FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Croc hunter Steve Irwin is killed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Critics' Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DeFecToR
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Croc hunter Steve Irwin is killed Reply with quote

Lets all pay our respects guys.

From AOL News.

Croc hunter Steve Irwin killed
Irwin was filming a documentary on the Great Barrier Reef when the accident occurred
- Search: More on Steve Irwin

Steve Irwin, the Australian television personality and environmentalist known as the Crocodile Hunter, has been killed by a stingray barb during a diving expedition, media reports said.

Irwin, 44, was filming an underwater documentary on the Great Barrier Reef in north-eastern Queensland state when the accident occurred, Sydney's The Daily Telegraph newspaper reported on its website.

The paper and other Australian media reporting the death cited police or state government sources.

The Australian Broadcasting Corporation said Irwin was diving near Low Isles near the resort town of Port Douglas, about 1,260 miles north of Brisbane when the incident happened.

A helicopter carrying paramedics flew to the island, but he died from a stingray barb to the heart, ABC reported on its website.

have your say
Leave your tributes
Irwin is famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchcry "Crikey!" in his television program, Crocodile Hunter, which was first broadcast in Australia in 1992 and has been broadcast around the world on the Discovery channel.

He rode his image into a feature film, and developed the Australia Zoo as a tourist attraction.

The public image was dented in 2004 when Irwin triggered an uproar by holding his baby in one arm while feeding large crocodiles inside a zoo pen. Irwin claimed at the time there was no danger to his son, and authorities declined to charge Irwin with violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.

He is survived by his American wife Terri, from Oregon, who he married in 1992, their daughter Bindi Sue, eight, and son Bob, who will turn three in December.

------------------------

Utterly sad sad news. My heart goes out to his family.

aggle-rithm
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sad news. But we can take comfort in the fact that Steve lived more life in 44 years than most of us could in 80.

And something tells me he wouldn't have wanted to die an old man in a hospital bed.
chipmunk stew
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's heartbreaking. I feel terribly for his wife and kids. At least they'll have his legacy and his many hours of video to remember him by.

Crying or Very sad ...crikey...
Ally
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOR SALE:

Crocodile boots, diving suit and a set of wildlife encyclopedias.
Only 1 uncareful owner, $150.00 ono.
Contact Mrs Irwin on Brisbane 845 6835
aggle-rithm
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ally wrote:
FOR SALE:

Crocodile boots, diving suit and a set of wildlife encyclopedias.
Only 1 uncareful owner, $150.00 ono.
Contact Mrs Irwin on Brisbane 845 6835

WANTED:

An ounce of taste and/or human compassion.

Contact Ally.
wepmob2000
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Utterly, utterly tragic....

Not only the most enthusiastic and entertaining presenter on TV, but a true man of integrity, nearly every cent of his TV and film earnings went back into conservation projects.

He will be sorely missed.

My heartfelt condolences go out to his family
andyb
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In poor taste I know

catfish
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha Ha. Stabbed in the heart by a stingray. Absolutely classic. Maybe now they can repeat his pseudo-caring animal exploitation films even more than they don't deserve to be already!

Marina aqua marina Laughing

Ment : The mind
wepmob2000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catfish,
You make me want to puke
catfish
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And what about this:

Honestly, I can care even less about Steve (idiot) Irwin when there's bombs being dropped on kids.

People actually being sad about the death of this jumped tv celebrity (especially when it's in such a funny way) makes me wanna puke!

chipmunk stew
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catfish wrote:
Honestly, I can care even less about Steve (idiot) Irwin when there's bombs being dropped on kids.

So it's either/or, is it? Your compassion only stretches as far as your politics?
catfish
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully one day you will find out how much compassion I have, and believe me I have plenty. I got goose-bumps and tears in my eyes the first time I saw the pictures of lebanese kids with bits of their heads missing. A man who chooses to wrestle crocodiles on television however, falls way below innocent children in my honest opinion. Don't try and make me out to be heartless because I won't join you in your fake oh-what-a-terrible-shame Dianatribe.

catfish out

chipmunk stew
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catfish wrote:
Hopefully one day you will find out how much compassion I have, and believe me I have plenty. I got goose-bumps and tears in my eyes the first time I saw the pictures of lebanese kids with bits of their heads missing. A man who chooses to wrestle crocodiles on television however, falls way below innocent children in my honest opinion. Don't try and make me out to be heartless because I won't join you in your fake oh-what-a-terrible-shame Dianatribe.

catfish out

But you did join in. You joined in to mock him and how he died. That's pretty heartless.
catfish
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chipmunk stew wrote:
catfish wrote:

catfish out

But you did join in. You joined in to mock him and how he died. That's pretty heartless.

No, I just mocked him, I didn't join in with your fake grief. Don't twist my words chipmunk stew (although I realise that's the only thing you know how to do).

Seriously now, catfish out!

wepmob2000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chipmunk Stew

He's really not worth lowering yourself to argue with, lest to say that any death is a tragedy.
catfish
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wepmob2000 wrote:
any death is a tragedy.

Yeah right, lets all shed a tear for Hitler. Fake grief gets no sympathy from me.

chipmunk stew
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catfish wrote:
Fake grief gets no sympathy from me.

What's fake about it?
catfish
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know stew, maybe you are shedding little tears for a bloke you didn't know who did circus stunts on the telly, I myself will not be.

chipmunk stew
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catfish wrote:
I don't know stew, maybe you are shedding little tears for a bloke you didn't know who did circus stunts on the telly, I myself will not be.

That's fine. But what's your beef with people who do find it sad and will miss him?
catfish
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have nothing against those people, I was only sharing my own thoughts on the subject, in that I can feel a lot more compassion for the young victims of wars that I have in some part paid for, than the sometimes deafening, snake torturer that was the silly sod Steve Irwin. Stingrays only sting if you wind them up, something Steve did to animals all the time.

just my opinion I'm afraid.

wepmob2000

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catfish,

Please don't flatter yourself that you have the remotest idea what goes on in my or others heads, even for one second. You are without doubt one of the most abusive and insulting people I have ever encountered. I won't argue with you, in case that indicates I have the slightest respect for you. To accuse anyone, even forum opponents, of 'fake grief' is beyond reprehensible.

You disgust me.
catfish
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well get back to your grieving then, you must be distraught. As for being one of the most abusive and insulting people you have ever encountered I'll take that as a compliment.

Now get out of the troll hole and get back to fattening the no-plane thread, and remember, I am truly sorry for your loss Laughing

DeFecToR
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

catfish wrote:
I have nothing against those people, I was only sharing my own thoughts on the subject, in that I can feel a lot more compassion for the young victims of wars that I have in some part paid for, than the sometimes deafening, snake torturer that was the silly sod Steve Irwin. Stingrays only sting if you wind them up, something Steve did to animals all the time.

just my opinion I'm afraid.

His winding up of animals was something that did annoy me when watching his shows. It is true however that he has sone more for animals than most ever will.

I see where you are coming from here entirely catfish. I too feel more for the Lebanese victims of Israels recent war than i do for Steve Irwin. However, he was a man with children who now have lost a parent. That i feel for greatly.

Showing compassion for the death of one person does not detract from the suffering of anyone else.

blackcat
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He died doing what he loved...... Tantalising fish!
Bicnarok
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He was entertaining and brought a new dimension to wildlife films, a lot of people will miss him.

R.I.P
optimus79
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the point is Catfish that sometimes if you have nothing positive or helpful to add to a thread then its sometimes best not to bother.

I have no problem with your personal opinions on Steve Irwin, I just find it pathetic that on any forum when there is a thread showing condolances to a dead person, there is always some thrupney bit who has to tell everyone that they never liked them and they just dont care.

If the thread was titled, Steve Irwin: brown bread, show your disrespect here...

Then by all means jump in, but sometimes its best to withhold an opinion.
catfish
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optimus as far as I can tell this thread was called Croc Hunter Steve Irwin is Killed.

My positive and helpful addition imo is that this celebrity circus performer was a right royal pain in the arse who as far as I can tell spent most of his time drugging, deafening, and frightening animals that would've been better left alone.

Fyi stingrays do not sting people unless you tread on them (in which case Steve should have known better) or if you try and grab them and wind them up (hmm surely not Steve).

As for withholding my opinion, no I bloody won't.

wepmob2000

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catfish,

You should probably do some research before adding your unnecessary and unwanted opinions. Yes, Steve Irwin took a sensationalist approach in his documentaries which many found abrasive and annoying, but he realised this was the only way to get people interested in conservation. All respect to them, but do David Attenborough and Bill Oddie seem likely to fire the enthusiasm of an 8 year old? Furthermore the vast majority of his earnings were ploughed into projects like buying tracts of Australian land for use as conservation areas. I suggest you watch 'Crocodile Hunter goes to Hollywood', where he takes us a tour of a 20,000 acre patch he had bought and was turning into one such area.... his celebrity was purely a means for furthering the cause for which he was passionate. Its things like this that led him to be held in such high regard by people like me. However, as you obviously don't know what you're talking about, heres a small start.....

http://www.crocodilehunter.com

http://animal.discovery.com/fansites/crochunter/crochunter.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Irwin

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/09/05/obituaries/05irwin.html?ex=117306720 0&en=499e93d8458470ed&ei=5087&excamp=GGGNsteveirwin

Furthermore, your quip about 'fake grief' was completely out of order (as was the subsequent sarcasm you spewed forth). Who are you to criticise what people think, as long as it does harm to no-one else? I was'nt the greatest Princess Diana fan, but I didn't ridicule or question the motives of those who were upset, nor did I find an ounce of humour in her death. Was there humour to be found in those pictures of the bodies of Uday and Qusay Hussein, even though by all accounts they were pretty loathsome characters.

Can I suggest your grief over those poor Lebanese children is fake and motivated only by your political leanings? I don't suggest this for a second, its a disgusting accusation, but going by your evident standards, such a suggestion would be quite acceptable.....

In short, if you want to ridicule someones death, and badmouth those who are upset, do so in your own company. Its one thing to voice your opinions, its quite another to behave in the ignorant and utterly thoughtless manner as demonstrated by yourself.
catfish
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As it goes David Attenborough and Bill Odie did this particular catfish quite proud. Irwin didn't learn me nuthin guvnour.
Suggesting I watch even more telly, now you really are trying to waste my time.

As for my views I'll say what I bloody well like. Now clear off you 'winker!

wepmob2000

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catfish wrote:
Now clear off you 'winker!

Says it all really..... Wepmob standing down for the night Salute
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Critics' Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: