FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mon22Jan - LONDON - Islamophobia, The New Racism

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> The Accelerationists' Armageddon Project For WWIII, Economic Crash, Starvation & Deadly Pathogens Rampant
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadgeB
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Mon22Jan - LONDON - Islamophobia, The New Racism Reply with quote

PUBLIC MEETING: ISLAMOPHOBIA – THE NEW RACISM
http://www.prestonrespect.org/youth/?p=26

A public meeting in London will discuss, Islamophobia which featured so
prominently in the media over recent years. Speakers include Guardian journalist Gary Younge and human rights lawyer Lousise Cristian. All Welcome.

Public Meeting:
ISLAMOPHOBIA - THE NEW RACISM
Speakers:
GARY YOUNGE (Guardian)
URMEE MAZHAR (Bangla TV)
LOUISE CHRISTIAN (Lawyer for Guantanamo detainees)
CRAIG MURRAY (Former UK ambassador to Uzbekistan)
CHRIS NINEHAM (Stop the War Coalition)

DATE & TIME: Monday 22 January, 7.30pm
VENUE: WC2H 8EP
Directions
http://www.bloomsbury.org.uk/about/location.html

Organised by Media Workers Against the War

Islamophobia – the new McCarthyism?
With Gary Younge (The Guardian), Louise Christian (lawyer for Guantanamo detainees), Craig Murray (former British ambassador to Uzbekistan), Noreen Fatima (National Union of Students – invited)
Organised by Media Workers Against the War.
Email mwaw@btinternet.com
Mon 22 Jan, 7.30pm
Bloomsbury Central Church Hall, 235 Shaftesbury Ave

http://www.prestonrespect.org/youth/?p=30

central.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  197.04 KB
 Viewed:  87 Time(s)

central.gif

moeen yaseen
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Islamophobia the New Racism Reply with quote

ISLAMOPHOBIA - THE NEW RACISM

at: Public meeting on: Islamophobia - The New Racism
date: Monday 22 January
time: 7.30pm
venue: Bloomsbury Church Call, 235 Shaftesbury Avenue WC2

Speakers:

* GARY YOUNGE (columnist for the Guardian)
* URMEE MAZHER (journalist for Bangla TV)
* LOUISE CHRISTIAN (lawyer for Guantanamo detainees)
* CRAIG MURRAY (former UK ambassador to Uzbekistan)
* CHRIS NINEHAM (Stop the War Coalition)

A new award for the worst and best reporting of Islam in the British
media will be launched in London at a public meeting to be addressed by
the Guardian’s Gary Younge and Bangla TV’s Urmee Mazher.

The award will highlight the worst examples of Islamophobic reporting
that demonises Muslims and blames them for the government’s “war on
terror”. But it will also praise rare instances of insightful and
balanced journalism.

David Crouch, chair of Media Workers Against the War, sponsors of the
award, said: “Islamophobia has become a ‘respectable’ form of racism –
the media can get away with saying things about Muslims that they would
never be able to say about Jewish or Black people. We are proud that
two such outstanding journalists as Gary Younge and Urmee Mazher will
be addressing the meeting at which we will launch the award.”

The meeting has been called to condemn the inaccuracy, double-standards and bias of much mainstream media coverage of Islam, the consequences for civil liberties in the country, and discuss strategies for change.

Meeting organised by Media Workers Against the War
Tel: 07801 789 297
Email: mwaw@btinternet.com
www.mwaw.net

MEDIA WORKERS AGAINST THE WAR (MWAW) is a group of concerned
journalists and media staff who campaign against the “war on terror”
and against the racism directed against Muslims in consequence of the
war.

Set up by campaigning journalists John Pilger and Paul Foot in 1990 to
campaign against the first Gulf War, MWAW believes British and US
troops are making the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan worse and
should leave immediately.

MWAW believes that much mainstream media coverage of the war on terror adopts the “common sense” assumptions of the British and American governments, fails to subject those assumptions to critical
examination, and consistently underplays and under-reports the anti-war
movement - the largest radical protest movement this country has ever
seen.
PaulStott
Relentless Limpet Shill
Relentless Limpet Shill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Judging from the panel of speakers I assume the answer is going to to be "Yes"..........
paul wright

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And so it is Paul
You have a problem with that?
In the longer term, though not too long, it's going to be visited on us all, including you, unless you've got some special protection

PaulStott
Relentless Limpet Shill
Relentless Limpet Shill

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dh wrote:
And so it is Paul

Yes I do.

Firstly because crying "Islamaphobia" daily and saying the US invaded Iraq as part of a "war against Muslims" has been an absolute disaster for the UK anti-war movement. It is dishonest, and amimed at recruiting support from one particular community at the price of lying to the others.

The American strategy is about oil, not religion, and as writers like Nafeez Ahmed point out it is the drive for oil that will continue to motivate future wars, not the perceived Anglo- American opposition to Islam. As we saw recently with the Saudi corruption scandal, we have a Prime Minister who will even rip up tenents of British law in order not to offend the rulers of the richest Muslim nation. A strange "Islamaphobe".

Secondly we used to have an anti-racist movement in the UK that brought together people of all races and creeds. As Peter Tatchell argues, the rise of the "Islamist" politics in the UK has served to marginalise and divide that movement. Look at some of the idiots on anti-war marches calling for Israel to be bombed to see what I mean. How can you build a united anti-racist movement when violence against one country, or one racial group, is seen as acceptable?

Thirdly when it comes to racism black people are still far more likely to get the * end of the stick from the British police than Asians, and when it comes to racist attacks, Jews actually suffer more in Britain than Muslims (See for e.g. the figures Greater Manchester Police published just before Christmas)

I suspect meetings like this one are far more motivated by the desire of certain political groups to milk the Muslim community as voting and demonstration fodder than a desire to tackle racism per se.

Fourthly I am Islamaphobic. I am scared of Islam, just as I am scared of all religions. I happen to fear the "religion of peace" (sic) a little bit more than all the others because I know, as a class struggle anarchist, that if I lived in most of the Muslim nations in the world I would either be dead or in prison by now.

Indeed how many Muslim countries would tolerate an internet forum like this?
paul wright

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulStott wrote:
dh wrote:
And so it is Paul

Yes I do.

Firstly because crying "Islamaphobia" daily and saying the US invaded Iraq as part of a "war against Muslims" has been an absolute disaster for the UK anti-war movement. It is dishonest, and amimed at recruiting support from one particular community at the price of lying to the others.

The American strategy is about oil, not religion, and as writers like Nafeez Ahmed point out it is the drive for oil that will continue to motivate future wars, not the perceived Anglo- American opposition to Islam. As we saw recently with the Saudi corruption scandal, we have a Prime Minister who will even rip up tenents of British law in order not to offend the rulers of the richest Muslim nation. A strange "Islamaphobe".

Secondly we used to have an anti-racist movement in the UK that brought together people of all races and creeds. As Peter Tatchell argues, the rise of the "Islamist" politics in the UK has served to marginalise and divide that movement. Look at some of the idiots on anti-war marches calling for Israel to be bombed to see what I mean. How can you build a united anti-racist movement when violence against one country, or one racial group, is seen as acceptable?

Thirdly when it comes to racism black people are still far more likely to get the * end of the stick from the British police than Asians, and when it comes to racist attacks, Jews actually suffer more in Britain than Muslims (See for e.g. the figures Greater Manchester Police published just before Christmas)

I suspect meetings like this one are far more motivated by the desire of certain political groups to milk the Muslim community as voting and demonstration fodder than a desire to tackle racism per se.

Fourthly I am Islamaphobic. I am scared of Islam, just as I am scared of all religions. I happen to fear the "religion of peace" (sic) a little bit more than all the others because I know, as a class struggle anarchist, that if I lived in most of the Muslim nations in the world I would either be dead or in prison by now.

* these are small-minded approaches. I've no approval for the muslim countries - I've proposed on here that the government of Iran is manipulated nonsense just asking for it - and will get it sooner or later
I've no idea why you are Islamophobic- you are just buying in to the picture you've been presented
The islams are the Islams, the fighting and destruction is just crappy constructs coming mostly from the Western culture in terms of deliberate events
What is your problem Paul
Everything we see happening is happening from an agenda.
The agenda for change
The consciousness is being upgraded at the moment - you can see the improvement all over the internet, yet you want to keep the anarchist downgrade propellant at this time.
Give up and get into this revelation

Disco_Destroyer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulStott wrote:
dh wrote:
And so it is Paul

Yes I do.

one should travel before criticising, you're just buying into The West is the Greatest Propaganda which allows us to bully everyone else.

“The more you tighten your grip, the more Star Systems will slip through your fingers.”

www.myspace.com/disco_destroyer
wepmob2000

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not about 'Islamophobia' at all, it just so happens that the most valuable real estate in the world happens to be inhabited by Muslims. If Eskimo's lived there, the cry would be 'Eskimophobia'. I seriously doubt whether Muslims in the Sudan, Bangladesh, or Indonesia have much to fear from the USA, UK, et al.

In a concept thats strange to our Western eyes, many Muslims seem to put faith before nationalism, thus an attack on one Muslim country becomes an attack on Islam. I wonder, hypothetically, if India were to bomb Belgium, whether Europeans would see this as Indian 'Christianophobia'?

Islam itself isn't anything to worry about, the people who twist and skew Islam to suit their own evil agendas are the ones to worry about (like most major religions are twisted and skewed). Such people abuse peoples faith to further their own ends, ask what is censorship in Iran really about??? Is it anything to do with religion or is it control? A true believer, be they Muslim, Jew, or Christian would eschew all the evil paraphernalia associated with their faith (as many do).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> The Accelerationists' Armageddon Project For WWIII, Economic Crash, Starvation & Deadly Pathogens Rampant All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: