FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the web

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marky 54
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:00 am    Post subject: the web Reply with quote

this might seem like nothing to do with anything in here, but its something ive been asking myself recently. what is the purpose of the internet, and why is it called whats it is called? ie: worldwideWEB,interNET is there a technical explanation for theres terms which is why they call them this, or is this the real purpose of it being waved in front of those who seek to get the truth about events? WEB, NET, both things are means of catching prey or trapping people. please tell me im being paranoid! and its just by chance those worlds are used.
JimB
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: the web Reply with quote

marky 54 wrote:
this might seem like nothing to do with anything in here, but its something ive been asking myself recently. what is the purpose of the internet, and why is it called whats it is called? ie: worldwideWEB,interNET is there a technical explanation for theres terms which is why they call them this, or is this the real purpose of it being waved in front of those who seek to get the truth about events? WEB, NET, both things are means of catching prey or trapping people. please tell me im being paranoid! and its just by chance those worlds are used.

You're being paranoid and those words are used by chance. The van with the blacked out windows that is permanently parked outside your residence for no apparent reason and you see following you around is for your own protection.

I hope this clears things up. Wink Smile

marky 54
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carnt blame me for asking the question, as we know with the media, they use things as tools againsts us.
JimB
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marky 54 wrote:
carnt blame me for asking the question, as we know with the media, they use things as tools againsts us.

Joking aside, I think the labels have more to do with the notion of interconnectedness.

Bushwacker
Relentless Limpet Shill
Relentless Limpet Shill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimB has it right, the internet name came from the idea of interconnected computer networks. The web came from the idea of a web connecting sources of information, so that every piece is connected to every other.

Part of the introduction written by Tim Berners-Lee to explain his idea at CERN is:

"The current incompatibilities of the platforms and tools make it impossible to access existing information through a common interface, leading to waste of time, frustration and obsolete answers to simple data lookup. There is a potential large benefit from the integration of a variety of systems in a way which allows a user to follow links pointing from one piece of information to another one. This forming of a web of information nodes rather than a hierarchical tree or an ordered list is the basic concept behind HyperText.
At CERN, a variety of data is already available: reports, experiment data, personnel data, electronic mail address lists, computer documentation, experiment documentation, and many other sets of data are spinning around on computer discs continuously. It is however impossible to "jump" from one set to another in an automatic way: once you found out that the name of Joe Bloggs is listed in an incomplete description of some on-line software, it is not straightforward to find his current electronic mail address. Usually, you will have to use a different lookup-method on a different computer with a different user interface. Once you have located information, it is hard to keep a link to it or to make a private note about it that you will later be able to find quickly."
marky 54
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that info bushwacker Smile
ian neal
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding the use of the internet, phone, email or mobiles, I just work on the principle that if 'they' want to and can be bothered to track my activities they can and do. Period. My advice is don't get paranoid but be sensible, don't say or write anything that you wouldn't want quoted back at you in a court of law.

On a more positive note, one way to look at the internet is a growing collective consciousness or noosphere (a concept explored in this book called conscious evolution that has some good bits in but fails to even acknowledge that there is a darker story to tell as well as one of peace and light.)
chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The World Wide Web, as dubbed by Tim Berners Lee is a worldwide network of servers using the HTTP protocol ( a protocol is a method that conforms to a certain technical format ) to transfer data packets from point to point. You connect to this network when you go through your ISP access point, and can then search for or request files from every other server on the network that's online, using the 'http' links embedded in graphic format on web pages you see.

But HTTP is only one method of transferring data - there are also others such as NNTP, used by news servers and FTP as used for large volume file transfers for example.

Large institutions like Universtities and Government departments and other companies also have their own internal networks that can also be accessed from your network (BT or whoever your ISP is).

The internet is the collective common name used for all these separate inter-connecting networks, not all of which use ' http://www. ' in their adressing system.

It's true that everything that you do online is recorded in terms of your digital access point (IP address) and times you've connected to various servers and so on, but there are so many billion connections made every day, they'd already have to be after you for something before your internet activity becomes an issue. Drown them in all their information is my motto in any case.

In short, don't worry it's the most immediate, free, anarchic AND democratic medium invented so far.

p.s. don't EVER click on pop-ups anywhere anytime - always kill them using the 'alt' and 'F4' keys)

Hope this helps.

Last edited by chek on Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Wokeman
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimB,
You have more faith than I do!
ian neal
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chek wrote:
don't EVER click on pop-ups anywhere anytime - always kill them using the 'alt' and 'F4' keys)

Hope this helps.

Good tip. Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: