FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Provoking Iran - Salman Rushdie's gong

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SHERITON HOTEL
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Provoking Iran - Salman Rushdie's gong Reply with quote

This stinks of Cambell/Mandleson! clear provocation to Iran, what else could it be? services to literature? pah!
kbo234
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, without jumping to this conclusion, it is certainly at the very least a puzzle.

Has anyone ever tried to read a Salman Rushdie book? I found "Midnight's Children" utterly unreadable.
The whole project "The Satanic Verses" was quite vile.....almost unbelievably offensive to conventional tastes and obviously deeply offensive to Muslims. It is quite possible to be critical of a religion and its ideas without violating sensibilities and dignity to the degree that Rushdie did......

......rather like the 'Gilbert and George' works of 'Art' that have explored Christian themes and symbolism by their producing pieces created from their own excrement......it is clear that the likes of Saatchi, his acolytes and all the other voices of 'high culture' in the mainstream media promote precisely this kind of degenerate rubbish.

Modern 'Art', like its directly commercial cousin 'the advert', is a pretty undisguised attack on the subconscious of the entire community. The fact that so many people are aware that they are being worked on does not necessarily make this attack much less effective.
karlos
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is a bloody disgrace.

If he had stuck to making us eat fresh cream cakes 'naughty but nice' and eating aero 'irresistabubble' that would have been ok.

Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Gong 4 Rushdie??? Reply with quote

SHERITON HOTEL wrote:
This stinks of Cambell/Mandleson! clear provocation to Iran, what else could it be? services to literature? pah!

It could be an assertion that there is some liberty left: the freedom to discuss religion irreverently. Salman, whom I was at school with, was brought up a Muslim and clearly has problems over his relationship with that religion. I find the irreverend way he writes of it similar to the way I hear many ex-Catholics speak about their religion - not mincing words!

I have read Satanic verses. I didn't find it easy to follow and certainly don't regard it as a literary masterpiece. I feel sure it was designed as two fingers to Muslim orthodoxy. But must religious orthodoxy be protected by law from insult? In a secular state should we no longer have the freedom to speak irreverendly about religion? I find that a dangerous trend.

I have never understood why a story featuring a fictitious Muslim Bollywood film-star who has dream in which someone says some insulting things about a religion resembling Islam, should warrant a death sentence on the author and a bounty put upon his head.

I daresay the government is trying to provoke Iran, but there will be others supporting Rushdie's knighthood, who quite genuinely believe that the Rushdie case was an outrageous attack on liberty. I am reminded of the vilification of Galileo, Darwin, the early Quakers in Britain and America, of the early Bahais in Iran, the torture and burning to death of Protestants under Queen Mary I in England and the attack on Catholicism by subsequent governments, and intolerance of dissenting religious views wherever they occur. People often feel angry about religious views they have imposed upon them. Is a secular society to condemn them for expressing themselves angrily in writing?

Given widespread ill-feeling towards Rushdie in Britain which I have come across, usually from people who have only read an extract from Satanic Verses which, out of context, appears to be an attack on Islam by Rushdie rather than one of the many voices in his book expressing conflicting religious views, it is quite possible that the government intends his knighthood as a provocation to British Muslims or a way of saying "This is the kind of British Muslim we would like you to be."

I am opposed to the stirring up of trouble, but I do think our right to express ourselves freely is steadily being eroded. Perhaps the government thinks that if we all get excited about lack of liberty in Iran, we won't notice how they have taken away our liberties in Britain.

Noel
Disco_Destroyer
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spot on Noel! It is a stone for two birds and unfortunately designed to excite both parties Sad Gotter hand it too them they're devious and clever fuc_ers and undoubtedly they've hung on to this plan for the right moment!
On a slant now I went to see that Taking Liberties film (just back) and I urge all to see it support it and try to get others to see it!
On the downside I was collared on the way out by two guys and we had a brief but interesting chat, they were quick to point out that much of the content (New Laws) were taking place long before Blair took office. Which of course I and probably most of us agree with, therefore showing cross-party agendas. I actually stated that and that its basically a case of being run by the bigger Mafia! Now for the bad bit, I continued and offered some deception dollars which they were greatful for (and knew of the websites) so I preceeded to offer a new DVD to which the reply was is that one of those conpiracy theories!!
Now WTF wait a minute here we've been discussing conspiracy to disenfranchise the UK public across both sides of the political illusion (spectrum) and suddenly woh 9/11 is too much?? The mind boggles to the inner workings of some people it really does Rolling Eyes as you may be able to tell that has somewhat annoyed me tonight Crying or Very sad

“The more you tighten your grip, the more Star Systems will slip through your fingers.”

www.myspace.com/disco_destroyer
karlos
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco_Destroyer wrote:
Spot on Noel! It is a stone for two birds and unfortunately designed to excite both parties Sad Gotter hand it too them they're devious and clever fuc_ers and undoubtedly they've hung on to this plan for the right moment!
On a slant now I went to see that Taking Liberties film (just back) and I urge all to see it support it and try to get others to see it!
On the downside I was collared on the way out by two guys and we had a brief but interesting chat, they were quick to point out that much of the content (New Laws) were taking place long before Blair took office. Which of course I and probably most of us agree with, therefore showing cross-party agendas. I actually stated that and that its basically a case of being run by the bigger Mafia! Now for the bad bit, I continued and offered some deception dollars which they were greatful for (and knew of the websites) so I preceeded to offer a new DVD to which the reply was is that one of those conpiracy theories!!
Now WTF wait a minute here we've been discussing conspiracy to disenfranchise the UK public across both sides of the political illusion (spectrum) and suddenly woh 9/11 is too much?? The mind boggles to the inner workings of some people it really does Rolling Eyes as you may be able to tell that has somewhat annoyed me tonight Crying or Very sad

do you think it would be worth us picketting screenings of the movie and handing out our own dvds and leaflets?

Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Gong 4 Rushdie??? Reply with quote

[quote="xmasdale"]
SHERITON HOTEL wrote:
But must religious orthodoxy be protected by law from insult?

No.....it is impossible to draw any line that can define a point where criticism, even angry criticism. becomes gratuitously grossly offensive. Even if it were, the law would not be an appropriate instrument to deal with this kind of thing. All one can do is ignore the 'Piss Christs', etc as beneath contempt.

The thing that makes me angry is that this is the kind of art that the moneyed establishment choose to promote.
rodin
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Gong 4 Rushdie??? Reply with quote

[quote="kbo234"]
xmasdale wrote:
SHERITON HOTEL wrote:
But must religious orthodoxy be protected by law from insult?

No.....it is impossible to draw any line that can define a point where criticism, even angry criticism. becomes gratuitously grossly offensive. Even if it were, the law would not be an appropriate instrument to deal with this kind of thing. All one can do is ignore the 'Piss Christs', etc as beneath contempt.

The thing that makes me angry is that this is the kind of art that the moneyed establishment choose to promote.

Art has been deliberately debased. I mean, Tracey Emin??? Jeez - I fell for pop art - thought it very clever and anti-establishment. Now I think it was probably an establishment movement.

As for censoring criticism - of course not.

Unless of course it's 'anti-semitic'.

xmasdale
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stelios wrote:

do you think it would be worth us picketting screenings of the movie and handing out our own dvds and leaflets?

Yes, and an appropriate leaflet is needed, but I've currently got my hands full working on a leaflet and a booklet for Pride.

Any volunteers to write one?
xmasdale
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another movie worth leafletting, though I haven't seen it yet, should be John Pilger's War on Democracy, though according to his website it's only being screened at three places in London and one in Manchester Sad

http://www.johnpilger.com/
xmasdale
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disco_Destroyer wrote:
I continued and offered some deception dollars which they were greatful for (and knew of the websites) so I preceeded to offer a new DVD to which the reply was is that one of those conpiracy theories!!

Unfortunately the populace seems to have been well conditioned to associate questioning the veracity of George Bush's account of 9/11 as "conspiracy theory" and to conclude that any such theory must be crazy. It started with George Bush's speech to the UN "Let us never tolerate outrageous conspiracy theories about 9/11..." and keeps being reinforced in the mainstream media ever since.

My tactic is to try to engage people in a discussion about what "conspiracy theory" means by asking them a question like "What is your definition of 'conspiracy theory'?" Eventually I try to get round to pointing out that when two or more people plan to commit a crime a conspiricay by definition exists and therefore any theory about that crime is a "conspiracy theory". I then point out that the important question is therefore not whether or not you are a conspiracy theorist, but for which theory do you find the evidence most compelling.

Sometimes it works, but not always. I find I often have to do a lot of patient listening before being able to make those points in such a way that they are understood. The trick, I find, is to listen carefully to what is being said, to try to approach it with an understanding that they are having difficulty coming to terms with something, just as I did when I first heard people doubting the official story. A genuine understanding of where they're coming from can help me to keep my temper. Once I lose it, I lose the argument.
Zabooka
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the issue I see. Salman Rushdie, who is supposed to have been brought up Muslim, knows less about Islam than Richard Dawkins.

The way Richard Dawkins attacks Islam compared to how Salman Rushdie attacks Islam... is interesting, do you not think?

So when someone says, here is a guy who was a Muslim, or brought up Muslim. I say... really? I show them, here is a guy that was never Muslim and never brought up Muslim (Dawkins), yet I could learn a lot more about Islam from him than Rushdie.

Also... Rusdie would have not sold as much and become as famous or infamous, if it were not for the reaction of some Muslims. I do not completely endorse their reactions. Thats not my particular style.

Then you have Dawkins, who is selling much better, writes a lot better and so forth, without death threats. Instead he is invited to debates and discussions.

Its just interesting to compare the two. Makes Rushdie look so much more pathetic even by standards of his close peers one imagines.

I still hold true to my belief and principle when I was atheist. If your religion is true, then why fear attacks? You should welcome them and have certainty that they will not be able to defeat your religion.

And this is how I am now with regards to my belief in Islam. I would not have been amongst those burning books and calling for the death of Rushdie. I would possibly do what Ahmed Deedat perhaps wanted to do at the time, which was to do a live televised debate, which he has done throughout his life with many people.

I still see a small sign of insecurity in people who lose it when something strikes them. Even if they are doing it because of sincere devoted true love of their faith. I want to have that sincere devoted true love of my faith too, I believe its healthy. However its unhealthy when its not in moderation or in balance with the rest of reality, within oneself and outside of yourself. For instance, yes your in love, but what good is that to someone who is not in love? You have to drop your emotional level and get to the common ground level of intellectual discourse.

Atheists too I feel also go to that extreme (some of them at times), for many have it based on as much an emotional basis as an intellectual basis. This is a human nature, a human problem. Unfortunately too many people do not know how to communicate and understand communication, on ALL SIDES! You want to express your emotions and feelings yes, but you need to understand your intellect and use that first, then you use that to understand the other person's thoughts, feelings. We are taught, that communication is about the reaction you get. Too many people are heedless of the reaction they get, they just demand a narrow reaction, when that doesn't happen they just give up. Thats the listening part, we take for granted, but do not pay enough attention to.

Though I do not want to get into that debate here. I hope I have addressed this thread and its posters fairly.

man I write too much... haha.
xmasdale
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zabooka wrote:

I still hold true to my belief and principle when I was atheist. If your religion is true, then why fear attacks? You should welcome them and have certainty that they will not be able to defeat your religion.

That's just how I feel, having also been an atheist for many years and then, as a result of spiritual experience, forming a belief in the numinous.

Zabooka wrote:

man I write too much... haha.

No you don't. You write good sense.
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an AMAZING guy! A prophet! He was into hating Muslims ten years before Dodi Al Fayed was murdered and fifteen years before 9/11! - BTW One of the PC brigade's ever quoted 'expert' morons who pontificates on all the big subjects of the world while continuing to look and act like a total creep.

Pakistan deplores British knighthood for Rushdie
Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:19AM EDT
http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSISL10164220070618?sp=true

ISLAMABAD (Reuters) - Pakistan deplored on Monday Britain's decision to award a knighthood to author Salman Rushdie, whose novel "The Satanic Verses" outraged many Muslims around the world

Rushdie was awarded a knighthood for services to literature in Queen Elizabeth's birthday honors list published on Saturday.

Iran accused Britain on Sunday of insulting Islamic values by knighting Rushdie.

In Pakistan, students affiliated with a religious party protested in two towns while Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Tasnim Aslam said the decision to honor Rushdie was insensitive to the sentiments of Muslims.

"We deplore the decision of the British government to knight him. This, we feel, is insensitive and we would convey our sentiments to the British government," Aslam told a regular briefing.

"Salman Rushdie has tried to insult and malign Muslims through his writings and this had provoked very strong reaction and sentiments in the Muslim world," she said.

Rushdie's book prompted protests, some violent, by Muslims in many countries after it was published in 1988. The late Iranian Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini issued a fatwa death warrant against Rushdie in 1989, forcing him into hiding for nine years.

Earlier on Monday, Pakistan's parliament adopted a resolution condemning the knighthood and said Britain should withdraw it.

"This is a source of hurt for Muslims and will encourage people to commit blasphemy against the Prophet Mohammad," Minister for Parliamentary Affairs Sher Afgan Khan Niazi told parliament.

"We demand Britain desist from such actions and withdraw the title of knighthood," he said.

Farhana Khalid Binori, a Pakistani woman member of parliament from a conservative religious party, said Rushdie's knighthood was an insult.

"It is a slap on the face of Muslims. It is not acceptable at all," she said.

British's twice-yearly honors ritual -- designed to recognize outstanding achievement -- is part of an ancient and complex awards system. A total of 946 honors were handed out in the birthday list, including 21 knighthoods.

www.actorsandartistsfor911truth.org
www.mediafor911truth.org
www.pilotsfor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
www.radio4all.net/index.php/contributor/2149
http://utangente.free.fr/2003/media2003.pdf
"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung
https://37.220.108.147/members/www.bilderberg.org/phpBB2/
Zabooka
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grrr... Forum Traffic Probs made me get impatient and click a few times, meaning I have double posted.

And thank you kindly for your post xmasdale, Im glad you feel so about my posts Smile
Zabooka
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jamaat.net/rushdie/Rushdie.html
Quote:
One can't help agreeing that "The Satanic Verses" is a masterpiece for *-up the English language. He has conjoined his word "*" with every letter of the alphabet. Here is a quick summary of some of them. Verify the rest at leisure.

With the Letter a: Pages from TVS "* A" 245
"* ALLIES" 269
"* AMERICANS" 280
"* ARGENTINA" 268
"* BEATLES" 163
"* BEDPAN" 169
"* CLASS" 270
"* CREEP" 178
"* CLOWNS" 101
"* COMMANDOS" 80
"* DIFF?" 262
"* DYNASTY" 265
"* DOGS" 410
"* DREAMS" 122
"ENJOY *" 149
"* GUITAR" 269
"* HORNY" 158
"* HELLHOLE" 180
"* IDIOT" 526

Please forgive me, if it is getting too boring. Here is a little variation:

* TANK * PEE AITCH DEE * COUNTRY All this from a single page: 268 TVS * LIFE * NATION THE b****** Why you enjoy * with this one p 149
You are * my woman p 207
Don't holy men ever *? p 278
God's own permission to * p 386

I have had enough of this "* *" (words borrowed from Satanic Salman). Let me end with a last bit "WILD DONKEYS * WEARILY AND DROPPING DEAD STILL CONJOINED" (page 479 TVS).

Quote:
THE IRON LADY

My wife has a special liking for Mrs. Thatcher. She cannot explain. She does not understand her politics. Perhaps it is the clarity of her voice and forceful speeches that attract her to the "Iron lady."

Islam forbids the giving of offensive nick-names to anybody. I take it that "Iron Lady" is not offensive. If it is, my apologies. I owe Mrs. Thatcher nothing. But my wife and I were offended on learning that beside disparaging her successful economic policies with obscenities (refer page 10 herof), now he makes his character to say "I'M TALKING ABOUT YOU-KNOW-WHO," VALANCE EXPLAINED HELPFULLY. "TORTURE. MAGGIE THE BITCH." TVS p 269.

Mickey Rourke (p Cool used only a four-letter word for Mrs Thatcher's POLICIES and Britain was incensed, but when Rushdie applies a five-letter title (B-I-T-C-H), it becomes Kosher10. Halaal, Permissible! Strange. Oh British, how did Rushdie bewitch you with b-i-t-c-h?
Quote:
THE QUEEN NOT SPARED

I was born British. I still cherish a British passport over 60 years old. I don't know what's its worth. English has become my mother tongue. I dream in English and I also swear in English. I have visited Britain a dozen times. More than once I was tempted to visit the Speakers' Corner, Hyde Park, London, enjoying the many passionate and vehement harangues. It's free for all. One is allowed to curse, abuse and swear anybody and everybody. The law of libel and defamation does not apply in this haven of free speech and unbridled expressions. Yet I am told that Her Majesty the Queen of England is above any abuse or tirade. She is sacrosanct! Not only in Hyde Park but throughout Britain either by word of mouth or through the media, "THOU SHALT NOT DENIGRATE THE QUEEN."

A retired employee at Buckingham Palace wrote a book entitled "Officially Speaking" about the goings-on in the Royal precincts. About drunken orgies and sexual frolics among the Royalty. The publication of this piece of Royal gossip has rightly been suppressed by Mrs Thatcher's government. Amazing England! Rushdie prevails where a blue-blooded Englishman fails. Thanks to Maggie and her British votaries of free speech.

ONLY DERAMING SEX WITH QUEEN

Chamcha (another name of Rushdie in the TSV, see page 12) he found himself dreaming of the Queen, of MAKING TENDER LOVE to the MONARCH. She was the body Britain, the avatar of the state, and he had chosen her, JOINED WITH HER; she was his Beloved, the moon of his delight."11(Page 169 of TSV.) What is Rushdie telling his readers, if not that he * her Majesty. "Joined with her," above compare with his expression "STILL CONJOINED," on page 12.

I expect some British blockhead of the literary world to cry "Oh! Rushdie only * our Queen in his dream." It is all fiction. After all, we can´t hold a man accountable for his dreams. That is true, but "O pervert!" Rushdie was not dreaming when he penned those words!
http://www.jamaat.net/rushdie/Rushdie.html

This is an excerpt from an online publication of Ahmed's piece on Rushdie and his works.
Disco_Destroyer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I guess spreading 9/11 at the screenings would be OK, you'd have to be a good conversationalist though as once I produced the DVD I found it very hard to continue as they blanked me Sad but yea sure many people would probably appreciate the time and effort. there was only around 30 people at the Sunday showing though, but with no publicity what does one expect?

“The more you tighten your grip, the more Star Systems will slip through your fingers.”

Disco_Destroyer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Provoking Iran - Salman Rushdie's gong Reply with quote

SHERITON HOTEL wrote:

Ahaha Radio Five live today a spokesperson on behalf of the decision has stated in regard to Pakistan wait for it 'I said they needn't get invoved' so that clearly says who they aim their propaganda at!!

karlos
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As George Galloway said on his show thie was a Tony Blair nominee designed as a deliberate 2 fingered jesture to all the muslims here and abroad.

In the same way last year Tony Blair gave a knighthood to Stelios Haji-Ioannou which was seen as a deliberate provocation to all the environmentalists.
Who i must say quite rightly staged a sit in at Mr Ioannou's offices in Inverness street, Camden NW1.

Salman Rushdee has caused more anger and bad feeling across the world than any writing since Mein Kampe and has only recently been usurped by Jerry Springer the Opera.

Tony Blair knows exactly what game he is playing and i just hope that muslims direct their anger at Tony Blair who is the organ grinder rather than Salmon Rushdee who is indeed the monkey.
What is shocking is at the last election many muslim self haters still voted Labour. Labour in 1997 declared war against all muslims.
For goodness sake if any muslim is reading this take the boulder out of your eyes. Labour is politics of hate, politics of envy, politics of divide and rule. Do not accept it. Tony Blair is a war criminal and needs to be brought to the war crimes court in the Hague.
Every muslim should direct their attention to that aim.

Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gong 4 Rushdie??? Reply with quote

xmasdale wrote:
In a secular state should we no longer have the freedom to speak irreverently about religion?

We in the UK don't live in one.
Disco_Destroyer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This situation would be no different under Conservatives! The agenda is pre-arranged and handed down on a plate. This all started way before Blair and to my mind started quite possibly with an assassination in 1914 Razz or even more likely pre-dates Christ. Christ being the 1st documented guy to try and do something about the situation!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: