FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plane spotters recruited for anti-terror work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Plane spotters recruited for anti-terror work Reply with quote

Plane spotters recruited for anti-terror work

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;jsessionid=3LDC5JV0RJ3IFQFI QMGCFFWAVCBQUIV0?xml=/news/2007/07/18/nplane118.xml

By Paul Stokes
Last Updated: 3:00am BST 19/07/2007

Plane spotters are being recruited as police look-outs in the fight against terror attacks on Britain’s airports.

Plane spotters recruited for anti-terror surveillance

Detectives have called a meeting with the aircraft enthusiasts to discuss plans for their help in surveillance at Durham Tees Valley Airport.

The “anoraks” often occupy vantage points around the terminal building and are being considered as “extra eyes and ears” for security purposes.

Det Supt Neil Malkin, of Durham Police, said: “We have thought for some time the plane spotters may be a very useful source of information.

"They are at the site on a regular basis and could potentially be the first to spot any suspicious activity.

"This idea has worked in other areas and if there are sufficient numbers interested, it could be just as effective up here.”

The force stressed the idea was raised long before the recent attack at Glasgow airport’s terminal building using a blazing vehicle.

Plane spotters will meet police at the airport next week to consider introducing an Airport Watch scheme similar to one introduced at Bristol Airport.

Nicola Baines, Durham Tess Valley airport services manager said: “Such a scheme will allow the police and other agencies to share information more easily and effectively.”

Passengers using the airport, near Darlington, to head to Tenerife yesterday were less enthusiastic about the use of volunteers in the sensitive area of security.

Danielle Newport, 20, a call centre worker from Sunderland, said: “I can’t believe some geeks in bobble hats are supposed to protect us from hardened terrorists.

"The police might live to regret this because they’ll be getting hundreds of calls from the spotters.

"If terrorists have targeted a plane and you are on it there is nothing a plane spotter can do to help you. It’s a crackpot plan.”

David Mercer, 24, a tattoo artist, from Hetton-le-hole, Co Durham, who was awaiting a flight to Tenerife, said: “It’s stupid - what exactly is a plane spotter going to do?

"If that is our protection against terrorists then I am worried. The terrorists would never stop me flying but I would like to see more security at the airport.”

Steven Doherty, 38, a care worker from Glasgow, said: “It sounds a bit like desperate measures to me.

"What are we going to have - vigilante plane spotters attacking potential terrorists at airports?

"Realistically, if something is going to happen there is very little anything can be done to stop it. The only reason the attack failed at Glasgow airport was because the terrorists messed up - it wasn’t the police that stopped them.”

Ashok Kumar, Labour MP for Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland, said: “At first sight it seems a bit odd, but then we do have neighbourhood watch, and that does help the police in their work.

"However it can be no substitute for proper policing and tight and tough security from professionals, who know the kind of threat they and we could be up against.”

A Bristol International Airport spokesman said its Airport Watch was introduced in March and used many aviation enthusiasts who regular watched aircraft from around the perimeter.

He said the scheme is about making them aware what they should look out for and who to contact if they have any concerns.

==============================================

Today's announcement comes 9 days and 11 months after the chemistry lab in aircraft toilets fairy tale of 10.8.2006

kc
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dont forget, these "geeks in bobble hats" were also able to work together and provide hard evidence of CIA rendition flights whilst the rest of us were just moaning about them from our armchairs
Busker
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kc wrote:
dont forget, these "geeks in bobble hats" were also able to work together and provide hard evidence of CIA rendition flights whilst the rest of us were just moaning about them from our armchairs

That's the big worry for me.

If they are signed up to some police scheme are they going to be able to report future rendition flights.
Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are they supposed to witness as far as terrorism is concerned ?
Disco_Destroyer
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you know, oversized baggage, liquid, ticking packages you know the sort of thing!
Trouble is I'd guess anybody would report things out of the ordinary, plane spotters included so, I'd say its just the next stage of 1984 where the dumb prols get to dob on each other!

“The more you tighten your grip, the more Star Systems will slip through your fingers.”

www.myspace.com/disco_destroyer
Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With my incredibly powerful binoculars I saw the suspects in the aircraft toilets at 30,000 feet mixing up the HMTD me lud.

Good points made about probable non-disclosure agreements and the thin end of a very obvious terror related meme to kick start Admiral Sir Alan West's snitching campaign.

Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Article covering this issue at the Plane Spotters website LAAS

The scheme is known as THE AVIATION ENTHUSIASTS SECURITY SCHEME - taess.

http://www.laasdata.com/taess.html

Quote:
taess CODE of PRACTICE

SECURITY-AIRPORTS

* Be on the lookout for any suspicious activity.

* Are there ‘strange’ individuals viewing that are not Enthusiasts?

* Is there someone watching movements of people and vehicles?

* The Police encourage everyone, but particularly those who know the workings of an airport and can therefore spot something out of the ordinary, to contact them if they believe something they see or hear is suspicious.

* Even if you are unsure of your suspicion please don’t hesitate to contact a local officer or ring the Hot Line.

* The source of your suspicion may turn out to be innocent, it could be related to criminal activity rather than terrorism and you may also be providing vital information.

VIGILANCE SAVES LIVES-DON’T HESTITATE-CALL THE HOT LINE-0800 789321-SPEAK DIRECTLY TO A POLICE OFFICER.

And a thread from the Pilots Rumour Network forum where Ian Shoesmith from the BBC asks for their thoughts on the scheme, which has been running at Bristol apparently since 2003, before the beeb run the story.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=e3cf7e48a98224fe40821a2c a8d095c2&t=284317

One sample reply from a poster to Ian Shoesmith:

Quote:
You've GOT to be kidding.....

Professional airline and airport workers are now treated with suspicion and contempt. They are not permitted to take water to work. Not permitted to take a normal tube of toothpaste airside. Food is confiscated daily. Belts off, hats off, shoes off, epaulettes off. These workers are humiliated daily and treated as the potential enemy. Yet THESE frontline people are the ones who should be encouraged and brought onside to be the eyes and ears. And it isn't happening. People are angry and alienated. Most are downtrodden, heads down, stay down. Few speak up and question a security anomalies anymore - they just end up being threatened with their job for bucking the system and not setting a good example!

So what do "the authorities" want to do now? Get complete outsiders, "spotters", to be the eyes and ears? To be the "home army"?

Humiliate the Captain, recruit the amateur. Does anyone see something very very sick with the system here?

Long Tooth
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plane spotter to Chief Constable, '' hello chief, i have just spotted three caucasian men, donning false beards and in the process of dressing as arabs, they appear to be littering the area with 2 Korans, 3 return train journey tickets and fake ID's, what shall i do?''

Chief constable to plane spotter, ''er well no, er yes well, they are on a test, just move on and move away from the area immediatly, have you taken any photos of the men? yes? good, bring the film to the station at once and dont tell anyone, its all under control now, thanks for the warning''

Chief Con to head of MI5 '' hello Q, our cover is blown, the big cheese is in the oven and has melted''

head of MI5 to chief, ''the big cheese has melted?, i am pulling the boys out now, make sure the spotter has no photos of the men donning false beards and arab headwear, what he has photo's, well get them off him at once, you know the procedure, see you at the lodge tuesday, i'll put in a word with the lodges grandmaster but it will not be enough to get you up to the 33rd degree level yet''.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: