FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Al Jazeera - US front or US target?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Critics' Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bushwacker
Relentless Limpet Shill
Relentless Limpet Shill

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:54 pm    Post subject: Al Jazeera - US front or US target? Reply with quote

Two men have just been jailed for leaking a memo detailing a meeting between Bush and Blair which was regarded as "extremely sensitive". The press have been barred from disclosing the contents, but one item made into into the newspapers, a proposal by Bush to bomb the head office of Al Jazeera in Qatar, a solid US ally. Blair is said to have persuaded him that this was a more than usually crazy idea and the plan was dropped, but it does shed new light on earlier incidents which were claimed to be military blunders, In 2001 the station's Kabul office was knocked out by two "smart" bombs. In 2003, Al Jazeera reporter Tareq Ayyoub was killed in a US missile strike on the station's Baghdad centre. The hotel where Al Jazeera correspondents in the southern Iraqi city of Basra was also hit by four bombs that did not explode.

On the other hand, Al Jazeera hosts the bin Laden tapes on its website and treats them as genuine, including the confession video. They appear to have no doubts about the existance and activities of Al Qaeda, and they must be the best informed news source in the Arab world. If this is mentioned, conspiracists airily dismiss Al Jazeera as simply a CIA front. So is it a CIA front, or does Bush really regard it as such a thorn in his side that he is prepared to commit an illegal attack on the territory of one of his allies in the Middle East? Does the best informed news source in the Arab world accept that the OBL tapes are genuine and therefore AQ carried out the 9/11 attacks, or is it a just a CIA front, despite Bush wanting to attack it?

Report of memo's contents
Al Jazeera transcript of OBL video
Al Jazeera reports video of OBL with 9/11 hijackers
karlos
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting question
I personally have watched al jazeera and found it very disappointing

BUT it is still better than nothing
having a semi free independent tv station is better than the status quo

but because it is owned by an arab billionaire depending on his survival for british and us support the editorial comment is only slightly less pro USA than the bbc and sky news
hell it even has all the same presenters including david frost

Relentless Limpet Shill
Relentless Limpet Shill

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stelios wrote:
Interesting question

BUT it is still better than nothing
having a semi free independent tv station is better than the status quo

but because it is owned by an arab billionaire depending on his survival for british and us support the editorial comment is only slightly less pro USA than the bbc and sky news
hell it even has all the same presenters including david frost

If you think it is pro the USA, why do you think Bush wanted to bomb it?
EmptyBee
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't doubt that Bush routinely comes up with inane suggestions in private. I doubt many of them get translated into policy though.

Al Jazeera essentially rose phoenix-like from the ashes of what was going to be BBC Arabic. They're largely moderate and essentially pro-Western, but also pro-Arab. The documentary Control Room gives an inside perspective on the station during the Iraq war. Note that any independent journalists or non-embedded reporters were risking their lives reporting on Iraq. Even John Simpson narrowly avoided being blown away - and he was embedded with the Kurds! However the fact that Al-Jazeera specifically notified the US as to their exact location in Baghdad and still got bombed does look suspicious.

Bushwacker
Relentless Limpet Shill
Relentless Limpet Shill

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the point that Al Jazeera believes in the authenticity of the OBL tapes is countered routinely by the accusation that they are a CIA front, in which case there is no basis for Bush to propose bombing them. If they are in fact what they appear, the fact that they believe in the authenticity of the OBL tapes is very strong evidence that they are indeed authentic, is it not?
Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To paraphrase our beloved Dr Reid:

Bushy, you really just don't get it do you.

EmptyBee
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushwacker wrote:
But the point that Al Jazeera believes in the authenticity of the OBL tapes is countered routinely by the accusation that they are a CIA front, in which case there is no basis for Bush to propose bombing them. If they are in fact what they appear, the fact that they believe in the authenticity of the OBL tapes is very strong evidence that they are indeed authentic, is it not?

Al Jazeera was upsetting Bush because they were reporting civilian casualties. So no, they're hardly a propaganda organ loyal to Washington.

For what it's worth I think the recordings are authentic. It's the people in front of the cameras that are the frauds. Al-Zawahiri was working for the US in the Balkans with the KLA as recently as 1997 for instance. If you're familiar with the history it's clear al-Qaeda was an intelligence asset from its inception.

People seem to fall into the trap of thinking bin Laden and his al-Qaeda cohorts are either terrorists or spooks. It's entirely possible for them to be both!

Bushwacker
Relentless Limpet Shill
Relentless Limpet Shill

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EmptyBee wrote:
Bushwacker wrote:

Al Jazeera was upsetting Bush because they were reporting civilian casualties. So no, they're hardly a propaganda organ loyal to Washington.

For what it's worth I think the recordings are authentic. It's the people in front of the cameras that are the frauds. Al-Zawahiri was working for the US in the Balkans with the KLA as recently as 1997 for instance. If you're familiar with the history it's clear al-Qaeda was an intelligence asset from its inception.

People seem to fall into the trap of thinking bin Laden and his al-Qaeda cohorts are either terrorists or spooks. It's entirely possible for them to be both!

I think that actually the Al-Zawahiri in Kosovo was Ayman Al-Zawahiri's younger brother, Mohamed. In 1996 Ayman was considered a terrorist by the US and is under indictment for his role in the 1998 US Embassy bombings. It is highly unlikely that OBL ever co-operated in any way at any time with the US, given his virulent hatred for the country, which means that AQ cannot be considered ever to have been a US asset, although in such a loose organisation some members may at some time have been playing a double game.
EmptyBee
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushwacker wrote:

I think that actually the Al-Zawahiri in Kosovo was Ayman Al-Zawahiri's younger brother, Mohamed. In 1996 Ayman was considered a terrorist by the US and is under indictment for his role in the 1998 US Embassy bombings. It is highly unlikely that OBL ever co-operated in any way at any time with the US, given his virulent hatred for the country, which means that AQ cannot be considered ever to have been a US asset, although in such a loose organisation some members may at some time have been playing a double game.

The relationship between al-Qaeda and the CIA is doubtless complex.

Ayman al-Zawahiri was apparently in Albania as late as 1999.

Nafeez Ahmed wrote:

According to the Arabic Daily al-Sharq al-Aswat (April 16, 1999), sources linked to bin Laden in London revealed that Ayman al-Zawahiri himself "is currently" in Albania. "Al-Zawahiri and Abu-al-Faraj travelled to Albania some weeks ago, heading a group of Arab mujahideen," even though Albania "is now in the grip of US intelligence."

Even bin Laden is said to have visited (he was apparently issued a Boznia-Herzegovina passport in 1993).

Nafeez Ahmed wrote:

According to Albanian intelligence chief Fatos Klosi, bin Laden had actually visited Albania himself to oversee al-Qaeda's consolidation. The Yugoslav news agency Tanjug confirmed the same in April 2000, noting that he had landed in Kosovo from Albania: "Until recently, bin Laden was training a group of almost 500 mujahadeen from Arab countries around the Albanian towns of Podgrade and Korce for terrorist actions in Kosovo." Tanjug added that a contingent of 2000 "extremists" planned "to set off a new wave of violence."

These reports are considered credible by Interpol. As reported by the Swiss financial daily Neue Zurcher Zeitung, Gwen McClure of Interpol's Criminal Subdivision officially informed a group of parliamentarians from NATO countries on October 23, 2001, of bin Laden's entrenched infiltration of the region, including his meeting in Albania during which he established "many structures and networks... for propaganda and fundraising activities and for providing the Algerian armed groups with logistical support" link

This was all done with our approval:

Nafeez Ahmed wrote:

Extensive military intelligence training and assistance was provided to the KLA in the Kosovo conflict in the late 1990s by both American and British forces. This training continued despite the fact that it was documented in a 1999 US Senate Republican Party Committee that the KLA is closely involved with
Quote:

The extensive Albanian crime network that extends through Europe and into North America, including allegations that a major portion of the KLA finances are derived from that network, mainly proceeds from drug trafficking; and Terrorist organisations motivated by the ideology of radical Islam, including assets of Iran and of the notorious Osama bin-Laden----who has vowed a global war against Americans and American interests.

You are correct that Ayman al-Zawahiri's younger brother, Muhammed, was a leader on the ground:

Nafeez Ahmed wrote:

Citing Albanian intelligence sources, the Toronto based Centre for Peace in the Balkans (CPB) confirms that: "One of the leaders of an elite KLA unit was Muhammed al-Zawahiri, the brother of Dr. Ayman al-Zawahiri, a leader in an Egyptian Jihad organisation and a military commander of Osama bin Laden." Kosovo, the CPB observes is "a paradox where several mortal enemies... Osama bin Laden and the CIA----are standing shoulder to shoulder training the KLA." .... Intelligence sources noted that the plan to expand al-Qaeda operations in the Balkans is being supervised by Ayman, while his younger brother Muhammed is charged with recruiting mujahideen.

This and numerous other dubious relationships between al-Qaeda and CIA allied intelligence agencies are documented in Nafeez Ahmed's book, The War on Truth. I found it very educational. Smile

pepik
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These attempts to link OBL to the CIA are so pathetic I'm surprised they havent' been abandoned. The CIA had spies and contacts inside the KGB - does that mean the CIA controlled the KGB? I have contacts at numerous companies - does that mean I control these companies?

I don't know why you continually set the standard of evidence so low and then expect people to take you seriously.

Nafeez Ahmed is so far from being a credible journalist that he makes Alex Jones look good. If you are that desperate you need a new theory.

"could it be that ww2 and the extermination of jewish people was planned as a way of creating a race of people who it would be difficult to blame for anything, a cover race for the illuminati?" - a quote NOT from the 'controversial theories' section.
EmptyBee
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Pepik but it goes beyond mere spying. There is a clearly documented evidence of what appears to have been at least a 'hands off' approach to al-Qaeda activity, and at worst an active facilitation of their activities by the CIA, the FBI and their allies across the globe. The fact that you are unaware of this is not entirely your own fault, as there's a pretty blatant media bias against such politically problematic information.

By the way Ahmed not a journalist by profession, he's an academic and author. I would have thought you might know that. If you want to discredit him, I suggest you actually read him first.

pepik
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Clearly documented" depends on how low your standards are. Like Ahmed, you assume a god like power of the CIA to control everything it touches. Its ridiculous. Allegations that someone is in a country allegedly "controlled" by the CIA is so far from being clearly documented or proof of anything... I'm surprised you even bother with such innuendo.

All I've seen so far is flimsy allegations and loose connections. But this is exactly the kind of thing Ahmed does, from what I have read of his work (casual flip throughs at a bookstore, admittedly). I also see he is involved in a 911 conspiracy project. He loves referring to other people's belief in 911 conspiracy theories, often praising their credentials, but is careful not to allege anything himself. Let other people do the dirty work.

He's one of those clowns who constantly trot out some about "some people claim" and then bring up some ludicrous allegations, but by doing it at arms length he manages to promote utter garbage while insulating himself from any responsibility for it. I would consider him Chomsky style propagandist and hate monger of the highest (lowest?) order.

"could it be that ww2 and the extermination of jewish people was planned as a way of creating a race of people who it would be difficult to blame for anything, a cover race for the illuminati?" - a quote NOT from the 'controversial theories' section.
EmptyBee
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact that you consider Chomsky a propagandist tells me I should probably give up on you now.

However, you are correct that much of Ahmed's analysis involves quoting the work of authors and researchers who are inevitably considered "beyond the pale." However I would suggest that the actual content of the research in question is more important than their reputation, because it seems to me that anyone who steps outside what is considered the politically correct boundaries for mainstream opinion inevitably is subject to smears and casual dismissal.
Take Daniel Hopsicker; he had a nice job in the MSM until he made the foolish mistake of doing a documentary on the CIA's involvement in trafficking drugs. You only need to look as far as the late Gary Webb to see how bad a career move that was. Webb was a Pulitzer prize winner with a great future until he wrote the Dark Alliance articles and refused to retract them. It didn't turn out too well for him did it? No 'respectable' publication would touch him after that. He ended up divorced and blowing his own brains out in a bedsit. Oh yeah, all these 'conspiracy theorists' are just cashing in on our gullibility right?

That said, like Paul Thompson, much, if not most of Nafeez Ahmed's writing does not depend on such 'discreditable' sources, but rather comes from mainstream press sources, where most of the information you need can actually be found.

As weird as it may seem I have this naive belief that even people like you, Pepik, actually would rather know the truth about, 9/11, the War on Terror and the War on Drugs. Unfortunately I think in order to do that you have to be willing to entertain the possibility that you are being poorly served by the MSM and government, and that means being willing to accept that people such as Nafeez Ahmed are actually involved in legitimate research.

pepik
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, since Chomsky thinks 911 troofers are loons too. Oh well, I guess the NWO bought him out too.

I think you'd have to be ignorant beyond belief to claim that all journalists who step outside the mainstream put their life in danger. Maybe you are living out some fantasy that you are some heroic resistance fighter, risking you life every time you post a crackpot conspiracy theory on the web. Well the sad thing is your life isn't nearly that exciting.

I've read all about the CIA and drugs. I think Webb's story was largely true, except the part about Contra cocaine creating the crack epidemic, which was the part he was criticised for. Sadly, his claims are regularly exaggerated and misrepresented by conspiracy theorists.

I've read much better work by McCoy, who wrote "The Politics of Heroin" in 1972. More than three decades later the book in still in print, up to its third edition and available in nine languages. He went on to produce other books, win prizes, and is a professor at a US University. As far as I know he sleeps pretty well at night.

I consider McCoy a researcher of the highest standards. To compare him or Webb to Nafeez Ahmed is a joke and not a particularly funny one. Nafeez is not in search of the truth, he is a hatemonger on a mission to villify the west by any means possible. He is a preacher to the converted, someone who is praised for telling people what they want to hear. Obviously there is a market for that.

EmptyBee
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepik wrote:
Funny, since Chomsky thinks 911 troofers are loons too. Oh well, I guess the NWO bought him out too.

Chomsky's just clever enough (and hypocritical enough, unfortunately) to realise that stepping sufficiently outside the mainstream on particular issues would have him lumped in with 'the loons' too.

Quote:

I think you'd have to be ignorant beyond belief to claim that all journalists who step outside the mainstream put their life in danger. Maybe you are living out some fantasy that you are some heroic resistance fighter, risking you life every time you post a crackpot conspiracy theory on the web. Well the sad thing is your life isn't nearly that exciting.

Yes, it's a pretty strong myth that journalists that get a hold of a big story are bound to be lionised as heroes and immune from slander. The thing is that's it's true, until you cross certain lines on particular subjects. Gary Webb crossed such a line and it cost him his career.

Quote:

I've read all about the CIA and drugs. I think Webb's story was largely true, except the part about Contra cocaine creating the crack epidemic, which was the part he was criticised for. Sadly, his claims are regularly exaggerated and misrepresented by conspiracy theorists.

I've read much better work by McCoy, who wrote "The Politics of Heroin" in 1972. More than three decades later the book in still in print, up to its third edition and available in nine languages. He went on to produce other books, win prizes, and is a professor at a US University. As far as I know he sleeps pretty well at night.

If a work is academic enough (i.e. has a small enough audience) then you can get away with a lot more. A prime example in works on government sponsored terrorism is Daniele Ganser's NATO's Secret Armies. I don't suppose he has much trouble sleeping at night either. Hell, even the BBC ran a documentary series in the early 90s on the subject of Operation Gladio that would be unthinkable in the current political climate.

The fact is that provided enough time has elapsed, or events have lost their political charge, it's possible to tell the truth about them. Take Robert B. Stinnett's widely praised Day of Deceit on Pearl Harbor. That was published in 2000 to high praise from the NY Times and The Wall Street Journal. Are you naive enough to think the same book would get such rave reviews a year later, or today?

Quote:

I consider McCoy a researcher of the highest standards. To compare him or Webb to Nafeez Ahmed is a joke and not a particularly funny one. Nafeez is not in search of the truth, he is a hatemonger on a mission to villify the west by any means possible. He is a preacher to the converted, someone who is praised for telling people what they want to hear. Obviously there is a market for that.

The West does its own job of acting the villain quite well enough to ensure that simple reporting of the facts is sufficient to 'villify' it. The fact that you can't do that without being called a hate-monger by people such as yourself tells me all I need to know about your capacity to think critically about the War on Terror and 9/11.

pepik
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see so Chomsky is great, except when he disagrees with you.

And reporters can't report on the bad stuff, except when they do.

I think you need to get away from the idea that people calling you crazy means you must be on to something. Sadly, that isn't true.

EmptyBee
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it's you who needs to reconsider whether just because someone is called a kook or a "conspiracy theorist" that automatically means they're full of it?

It's called an ad hominem argument, and I believe it's generally regarded as fallacious.

conspiracy analyst
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 11:36 pm    Post subject: The headquarters of the US army Reply with quote

for the whole Middle East region is based in the same location as Al Jazeera.

The undisputed fact that they use mostly western reporters and they have a direct line with the Bin Laden Hollywood production series show a link.

The question at the end of the day is if one believes a 'left' persona is created and manufactured by the powers that be or that it happens coincidentally.

Al Jazeera markets its propaganda for an Arab audience, not a British or a US one. Under those circumstances it would have to have an 'anti-american' flavour. Why? How else could it run the line that Al Quaeda is both real, both anti-american and almost everywhere?

After all most Arabs according to all media reports PRIOR to the 9/11 movement believed 9/11 was an inside job. If Arabs were that good they would have done something of that size in Israel prior to 9/11 and thereafter.

They didn't. Why?
pepik
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Arabs could have done it they would have already done it, so that proves they couldn't have done it.

Whatever you say mate.

kc
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think you'd have to be ignorant beyond belief to claim that all journalists who step outside the mainstream put their life in danger.

Ever heard of Terry Loyd?
pepik
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please point out the part where I said "journalists never get hurt, even on battlefields".

Otherwise, try to come up with a valid point.

ian neal
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bushwacker wrote:
stelios wrote:
Interesting question

BUT it is still better than nothing having a semi free independent tv station is better than the status quo

but because it is owned by an arab billionaire depending on his survival for british and us support the editorial comment is only slightly less pro USA than the bbc and sky news hell it even has all the same presenters including david frost

Al J is only 'better than nothing' as long as it is not a front organisation. Given its close links to the BBC in its origin and the very useful role it plays in providing 'the official opposition': ie critical of the US up to a point whilst being uncritical of its principle myths, I strongly suspect it is a front organisation.

Why threaten to bomb it? To boost its 'street cred' of course. How can anyone suspect it is actually a front organisation if Bush threatens to bomb it? Or at least that's how their logic goes

As usual, it's smoke and mirrors
Bushwacker
Relentless Limpet Shill
Relentless Limpet Shill

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian neal wrote:
Bushwacker wrote:
stelios wrote:
Interesting question

BUT it is still better than nothing having a semi free independent tv station is better than the status quo

but because it is owned by an arab billionaire depending on his survival for british and us support the editorial comment is only slightly less pro USA than the bbc and sky news hell it even has all the same presenters including david frost

Al J is only 'better than nothing' as long as it is not a front organisation. Given its close links to the BBC in its origin and the very useful role it plays in providing 'the official opposition': ie critical of the US up to a point whilst being uncritical of its principle myths, I strongly suspect it is a front organisation.

Why threaten to bomb it? To boost its 'street cred' of course. How can anyone suspect it is actually a front organisation if Bush threatens to bomb it? Or at least that's how their logic goes

As usual, it's smoke and mirrors

But I suppose that it is no using threatening to bomb it if no one knows, so the two men who were jailed for leaking that information were told to do so? And the Al Jazeera journalist in Guantanimo Bay is there also to reinforce its street cred? It certainly is a hard life working for the government, I do hope the remuneration package recognises that!

As usual, flaws in a conspiracy theory are explained by making the conspiracy bigger still - wider and yet wider shall its bounds be stretched until half the world is involved, but that is no bar to believers in it, who must practise like the White Queen:

"Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things."
"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."
Alice in Wonderland.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Critics' Corner All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: