FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BBC - UK is already a surveillance society.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roger the Horse
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: BBC - UK is already a surveillance society. Reply with quote

Thursday, 2 November 2006, 09:03 GMT - BBC
Britain is 'surveillance society'

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6108496.stm

Fears that the UK would "sleep-walk into a surveillance society" have become a reality, the government's information commissioner has said.
Richard Thomas, who said he raised concerns two years ago, spoke after research found people's actions were increasingly being monitored.

The Surveillance Studies Network report said there are up to 4.2m CCTV cameras - about one for every 14 people.

Other techniques are used to record work rate, buying habits and movements.

Surveillance will increase in the next decade, the report added.

'Looser laws'

The report's co-writer Dr David Murakami-Wood told BBC News that, compared to other industrialised Western states, the UK was "the most surveilled country".

"We have more CCTV cameras and we have looser laws on privacy and data protection," he said.

"We really do have a society which is premised both on state secrecy and the state not giving up its supposed right to keep information under control while, at the same time, wanting to know as much as it can about us."

The research says surveillance ranges from the US national security agency monitoring all telecommunications traffic passing through Britain to key stroke information used to gauge work rates and global positioning satellite information tracking company vehicles.

The report also highlights "dataveillance" - the combination of credit card, mobile phone and loyalty card information for marketing purposes.

Mr Thomas called for a debate about the risks if information gathered is wrong or falls into the wrong hands.

"We've got to say where do we want the lines to be drawn? How much do we want to have surveillance changing the nature of society in a democratic nation?" he told the BBC.

"We're not luddites, we're not technophobes, but we are saying not least don't forget the fundamental importance of data protection, which I'm responsible for.

"Sometimes it gets dismissed as something which is rather bureaucratic, it stops you sorting out your granny's electricity bills. People grumble about data protection, but boy is it important in this new age.

"When data protection puts those fundamental safeguards in place, we must make sure that some of these lines are not crossed."

'Balance needed'

The report will be presented to the 28th International Data Protection and Privacy Commissioners' Conference in London on Thursday, hosted by the Information Commissioner's Office.

The office is an independent body established to promote access to official data and to protect personal details.

The Department for Constitutional Affairs said there needed to be a balance between sharing information responsibly and respecting the citizen's rights.

A spokesman said: "Massive social and technological advances have occurred in the last few decades and will continue in the years to come.

"We must rise to the challenges and seize the opportunities it provides for individual citizens and society as a whole."

Busker
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a great comment on the BBC site to counter the "If you've nothing to hide, you've nothing to fear" retort.

The poster simply says, do you have curtains in your home? Is so, why?
Roger the Horse
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The readers recommended bit for the surveillance debate on the BBC Have your say forum is fantastic. Could find hardly any people actually supporting the massive expansion of surveillance in the UK. In most of the posts you could really sense the increasing rage people are feeling at Blair's Brave New World.
Newspeak International
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=4595&&&edition=2& ttl=20061102213422
jason67
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newspeak International wrote:
http://newsforums.bbc.co.uk/nol/thread.jspa?threadID=4595&&&edition=2& ttl=20061102213422

Reading through the comments most say that they are against cctv cameras and find the news very disturbing.

So whats happened to the good old bbc's filtering? Everytime that I post there it never sees daylight. Maybe there was just too many for them to stop.
So come on bbc, do you job! Tony and his boys wont be happy with this one...
telecasterisation
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who exactly is doing all this observing? The vast majority of the people working this equipment is simply Joe Public, in fact my neighbour works as a security operative and all the footage that is recorded is overwritten every 7 days.

Even if the 'government' is behind many of the surveillance devices out there, they are still manned by ordinary people and not black suited herberts in a bunker somewhere.

Could someone detail why they are 'disturbed' by CCTV cameras - I simply don't get the downsides??

I completely challenge the official version of events - I AM NOT A 9/11 TRUTH CRITIC - I AM NOT A 9/11 TRUTH CRITIC - I AM NOT A 9/11 TRUTH CRITIC - I AM NOT A 9/11 TRUTH CRITIC -I AM NOT A 9/11 TRUTH CRITIC - I AM NOT A 9/11 TRUTH CRITIC - I AM NOT A 9/11 TRUTH CRITIC
Patrick Brown
9/11 Truth critic
9/11 Truth critic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these cameras really there to help the people or help the state? When the *-hits-the-fan and the masses begin to awaken the government will be able to pin point and shut down protests as well as watch enemies of the state every movement. If you use your cash-point card or credit-card they will be able to pin point your location and then watch as you pop into McDonald's for a quarter-pounder and fries!

People are being forced into accepting these spy cameras because of a lack of investment into on the beat policing. As many are saying “if you don't tow the line you we be labeled a terrorist”.

telecasterisation
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick Brown wrote:
Are these cameras really there to help the people or help the state? When the *-hits-the-fan and the masses begin to awaken the government will be able to pin point and shut down protests as well as watch enemies of the state every movement. If you use your cash-point card or credit-card they will be able to pin point your location and then watch as you pop into McDonald's for a quarter-pounder and fries!

People are being forced into accepting these spy cameras because of a lack of investment into on the beat policing. As many are saying “if you don't tow the line you we be labeled a terrorist”.

My own personal view;

If this was a couple of dozen people we were talking about then okay, it is possible to track their movements via the technology you detail. However, let's pose a ballpark figure of just 100,000 'dogy' individuals that you wish to keep tabs on. How would this be possible unless there were countless rooms of people focusing on screens?

Having done 14 years in the police force I know just how difficult it is to control just an ongoing 60 or so disqualified drivers in a certain area. To monitor the entire population = nope.

The whole idea that 'we' could be watched to any degree is absolutely crazy and the manpower it would demand vast. The analogy of someone being paid to watch you eat a burger is tongue in cheek I know - but nonetheless it is simply daft.

The 'state' are essentially 'the people', the government being just a handful of men and women, and as for 'many are saying “if you don't tow the line you will be labeled a terrorist", - who is saying it exactly, I have never heard that phrase once?

I completely challenge the official version of events - I AM NOT A 9/11 TRUTH CRITIC - I AM NOT A 9/11 TRUTH CRITIC - I AM NOT A 9/11 TRUTH CRITIC - I AM NOT A 9/11 TRUTH CRITIC -I AM NOT A 9/11 TRUTH CRITIC - I AM NOT A 9/11 TRUTH CRITIC - I AM NOT A 9/11 TRUTH CRITIC
Newspeak International
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about a computerised database of images, where individual monitoring by the Solid State Crime Database (SSCD) would link directly
to a printout ala Minority Report. Wink

Once the data of where you go and who you meet,for say a discussion group on I don't know er civil liberties issues, the powers in charge could just round the whole group up and charge them with spurious terrorism
acts against the state.

I suggest it's not far a jump in the first paragraph, and in the second well that already happens to some "groups".
John White
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

telecasterisation wrote:
Patrick Brown wrote:

My own personal view;

If this was a couple of dozen people we were talking about then okay, it is possible to track their movements via the technology you detail. However, let's pose a ballpark figure of just 100,000 'dogy' individuals that you wish to keep tabs on. How would this be possible unless there were countless rooms of people focusing on screens?

Having done 14 years in the police force I know just how difficult it is to control just an ongoing 60 or so disqualified drivers in a certain area. To monitor the entire population = nope.

The whole idea that 'we' could be watched to any degree is absolutely crazy and the manpower it would demand vast. The analogy of someone being paid to watch you eat a burger is tongue in cheek I know - but nonetheless it is simply daft.

The 'state' are essentially 'the people', the government being just a handful of men and women, and as for 'many are saying “if you don't tow the line you will be labeled a terrorist", - who is saying it exactly, I have never heard that phrase once?

1) Applied Technology: RFID, leading to implanted microchips

2) Wired for sound, combined with Echelon: microphones covering the streets

3) Combine the two, and one has a computer system that can "alert" for any suspicous personnages

4) Totalitarian States employ vast amounts of civil servants to monitor the populace: thats a fact

Plenty of reason for concern, and not for complacency: your own experiance of being an on the ground copper not withstanding, especially in a different "age". Whilst you were coppering your way, Saddam's Iraqi Police, for example, were managing their citizens rather differently

The only defense the people have is how much personal responsibility they take for ther defense of democracy: in our hypnogogic state, I'd say we have a problem

telecasterisation
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1) Applied Technology: RFID, leading to implanted microchips

2) Wired for sound, combined with Echelon: microphones covering the streets

3) Combine the two, and one has a computer system that can "alert" for any suspicous personnages

4) Totalitarian States employ vast amounts of civil servants to monitor the populace: thats a fact
Plenty of reason for concern, and not for complacency: your own experiance of being an on the ground copper not withstanding, especially in a different "age". Whilst you were coppering your way, Saddam's Iraqi Police, for example, were managing their citizens rather differently

We seem to have jumped into the future with the microchips, guess the time traveller bit imposes its influence once again - the subject is CCTV.

As for Saddam, whilst I do not condone his methods, he did a damn sight better job keeping the peace than the regime that currently exists.

Finally, no-one has even come close to answering my original question about why CCTV is questionable, every point you have raised is a good thing except microchips, I have always liked the oven variety myself.

scubadiver
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason67 wrote:
Newspeak International wrote:

Reading through the comments most say that they are against cctv cameras and find the news very disturbing.

So whats happened to the good old bbc's filtering? Everytime that I post there it never sees daylight. Maybe there was just too many for them to stop.

This particular forum started with reactive moderation which means people would only alert a moderator if they wanted to complain about a message.

Not many complained I'm sure!

Very Happy Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: