FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TOO MANY FORUMS - THIS MUST BE SORTED OUT!!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> About this website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrJazzz
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: TOO MANY FORUMS - THIS MUST BE SORTED OUT!!!!!! Reply with quote

This is such an easy mistake to make when starting boards.

For starting boards up it is VITAL that each forum keeps turning over and appears lively.

If you guys want to save these boards from a painful, lingering death we must condense it into no more than two forums. In fact, I would suggest just one.

Really, no more are needed; all they do is serve to dilute the energy.

Having a forum that you need to split because it becomes too busy is NOT A PROBLEM. It's a bridge you are very happy to cross when you get to it. You must think of forums as rooms at a party. One forum can hold hundreds of posts a day. It is crucial that you have one busy room where you direct your guests to, rather than spreading them out, otherwise your party will soon lose it's life.

may I add I have had a lot of experience posting on BBs.
DrJazzz
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you doubt me here's some advice on starting a web community

Quote:
4. Keep The Categories to a Minimum In The Beginning

A big mistake that people make with new message boards is that they create too many categories. Remember that for most new forums, the number of posts are going to be small at first. So if you have 10 categories and only 1 or 2 are being used, it makes your board look scarce.

Try creating just one or two in the beginning and then once the traffic starts coming in you can add new ones.
Ian
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject: Keeping track with so many forum categories... Reply with quote

I suggest everyone uses the "View posts since last visit" function on the right of the forum homepage.

This is the only way I can keep an up to date track of what's going on.
DrJazzz
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly Ian. The reason 'view new posts' helps is because is effectively makes one forum out of the whole site. But it would be far more sensible to just have one (or at most two) forums. In fact, not just sensible, the whole thing is going to fall flat on its arse otherwise, trust me
xmasdale
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject: order or chaos? Reply with quote

I'm sorry, Dr Jazzz,

but I don't agree with you. Having a mere one or two categories will make it difficult to find posts on the topic you're interested in. If, for example you are interested in campaigning issues, and there is no designated category for that, you will have to waste a lot of time searching through all the categories to see if someone has written anything about campaigning in any of them; because of the difficulty you might not bother.

Your suggestion reminds me of a proposal to reorganise the way books are sorted in a library: do away with the normal Dewey categorisation which enables us to pinpoint exactly where a book is within a moment or so and merely have three broad categories: fiction, non-fiction and reference. Our library will now look so much more lively as borrowers jostle with each other endlessly sorting through masses of books in the hope of finding what they want.

Give me the quiet, ordered library any day.

And I want a category on this forum for posting campaigning issues, which are central to what we do.

Noel
DrJazzz
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: order or chaos? Reply with quote

xmasdale wrote:
I'm sorry, Dr Jazzz,

but I don't agree with you. Having a mere one or two categories will make it difficult to find posts on the topic you're interested in. If, for example you are interested in campaigning issues, and there is no designated category for that, you will have to waste a lot of time searching through all the categories to see if someone has written anything about campaigning in any of them; because of the difficulty you might not bother.

Your suggestion reminds me of a proposal to reorganise the way books are sorted in a library: do away with the normal Dewey categorisation which enables us to pinpoint exactly where a book is within a moment or so and merely have three broad categories: fiction, non-fiction and reference. Our library will now look so much more lively as borrowers jostle with each other endlessly sorting through masses of books in the hope of finding what they want.

Give me the quiet, ordered library any day.

And I want a category on this forum for posting campaigning issues, which are central to what we do.

Noel
Did anyone read the link I posted about starting web communities?

I don't think this is the right was to view it at all. The dewey decimal system is great for libraries, but is it for your book collection? You can have quite a large bookshop without dewey decimal! One forum can hold hundreds of posts a day before overloading becomes a problem, and if that does become a problem, then that will be a very good thing. Incidentally the problem is not that you can't find things - it's that threads and the forum move too fast for meaningful discussion.

The thing is to create spaces where people go to because 'that's where the action is'. That we are still communicating by email in order to get things read says proves the point. There been some action here, the site looks a lot better, I'm very happy about that, but still there isn't a feeling that there's a forum here where it's all happening, the place to check out if you will.

Anyway, I note that the Campaigning forum is up and running, but do we really need four different '9-11' forums? Also, a single thread can hold a hell of a lot (it's far easier to read a thread with 20 replies than 20 threads with no replies). At the moment, we could really quite happily get by with one forum, with a 'sticky' thread for Campaign events. Maybe another couple like for 07/07 doesn't hurt. But eleven?

well what would I know, I've only spent my last few years posting on various BBs. I should get out more I guess... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> About this website All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: