when required making sure they gave the editor only favorable names. They threatened to isolate and marginalize one editor who they believed was recalcitrant.
Total Control

These people controlled the global weather data used by the IPCC through the joint Hadley and CRU and produced the HadCRUT data. They controlled the IPCC, especially crucial chapters and especially preparation of the Summary for PolicyMakers (SPM). Stephen Schneider was a prime mover there from the earliest reports to the most influential in 2001. They also had a left wing conduit to the New York Times. The emails between Andy Revkin and the community are very revealing and must place his journalistic integrity in serious jeopardy. Of course the IPCC Reports and especially the SPM Reports are the basis for Kyoto and the Copenhagen Accord, but now we know they are based on completely falsified and manipulated data and science. It is no longer a suspicion. Surely this is the death knell for the CRU, the IPCC, Kyoto and Copenhagen and the Carbon Credits shell game.

CO2 never was a problem and all the machinations and deceptions exposed by these files prove that it was the greatest deception in history, but nobody is laughing. It is a very sad day for science and especially my chosen area of climate science. As I expected now it is all exposed I find there is no pleasure in “I told you so.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> The Bigger Picture All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 62, 63, 64  Next
Page 34 of 64

Jump to: