FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boycott Israeli Products

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Campaigning
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we boycott all Israeli products in shops
yes
83%
 83%  [ 5 ]
no
16%
 16%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 6

karlos
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Boycott Israeli Products Reply with quote

The NUJ’s Centenary Annual Conference last week debated more than 200 motions on topics ranging from opposition to plans to neuter the UK Freedom of Information Act, to launching a Stand Up for Journalism campaign against low pay and job cuts throughout the media industry. The conference condemned press freedom violations in China, Russia, Pakistan and Zimbabwe, and a special session was held on the kidnapping of Alan Johnston in Gaza and the safety of journalists. Among the motions passed in the international debate was one calling among other things for the NUJ to support a “boycott of Israeli goods by trade unions and the TUC” in response to the situation in Palestine and last year’s conflict in Lebanon.
The call for the boycott in part related it to the kidnap of Alan Johnston. The Palestinian journalists union has given huge support to the campaign for his release - holding demonstrations and strikes against the Palestinian authority to demand more action from them. We work closely with the Palestinian union through the International Federation of Journalists and the boycott call was a gesture of support for the Palestinian people - notably those suffering in the siege of Gaza, the community Alan Johnston has been so keen to help through his reporting.
The boycott call has nothing to do with reporting. The NUJ is not telling members how to report Israel - beyond its permanent injunctions to members to report independently and fairly on all matters, and not to produce racist or discriminatory copy. The union has not and never would adopt a line on how any issue should be reported. We stand for free reporting and free speech – and we criticise those, including the Palestinian and Israeli authorities, when they act against journalists' freedom to report.
It was pointed out in the debate that the year-long boycott of the Palestinian authority by the UK, the US and the European Union, not to mention the government of Israel, has led to a surge in the numbers of people who are unemployed, sick and dying because of the cessation of aid payments and revenue to the Palestinian authorities. This is a boycott of a democratically elected government.
The decision made by elected representatives at our conference was a decision of NUJ members as trade unionists and as citizens to try to help put pressure on the Israeli government to reverse its block of these payments, its refusal to recognise Palestinian journalists carrying the international press card and the general damage being done by the continued occupation.
This is not, as some critics have indicated, an institutional boycott. The NUJ will continue to seek to work with all its sister unions in the region, be they Israelis or Palestinians. In fact the NUJ has sought at every opportunity to find ways of making journalists on both sides of the divide work together to advance common issues that concern journalists And it will continue to act within the framework of the International Federation of Journalists for the unity of all journalists in the region.

Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be more happy using this thread to reserach companies which are specifically involved in furthering illegal occupation and oppression in the territories.

I know of Caterpillar and always tut tut when friends buy jeans or clothes from them- they make big profits off selling bulldozers to destroy palestinian homes.

A blanket boycott is punishing people who may not agree with the Israeli governments policies at all.

While the western media does not show it there are many groups within Israel who protest their governments policies, and a poll in the Independant a couple of years ago showed a massive majority of Israelis would accept a return to pre 67 borders in return for peaceful relations with their neighbours. The problem is all the influence on both sides lies with idealouges and hardliners.

If I was a business owner and found myself boycotted internationally because of Blairs policies I wouldn't think it fair when I hate blair and do not stand behind anything he does.

For a boycott to be just it has to be smart.

So if anyone knows of any companies which specifically profit from illegal occupation or oppression, list them, and I will not use them.

Peace and Truth
karlos
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M&S or Marks and Sparks are the worst offender.
I will not be seen dead wearing any of their stuff.
They use pelestinian 'slave' labour.
and buy most of the foods and clothes from the last remaining apartheid nation.

Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stefan wrote:
I would be more happy using this thread to reserach companies which are specifically involved in furthering illegal occupation and oppression in the territories.
why does it have to be "specifically"? What about boycotting companies that support the zionist administration?

Quote:
A blanket boycott is punishing people who may not agree with the Israeli governments policies at all.
So? Boycotts give the "offending" nation and it's populace a wake up call to what consumers care about. If they dont give a *, they'll do nothing and face the consequences. If the populace do care about what is happening then change might happen.

Quote:
While the western media does not show it there are many groups within Israel who protest their governments policies, and a poll in the Independant a couple of years ago showed a massive majority of Israelis would accept a return to pre 67 borders in return for peaceful relations with their neighbours. The problem is all the influence on both sides lies with idealouges and hardliners.
what about a return to pre 48 borders when it was peaceful and when at least the native inhabitants had a hell of a lot more of a dignified and integrated society?

Quote:
If I was a business owner and found myself boycotted internationally because of Blairs policies I wouldn't think it fair when I hate blair and do not stand behind anything he does.
aren't you missing the point? if you were a business owner and didnt agree with bliar, then you would put pressure on the pm to change his policies wouldnt you? Rolling Eyes

Quote:
For a boycott to be just it has to be smart.
No it doesnt

Quote:
So if anyone knows of any companies which specifically profit from illegal occupation or oppression, list them, and I will not use them.
I know of organisations that benefits from the illegal occupation and oppression... the israeli nation and zionists.

Take a look at www.inminds.co.uk

karlos
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Campaigning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: