FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Applying Critical Thinking to 9/11
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Critics' Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Applying Critical Thinking to 9/11 Reply with quote

To: Jay Ref

I have started this new topic in the Critics Corner, which as you know is the preferred place to offer criticism of the principal forum theme that the official 9/11 story does not make sense.

I personally could do with somebody challenging some of my beliefs in this matter, because, frankly I think it's healthy and can only inform my views further.

I don't know where a good starting point would be really, so I'll just post this question to begin with.

Are there any aspects of the "official" version of events regarding 9/11 that bother you ?

If so which ones ?

Can you illustrate for us "sceptics" how you have applied critical thinking to those aspects ?

Cheers
Jay Ref
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Applying Critical Thinking to 9/11 Reply with quote

Mark Gobell wrote:
To: Jay Ref

I have started this new topic in the Critics Corner, which as you know is the preferred place to offer criticism of the principal forum theme that the official 9/11 story does not make sense.

Fair enough.
Quote:

I personally could do with somebody challenging some of my beliefs in this matter, because, frankly I think it's healthy and can only inform my views further.

That's admirable.
Quote:

I don't know where a good starting point would be really, so I'll just post this question to begin with.

Are there any aspects of the "official" version of events regarding 9/11 that bother you ?

No.
Quote:

If so which ones ?

Can you illustrate for us "sceptics" how you have applied critical thinking to those aspects ?

Cheers

Well, that was quick. Here's a better way to start: You tell me what 1 aspect of 9/11 CT that you believe to be the best evidence that 9/11 was an "inside job". Just one. The hardest fact you know of. Let's see how that goes.

-z

"God in heaven. Here's the hard-headed, evidence-only freak who will not, like we CTers, indulge himself in self-inflating, utterly misconceived fantasies." -kbo234 (who is NOT a nazi) briefly makes sense
Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay Ref

You have stated unequivocally that nothing bothers you about any aspect of the official version of events regarding 9/11.

Logically then it is a fair assumption that you believe everything in that official version to be true.

If your view points are based on beliefs only then it is my belief that it would be pointless debating 9/11 with you any further.

However, if your view has been formed based upon your research and / or experience of every aspect of the 9/11 story then it would be logical to expect you to have expertise in numerous disciplines.

For the record you are the first person I have spoken with who accepts the official version of 9/11 completely, without any doubts whatsoever.

Conversely, I have yet to meet a single person who holds doubts about the official account of 9/11 who also admits to having doubts about each and every aspect of the event.

In my experience of this subject you are therefore unique.

Would it also be a fair assumption that you have applied "critical thinking" to each and every aspect of the 9/11 story, arriving at your conclusions as a result of that critical thinking ?

If so, I for one and many others I am sure, would benefit from an insight into the critical thinking process that you have used to analyse the events of 9/11 and the susbsequent 9/11 Comission Report, so that we too may be able to exercise our minds in a similar fashion.

I admit to having difficulty in finding my biggest single problem with the official story, simply because the majority of my issues are all so very big and so very fundamental.

I would start by asking for evidential proof, supported by evidence of your critical thinking about these questions regarding the alleged 19 hijackers:

1. Were they on any of the planes on 9/11 ?

2. How did they get onto the planes ?

3. Do they appear on any of the published passenger lists ?

4. Did they have tickets ?

5. Where did they buy the tickets ?

6. When did they buy the tickets ?

7. How did they pay for the tickets ?

8. What were their seat numbers ?

9. Did they hijack the planes ?

10. Did they fly the planes ?

11. Could they fly the planes ?

12. Did they kill anyone on the planes before the flights ended ?

13. Are any of them still alive ?

14. Did they use false identities ?

15. What identities did they use ?

16. Did they have false passports ?

17. Did they also carry their real passports during their mission ?

18. Who financed them ?

19. Where did they live ?

20. Were they at any time under suspicion prior to 9/11 ?

21. Did the authorities have any warnings about these men ?

22. If so were any of these warnings acted upon ?

23. Did anybody or any agency obstruct their investigation ?

24. Why did they leave flight manuals in thier cars ?

25. Why did they leave copies of the Koran in their cars ?

26. What organisation were they working for ?

27. How were they subsequently identified as the hijackers ?

28. What was the source of their published photographs ?

29. How were they identified so quickly ?

30. Has anyone reported them missing ?

Cheers.
DeFecToR
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking for examples of critical thinking by the 'critics' on 911, i wouldnt hold your breath. Take a look at the Northwoods topic in critics corner for an example of how these chaps think.
Wokeman
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark,
Get hold of a copy of Who Killed John O'Neil, a DVD produced by Ty Rauber. It will answer most of those questions. It will explain the extent of the corporate involvement in the activities of 9/11. I do not believe that any "arab terrorists" were involved. They were, as in the case of Lee Harvey Oswald (Oh, by the way there were two of those - one to incriminate the other) patsies.
Jay Ref
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Gobell wrote:
Hi Jay Ref

You have stated unequivocally that nothing bothers you about any aspect of the official version of events regarding 9/11.

Eh?
Here's what you actually asked me:
Quote:

To which I answered: "No"
Quote:

Logically then it is a fair assumption that you believe everything in that official version to be true.

No. It would be logical to assume that there are no "aspects of the "official" version of events regarding 9/11" that bother me.

I "believe" in human nature. Therefore I would not be surprised to find some minute detail that they either left out or got wrong. Even a cover up of some small fact is undoubtedly lurking in there somewhere as human beings do clearly tend to practice CYA.

But...and this is the salient point...do I believe that any imperfection in the OS rise to the level of evidence of an inside job? No, of course I don't. Nothing is perfect and I am quite sure that the OS is not perfect. The real question is: "Is it accurate in it's conclusions?" I believe that it is.
Quote:

If your view points are based on beliefs only then it is my belief that it would be pointless debating 9/11 with you any further.

Well, if you don't lay out for me what you think happened and your best evidence which supports your belief...then yes...you are right.
Quote:

However, if your view has been formed based upon your research and / or experience of every aspect of the 9/11 story then it would be logical to expect you to have expertise in numerous disciplines.

Wrong. I rely on experts in everyday life just as we all do. Thus I did not live through WWII and yet I do not doubt that it happened. Expert historians, witnesses, evidence abounds that WWII happened. I need no personal expertise.

The difference btwn the CT mindset and the rest of us is that we rely upon the body of historical scholarship. Peer reviewed and evidence oriented. Whereas the CT "believer" will look to the "historians" of the "historical revisionists". Code words for Holocaust deniers...whos only purpose is to bolster their own biased ...ahem..."movement". (That's not to say that you or this movement believes the HDers...it's just an example of the CT mindset at work) It's known as "cherrypicking".
Quote:

For the record you are the first person I have spoken with who accepts the official version of 9/11 completely, without any doubts whatsoever.

You are reading too much into my "no" to your question. You are making a pretty lame attempt to trap me in some corner. You won't do it by placing words in my mouth though. Better take another tack.
Quote:

Conversely, I have yet to meet a single person who holds doubts about the official account of 9/11 who also admits to having doubts about each and every aspect of the event.

In my experience of this subject you are therefore unique.

You are barking up the wrong tree there son. I suggest you avoid the game of chess...you'd be no good at it.
Quote:

Would it also be a fair assumption that you have applied "critical thinking" to each and every aspect of the 9/11 story, arriving at your conclusions as a result of that critical thinking ?

No it would not. Similarly I have not read every word of the Bible nor the Koran and yet I feel quite justified in my opinion of same as a collection of ancient myths.

Whereas the 9/11 commission report does not say anything remotely surprising. We knew of UBL and his terrorists long before 9/11. That airport security was lax was common knowledge (too common as we now know). That hijackers were to be negotiated with was also SOP prior to 9/11. These factors made it possible for 9/11 to happen. It all makes perfect sense and is backed by expert analysis and evidence.

The CT OTOH starts from a premise: "It was an inside job" then seeks out anything that remotely backs the a-priori assumption.

that right there is where you lose me. When you start from; "I know this is true, and I'm gonna prove it!" instead of letting the evidence lead where it may you have left behind the process of critical thinking and logic. Similarly I don't need to evaluate every performance by John Edward...when he says he talks to the dead...I know he's a con man, simply because I know exactly how he creates the illusion of talking to the dead. It's a very, very old trick.
Quote:

If so, I for one and many others I am sure, would benefit from an insight into the critical thinking process that you have used to analyse the events of 9/11 and the susbsequent 9/11 Comission Report, so that we too may be able to exercise our minds in a similar fashion.

The 9/11 report is not controversial. It says UBL did it, UBL says he did it. The Arab world is GLAD he did it.

OTOH the CT says that it was an "inside job". This is highly controversial! It's a pretty sensational claim to say that hundreds of highly placed government officials and technical experts conspired to do a mass murder of 3,000+ other Americans. Were I to accuse you, Mark, of murder without a shred of evidence you would be justifiably angered. It would be unjust for me to accuse you without anything more than my unsupported beliefs...and yet that's just what you people are doing.
Quote:

I admit to having difficulty in finding my biggest single problem with the official story, simply because the majority of my issues are all so very big and so very fundamental.

I would start by asking for evidential proof, supported by evidence of your critical thinking about these questions regarding the alleged 19 hijackers:

1. Were they on any of the planes on 9/11 ?

2. How did they get onto the planes ?

3. Do they appear on any of the published passenger lists ?

4. Did they have tickets ?

5. Where did they buy the tickets ?

6. When did they buy the tickets ?

7. How did they pay for the tickets ?

8. What were their seat numbers ?

9. Did they hijack the planes ?

10. Did they fly the planes ?

11. Could they fly the planes ?

12. Did they kill anyone on the planes before the flights ended ?

13. Are any of them still alive ?

14. Did they use false identities ?

15. What identities did they use ?

16. Did they have false passports ?

17. Did they also carry their real passports during their mission ?

18. Who financed them ?

19. Where did they live ?

20. Were they at any time under suspicion prior to 9/11 ?

21. Did the authorities have any warnings about these men ?

22. If so were any of these warnings acted upon ?

23. Did anybody or any agency obstruct their investigation ?

24. Why did they leave flight manuals in thier cars ?

25. Why did they leave copies of the Koran in their cars ?

26. What organisation were they working for ?

27. How were they subsequently identified as the hijackers ?

28. What was the source of their published photographs ?

29. How were they identified so quickly ?

30. Has anyone reported them missing ?

Cheers.

Easy there boy. Flooding the debate with questions on minutiae might be a cool debate tactic but don't kid yourself that you're on a "search for truth". I don't know whether Hitler wore boxers or briefs, but I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say it really doesn't matter and I really don't care. I'm not going to second guess my entire take on Nazism based on such nonsense.

Now, please stop playing around and simply give one hard fact that you believe to be the very best case for an inside job. Something that made you believe. Just one is all we need to start.

-z

Edited to add: BTW your hijacker questions are pretty well covered here.

"God in heaven. Here's the hard-headed, evidence-only freak who will not, like we CTers, indulge himself in self-inflating, utterly misconceived fantasies." -kbo234 (who is NOT a nazi) briefly makes sense
DeFecToR
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i might voice my own response.

My 'moment' was (after years of looking 911) when Steven Jones confirmed the presence of Thermite (super-thermite to be precise) in remnants of the WTC.
Small detail i know, and highly irrelivant.

Abandoned Ego
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Ref.

Ive seen a lot of your posts, and it is obvious to me as an honest impartial observer of your responses, logic and overall behaviour that you are way out of your depth.

But then again I believe theres a chimpanzee playing in the world series of poker this year.

I have far more respect for a few of your colleagues.

At least they appear to understand that the official 19 Arabs conspiracy theory certainly leaves even them with a few questions.

Hoping, nonetheless that you do well in the World Series of 9/11 debates.
scubadiver
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Ref:

The Commissioners had plenty of chances to ask why the US Govt couldn't catch OBL when they did because they had plenty of chances.

And what did Bush say? "I don't have much time for him any more".
Snowygrouch
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Examples of gaffs Reply with quote

All,
I`ve been researching 9.11 and its associated events (iraq, us foreign policy, military history & arms privatization) for a long time. Well beyond the point where I have any doubts that some complicity is undeniable.

If you want an easy starter for 10 turn to page 342 of the 9.11 commission report para 2.

"the 1997 estimate was the last national estimate on the terrorism danger completed before 9.11"

WRONG the FBI according to its own website does one EVERY YEAR as one would expect. Explain

Next turn to page 341 para 3.

"the intelligence community did not describe this organization (al qaeda) at least in documents we have seen until 1999"

WRONG there are SEVERAL intelligence doucments availiable to anyone with GOOGLE from the FBI and CIA YEARS before this (1996 & 1998 principally). Available from the NATIONAL SECURITY ARCHIVES.

Then turn to page 5 para 2.

"we do not know exactly how the hijackers gained access to the cockpit; FAA rules required that the doors remain closed and LOCKED"

So to surmise; the full investigative power of the 9.11 commission could not find CRUCIAL intelligence documents that state when Bin Laden was FIRST made aware to the government that I can find in 5 minuites from any internet connection.

Also they cant even explain how they got into ALL 4 COCKPITS even thought FAA regs state they MUST BE LOCKED.

Now I`m just getting STARTED here and could go on for HOURS on blatant fudging and plain lies in the official report.

Of course this means you will all have to go and GET the 9.11 commission report now doesnt it!

I wonder how many of us (on both sides) have given it a going over.

Although to be fair David Ray Griffin did such a bloody good job for us already on that count.

So if the Gov have nothing to hide why the utter piffling nonsence report that is about as contiguous as a 3rd form plagarised student essay.

Maybe the fact that the Exectutive Director of the 9/11 Commission worked for Bush's DAD and Bush personally as well as being part of the Aspen group which contained all the top members of the PNAC.

Imparcial and disinterested? Doesn't sound like it to me.

Also explain why Bush refused to testify ALONE to the 9/11 commission but ONLY with Cheney sitting next to him at all times.

Police ALWAYS inteview separately as this exposes different stories that arrise from the fallout of telling complex lies.

The commission ASKED them to testify SEPARATELY. They refused.

WHY?

President Eisenhower 1961
TimmyG
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cirlces. round and round we go.

we don't have a 100% proven solid story precisely detailing what happened. why should we have to piece together EXACTLY what happened? we are the public!. there are unanswered questions concerning 9/11. and the most logical explanation for the collapse of wtc7, the planes not being intercepted, the fbi reporting $100,000 to atta, able danger knowing about the hijackers before hand but isolating the info, the response of the mainstream media to our questions and NIST's refusal to EVER discuss their self admitted 'low probability of occurance' theories on wtc7 with the st911.org guys... is that someone connected to the american government is responsible. some are 'in on it' and the rest of the government are either not interested, being silienced or are turning a blind eye.

you can't prove anything 100% other than the existance of your own conscienceness. everything else is probablities. and there is a high probability that we are right here. given the seriousness of the evidence we are demanding a new independent investigation into 9/11

Quote:
The 9/11 report is not controversial. It says UBL did it, UBL says he did it. The Arab world is GLAD he did it.

not controversial? when the fbi have stated that there is no hard evidence connecting osama to the attacks? you really don't see that in the least bit controversial?

when did he say he did it? are you talking about the 'confession' tape? the tape of a guy who looks a bit like that osama bin laden bloke?

sounds a bit wacky to me all that mate

Mal Jones
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Ref

You said:
You tell me what 1 aspect of 9/11 CT that you believe to be the best evidence that 9/11 was an "inside job"

That’s quite a gauntlet to throw down – you’re going to be a busy chap so I thought I’d better get in first before I’m squashed in the rush! Oh-oh…too late!

I’ve never been too sure of all the ‘background’ circumstances pertaining to 9/11 (passenger lists, stand-downs, put options, etc) because the only available information seems to be on websites and forums, all of which have a particular (and very polarised) agenda. Certainly the original unfiltered source information is unlikely to be available to the likes of us. To subscribe to a particular viewpoint based on these ‘un-knowables’ involves either a leap of faith or a predisposition to believe in one thing or another.

The collapse of the towers on the other hand is very much in the public domain but even so it is difficult to form an opinion on the nature of the collapse because there is nothing against which to compare it (and hopefully there never will be). I am sure everyone who saw the towers come down on 9/11 subconsciously thought, “wow, so that’s what a skyscraper looks like when it comes down”. Having already seen the unprecedented sight of two planes flown into the towers it is virtually impossible to mentally disassociate the cause and effect link between the two events. For me it took five years.

Anyway, to my ‘evidence’. As an engineer with a civil and structural background I am uncomfortable with the way in which the towers fell (speed aside) to virtual ground level and the central support members ended up in such short sections. Of the pictures I have seen of the debris field there are plenty that show sizeable sections of the lightweight exoskeleton but there do not appear to be any long sections of the much heavier central support members.

As I understand it the upper sections of the towers were primarily supported by relatively lightweight ‘I’ section central members. Lower down (in order to support the increased weight) the central supports are in the order of 36”x12” while at the bottom these central supports were a hefty 54”x22”. The central core member served the two functions of supporting the mass of the building and resisting the wind load transmitted from the exoskeleton. The floors were lightweight trusses with very little mass of concrete – the design of the towers was apparently notable in this aspect. The exoskeleton – slenderness ratio notwithstanding – was virtually self-supporting.

Now when the relatively lightweight top bit collapsed (for whatever reason) into the next floors down having built up a momentum over a couple of floors it is reasonable to suppose that the next few floors would have suffered compression damage resulting in collapse. However, the structure below the plane impact site was completely undamaged before the collapse and would quickly have absorbed the momentum of the falling upper (lightweight) section and it would have decelerated. As the upper section fell it was shedding weight in the form of all that debris that can be seen falling away. So we have a diminishing load impacting on a progressively stronger structure. The lower third of the buildings had supported the upper two-thirds for thirty years yet suddenly they could not support a fraction of that load.

In previous posts you have referred to torsional (twisting) and lateral (I assume you mean shear) forces at work during the collapse. During the initial collapse there might briefly have been torsional and shear forces at work but once the collapse was established, apart from some symmetrical compression induced pressure on the exoskeleton, there was only a vertically downward force. There were certainly no forces to shear the central support members into short lengths. The only force acting on the central columns was a steadily decreasing compressive force and in this respect such members are hugely strong. Although, due to slenderness ratio, the columns could never have stood alone they would not have snapped into short sections and instead would have fallen like parboiled spaghetti across the neighbouring buildings.

Now I’m not going to stray outwith the bounds of my own knowledge and indulge in speculation as to precisely how the towers did collapse but I cannot swallow the official version so I am obliged to infer that the collapses were designed and, moreover, that elements within the US Government planned and executed it.

If you have information that can put me straight on the above I would be grateful. I honestly and sincerely hope you can so that I can go back to my cosy little world where the worst I thought of the Bush administration was that they are crass, bungling bullies. To find myself believing that they have the will and wherewithal to indulge their most obscene and murderous ambitions is frankly a place where I don’t wish to be.

Thanks for your time,
Mal
PaulStott
Relentless Limpet Shill
Relentless Limpet Shill

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scubadiver wrote:
Jay Ref:

The Commissioners had plenty of chances to ask why the US Govt couldn't catch OBL when they did because they had plenty of chances.

And what did Bush say? "I don't have much time for him any more".

The oldest press (and political) tactic in the book - build up, knock em' down, then if they get back - you simply say they don't interest you any more!
Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Ref

I chose to ask you some questions about my issues with the alleged hijackers.

You kindly pointed me to the 911myths.com website so that my questions can be answered.

I have read all of the points raised on that site regarding the alleged hijackers and this is my response to the 911myths.com opinion on the alleged hijackers identity.

The alleged 9/11 Hijackers

A response to http://www.911myths.com/html/doubts_over_hijackers_identity.html

Doubts Over Hijackers Identity

911myths.com states the following:

The story…

On September 20th and 27th, Mueller admitted on CNN that there is "no legal proof to prove the identities of the hijackers"

911myths.com provides this link http://www.loosechange911.com/ in support.

I have searched the web and CNN but cannot find any article containing Mueller’s statement either on CNN itself or any site carrying a link to CNN.

There are plenty of sites that carry this quote but I cannot find one main stream media source on the web for this statement.

911myths.com continues…

Our take...

There’s no doubt that the FBI expressed considerably uncertainty, early in the investigation. Here’s a BBC quote from around the same time:

21st September 2001

The FBI has said that the identities of some of its list of 19 hijackers behind last week's devastating attacks are in doubt. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1553754.stm

But then again, that was only ten days after the attack. After reporting that they had investigated the questions that had been raised, the FBI also announced in November 2001 that all doubts had been resolved.

The FBI has resolved questions about the identities of the 19 hijackers involved in the Sept. 11 attacks and has discovered places outside the United States where the conspiracy was planned, FBI Director Robert Mueller said Friday.

Saudi Arabian officials and others have questioned whether some of the hijackers identified by the FBI in the weeks after the attacks used stolen identifications. Mueller said those questions have been answered.

"We at this point definitely know the 19 hijackers who were responsible," he said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2001/11/02/attack/main316806.shtml

Of course we can’t prove that Mueller really believed that, however the point is clear: the first quote is long out of date, and people or sites who still use it, without mentioning what they said next, are not telling the whole story.

End of 911myths.com opinion.

So a straightforward point is made here by 911myths.com that anyone quoting Mueller’s original statements made to CNN on 21 & 27 September 2001 about there being "no legal proof to prove the identities of the hijackers" should also include his subsequent statement sourced from AP and reported by CBS on 2nd November 2001 that "We at this point definitely know the 19 hijackers who were responsible." otherwise they are not telling the whole story.

Case closed ? Well, maybe, maybe not.

Is Mueller saying in November that the FBI did have legal proof of the hijackers identities ?

Here is an article about the alleged hijackers from 911review.com that does include the subsequent Mueller statement made in November 2001.

http://911review.org/Wiki/HijackersAliveAndWell.shtml

(so many links to MSM & DoJ therein lie broken ?)

So does this result from a simple google search nullify that particular entry in the 911myths.com Hijackers Identity section ?

Does 911myths.com inform it’s readers that some sites do exist that quote the subsequent Mueller statement ?

Where does this leave the 911myths.com sites integrity vis-à-vis telling the whole story ?

As a footnote this interested me, lots.

No paper Trail

..we have not uncovered a single piece of paper – either here in the U.S. or in the treasure trove of information that has turned up in Afghanistan and elsewhere – that mentioned any aspect of the September 11th plot.

This is an excerpt from a speech given by Mueller to the Commonwealth Club of California, San Francisco, CA on April 19, 2002

..These attacks were not just an act of terror. They were an act of war. The most pressing issue for the FBI and for the nation was to find out who we were at war with, and more importantly, to make sure we were not attacked again.

To do that, the FBI began working in concert with its many partners to find out everything we could about the hijackers and how they pulled off their attacks. We ran down literally hundreds of thousands of leads and checked every record we could get our hands on, from flight reservations to car rentals to bank accounts.

What emerged from our massive investigation was a sobering portrait of 19 hijackers who carried out their attacks with meticulous planning, extraordinary secrecy, and extensive knowledge of how America works.

The plans were hatched and financed overseas, beginning as long as five years ago. Each of the hijackers came from abroad: fifteen from Saudi Arabia, two from the United Arab Emirates, and one each from Lebanon and Egypt. All 19 entered our country legally, and only three had overstayed the legal limits of their visas on the day of the attacks.

While here, the hijackers did all they could to stay below our radar. They contacted no known terrorist sympathizers. They committed no egregious crimes. They dressed and acted like Americans, shopping and eating at places like Wal-Mart and Pizza Hut, blending into the woodwork all the while. When four got speeding tickets in the days leading up to September 11th, they remained calm and aroused no suspicion. Since none were known terrorists, law enforcement had no reason to question or detain them.

The hijackers also left no paper trail. In our investigation, we have not uncovered a single piece of paper – either here in the U.S. or in the treasure trove of information that has turned up in Afghanistan and elsewhere – that mentioned any aspect of the September 11th plot. The hijackers had no computers, no laptops, no storage media of any kind. They used hundreds of different pay phones and cell phones, often with prepaid calling cards that are extremely difficult to trace. And they made sure that all the money sent to them to fund their attacks was wired in small amounts to avoid detection.

In short, the terrorists had managed to exploit loopholes and vulnerabilities in our systems, to stay out of sight, and to not let anyone know what they were up to beyond a very closed circle.

The investigation was enormously helpful in figuring out who and what to look for as we worked to prevent attacks. It allowed us to see where we as a nation needed to close gaps in our security. And it gave us clear and definitive proof that al Qaeda was behind the strikes.

Ends.

So, I ask.

How is it that the FBI was able to release the names of the alleged hijackers within 48 hours of 9/11 ?

Why did they publish their photographs when they had no legal proof ?

Where is the legal proof now ?
Jay Ref
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mal Jones wrote:
Jay Ref

You said:
You tell me what 1 aspect of 9/11 CT that you believe to be the best evidence that 9/11 was an "inside job"

That’s quite a gauntlet to throw down – you’re going to be a busy chap so I thought I’d better get in first before I’m squashed in the rush! Oh-oh…too late!

Why too late? I have been looking into the CTers for many months since seeing that feel-good hit of the summer LC2E. I haven't seen one piece of CT gossip, innuendo, accusation, or rumor that rises to the level of evidence.

Remember Bill Clinton's oral escapade was basically a conspiracy of two. Noy only did it come to light,...there was...*ahem*... evidence readily available. The inside job conspiracy OTOH is only possible if hundreds of people are in on it. Not just high officials either...technicians who supposedly retrofitted the airliners to become drones. (Only AMARC does this...and their facility at Davis Monathan doesn't have hangar space to hide 3 767's and a 757. Then there's the expert explosives techs, demolition experts, and and structural engineers to wire up WTC 1, 2, and 7. We're not talking skull and bones elites here...we're talking about regular people who have education and careers.

Now please read this:
Quote:
From the BAUTforum:
Originally Posted by Rich
Man, I miss these boards. Wish I had more time to spend here like I did when I worked shift work... oh well.

As some one who worked at the Pentagon for six years right up to September of last year and experienced 9/11 first hand I'd like to interject a few thoughts.

1. I did not see the plane hit the building I was almost on the dead opposite side two level underground. In fact, I didn't feel or hear a thing. Not unusual if you are in a large steel-reinforced concrete building. That said, individuals who worked for me witnessed the explosion from the central courtyard of the building and could feel the heat from the fireball. Co-workers and friends significantly closer to the impact area were indeed thrown off their feet by the impact and explosion.

2. Over the next several days I did, personally, talk to about 4 individuals who personally saw the plane strike the building including two Pentagon shuttle bus drivers. These were just regular working people, with no reason to lie, no indication of any undue stress or coercion (other than what you might expect from witnessing an aircraft full of human beings being flown into a building full of human beings).

3. Why isn't there more video? Without telling too much of what I know of Pentagon security, you would be suprised how few cameras there are outside the building. Humans actively patrolling a building's perimeter are a tad more effective than dozens of monitors which may or may not be watched at any given moment. Given the limited number of entrances to the facility (all highly controlled areas), cameras are generally only needed in high traffic areas like vehicle control points (such as the one this video came from). What about the surrounding buildings. I've been to the AFFEES gas station on the hill more than a hundred times and can honestly tell you I never noticed a camera pointed towards the Pentagon... that doesn't mean there isn't one, but the filling stations don't seem to be arrainged in such a way as to provide camera coverage of the pumps and the Pentagon.

As for the hotels and shops over in Pentagon row or Crystal City Mall? Why should their cameras capture the Pentagon? Commion sense, and practical security experience, would dictate that any cameras they had would necessarily be pointed at their own properties. I do know for a fact that there is a traffic camera on I-395 right next to the Pentagon, we would check it regularly towards the end of shifts to see how bad traffic was. As I recall you can see part of one of the parking lots, but like most cameras it is focused towards it's own purpose... namele monitoring traffic in I-395 for the local television stations and commuter websites.

4. I can't speak to what happened with this specific tape and its alleged transition from VHS, to a digital format, and back again. I can say that standard operating procedure would be to put any video in a digital format. It is easier and less costly to store, much simpler to duplicate, takes up less space, and less likely to be lost or accidentally destroyed than a physical tape. Once you've got it digital on a server it's there to make as many copies as you need in whatever format; VHS, DVD, Beta (and a whole bunch of others) that your users or customers need. My last eight months at the Pentagon were spent in a facility that did exactly that with news feeds, surveillance video, gun-camera video, video taken from the internet, video from official events like dignitary visits and important ceremonies... you name it. Trust me when I say digital is better. So, it is possible (probable even) that the original security feed or tape was stored digitally after 9/11, then later released on VHS or Beta. This would not be unusual in my (admittedly limited) experience. Certainly, no one thinks that the original tape was the one released to dozens of news organizations simultaneously... do they? Besides the obvious physical impossibility of giving one tape to dozens of people at the same time... is there any way to distribute such a video without (a) making copies or (b) transfering it to a digital format and distributing it that way? Finally, if you are veiwing the video on the internet or on a television I can virtually gaurantee you are looking at a digital copy of the video. So, you've got another transcription right there.

All that said, if there is actual evidence that the data contained in the video was actually tampered with I sure would like to see it. That seems to be what is very loosely being implied here. Such manipulation would certainly leave very evident and particular artifacts in the images, if the guys who used to work for me actually knew what they were talking about.

5. Finally, I worked with a great many decent, honorable, and patriotic people at the Pentagon. For the purposes of full disclosure I was a commissioned officer in the United States Air Force with a very high security clearance and served in some pretty cool sensitive jobs about which I often can't say a whole heck of a lot. To many CBers these facts automatically makes me suspect or even a colluding member of whatever conspiracies they might dream up. Hence, I point to the first sentence of this paragraph again.

I'd like to think I'm a decent and honorable person, and that my sense of decency, honor, and even patriotism would compell me to speak out if I thought I had even a shred of evidence about any type of conspiracy such as the ones alluded to here. No amount of threats to my career, finances, freedom, life, or even the lives of my loved ones would persuade me from speaking out. If I had knowledge that the government I served was engaged in such activities I would scream as loud as I could from every hill, and then I would scream some more. My honor, patriotism, and hopes for the kind of nation and world I want to leave future generations would demand no less. And I am very proud to say that I personally served with hundreds of men and women who feel the same way. This doesn't even consider the many federal employees and contractors that I worked with over my 8 years of active duty service, the vast majority of which I can say with confidence would not just sit idly by, let alone actively participate in such crimes.
I'd love to say that every member of the Armed Forces feels exactly the same, but I can only speak for those I with whom personally worked and served.

Military members, government employees, and defense contractors (from high faluting, high-tech gurus to the folks who mop the floors and clean the toilets) are generally pretty good and decent folks. They work hard, love their families, have hopes and dreams for a better future, and try to do the right thing. I try not to take these conspiracies personally, much as I don't take Apollo CBs personally, but it gets a little hard to deal with essentially being accussed en-masse. So, I do take it personally, because I served with every good intention, and I served with a great many good, decent people. And frankly, I resent to implication that we all actively or passively lent our hands to one of the greatest crimes and mass murders ever committed in our country.

Well, that's my piece on that aspect anyway.

Hope I gave a little helpful information.

Well there's the crux of it. You'd need hundreds of these low to high level government people...possibly into the thousands...for the inside job to be possible. The fact remains that all it would take for this conspiracy to be blown is just one person like my friend "Rich". Just one. Your CT therefore is simply not possible given human nature. Not possible given it's incredible scope.
Quote:

I’ve never been too sure of all the ‘background’ circumstances pertaining to 9/11 (passenger lists, stand-downs, put options, etc) because the only available information seems to be on websites and forums, all of which have a particular (and very polarised) agenda. Certainly the original unfiltered source information is unlikely to be available to the likes of us. To subscribe to a particular viewpoint based on these ‘un-knowables’ involves either a leap of faith or a predisposition to believe in one thing or another.

This is why logic is important to remember and use. We cannot all know everything, but we can logically agree with reasonable, typical, possible situations. I personally am nonsense with math; and yet I have no doubt that experts can accomplish what I cannot. Otherwise there would be no atomic bombs, airpplanes, spaceshuttles, etc... I've never personally been to Japan...and yet I do not doubt the existence of Tokyo.
Quote:

The collapse of the towers on the other hand is very much in the public domain but even so it is difficult to form an opinion on the nature of the collapse because there is nothing against which to compare it (and hopefully there never will be). I am sure everyone who saw the towers come down on 9/11 subconsciously thought, “wow, so that’s what a skyscraper looks like when it comes down”. Having already seen the unprecedented sight of two planes flown into the towers it is virtually impossible to mentally disassociate the cause and effect link between the two events. For me it took five years.

This is true. The collapse itself was surprising to me as well. It's counter-intuitive that such a massive thing can be destroyed so completely by kinetic forces. Yet when those forces were properly explained I could see how it was possible.

But again, I'm reading Demon-Haunted World by Sagan and in a chapter on Roswell he quotes an Air Force Report that notes that if the United States Government and the Armed Forces had the ability to completely vanish all traces (paperwork, memos, correspondence, etc.) of an alien crash landing then the government would have undoubtedly used those techniques to protect our atomic secrets from the Soviet Union.

In the same way, if those shadowy conspirators have power to the mind-boggling extent necessary to execute 9/11 then wouldn't they have had more effective ways to dupe the American populace? Couldn't they have used their power in such a way to achieve their end result and avoid CTers discovering it all?

Seriously. Blowing up buildings in downtown New York, in broad daylight, in front of countless people and television cameras. Talk about unnecessary risks!!
Quote:

Anyway, to my ‘evidence’. As an engineer with a civil and structural background

Why not give your real name, title, and who you work for and come out of the CT closet to your colleagues? If you are a structural engineer you are doing your brother CT's a great injustice by remaining anonymous.
Quote:

I am uncomfortable with the way in which the towers fell (speed aside) to virtual ground level and the central support members ended up in such short sections. Of the pictures I have seen of the debris field there are plenty that show sizeable sections of the lightweight exoskeleton but there do not appear to be any long sections of the much heavier central support members.

The tower beams were assembled in 38 foot sections. That many of the pieces seem to have failed right at their joints does not seem so strange to me.
Quote:

As I understand it the upper sections of the towers were primarily supported by relatively lightweight ‘I’ section members. Lower down (in order to support the increased weight) the central supports are in the order of 36”x12” while at the bottom these central supports were a hefty 54”x22”. The central core member served the two functions of supporting the mass of the building and resisting the wind load transmitted from the exoskeleton. The floors were lightweight trusses with very little mass of concrete – the design of the towers was apparently notable in this aspect. The exoskeleton – slenderness ratio notwithstanding – was virtually self-supporting.

Now when the relatively lightweight top bit collapsed (for whatever reason) into the next floors down having built up a momentum over a couple of floors it is reasonable to suppose that the next few floors would have suffered compression damage resulting in collapse. However, the structure below the plane impact site was completely undamaged before the collapse and would quickly have absorbed the momentum of the falling upper (lightweight) section and it would have decelerated. As the upper section fell it was shedding weight in the form of all that debris that can be seen falling away. So we have a diminishing load impacting on a progressively stronger structure. The lower third of the buildings had supported the upper two-thirds for thirty years yet suddenly they could not support a fraction of that load.

Here is what MIT structural engineers have to say:
Quote:
6. Comments on structural collapse
Until this point, the focus of this article has been the instantaneous damage incurred by the
aircraft impact, which was localized within few floors of each tower. Yet, at the same time, the
initial impact set the stage for the complex series of structural weakening and failures that
finally led to a complete collapse of both towers. The manner in which these two stages of
failure are related is the subject of extensive debate.
The following section in not intended to perform a full analysis of the global collapse
but rather bring up few important issues relevant to the accident reconstruction. Two
distinguishable schools of thought have emerged from such debate. These are
- Fire Dominated Theory
- Impact Dominated Theory
The first of these theories requires that prolonged, ultra high-temperature fire
degraded the steel to such a point as to induce progressive failure from such a weakened state.
By contrast, the second theory, which has been strongly supported by the analysis brought
forth in this article, requires that the initial aircraft impact brought the building to the verge of
instability. So close to this point, in fact, that only a small shift in loading or a minute decrease
in structural strength would have resulted in the catastrophic collapse.
In a brief discussion
below, each of these theories is described in more detail.
6.1 Fire dominated collapse theory
While the majority of the paper only dealt with the instantaneous damage introduced by the
aircraft impact, the effects produced by the secondary damage incurred by the fire deserve
careful consideration. One cannot deny that the situation became much more serious on a
structural level when energy was introduced in the form of burning jet fuel. The general idea is
that the heat gradually affected the behavior of the remaining material after the impact, thus
decreasing its elastic modulus, yield stress and increasing the deflections. This subject has
been extensively covered via mass media, and one of the most important aspects of this
argument is the observation that whatever fire protection the steel was prepared with, was
shaken lose by the impact and thus unable to perform as designed. A jet-fueled fire is not what
normal office fires are like and thus the safety systems may have been overcome considerably
faster than expected. Our analysis does not deny these heat-induced contributions to the
collapse, rather we fully agree that the fire effects played a large role in the deferred damage.

Yet, we do believe that the primary damage suffered by the South Tower via the initial impact
alone was severe enough to bring it down with very little outside help.
This is the point of
view that has been given almost no attention or thought. At the same time, several arguments
are introduced later in this article that support the theory that the North Tower collapse was
facilitated by fire.
6.2 Initial damage dominated collapse
With respect to the impact dominated theory, the following issues, when assimilated into a
cohesive failure theory, form this argument:
· Effect of Stress Concentration
· Initial Extent of Damage: as measured by the number of destroyed floors and
columns
· The location of the damaged zone with respect to the axis of symmetry of the
structural cross-sections
· The redundancy of the structural systems
· The safety factors which particular zones of the towers were designed for

Link to MIT report

Quote:

In previous posts you have referred to torsional (twisting) and lateral (I assume you mean shear) forces at work during the collapse. During the initial collapse there might briefly have been torsional and shear forces at work but once the collapse was established, apart from some symmetrical compression induced pressure on the exoskeleton, there was only a vertically downward force. There were certainly no forces to shear the central support members into short lengths. The only force acting on the central columns was a steadily decreasing compressive force and in this respect such members are hugely strong. Although, due to slenderness ratio, the columns could never have stood alone they would not have snapped into short sections and instead would have fallen like parboiled spaghetti across the neighbouring buildings.

Now I’m not going to stray outwith the bounds of my own knowledge and indulge in speculation as to precisely how the towers did collapse but I cannot swallow the official version so I am obliged to infer that the collapses were designed and, moreover, that elements within the US Government planned and executed it.

If you have information that can put me straight on the above I would be grateful. I honestly and sincerely hope you can so that I can go back to my cosy little world where the worst I thought of the Bush administration was that they are crass, bungling bullies. To find myself believing that they have the will and wherewithal to indulge their most obscene and murderous ambitions is frankly a place where I don’t wish to be.

Thanks for your time,
Mal

So MIT,
the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA),
the Structural Engineering Institute of the American Society of Civil Engineers (SEI/ASCE),
the state of New York,
the New York City Department of Design and Construction,
the Structural Engineers Association of New York,
the National Council of Structural Engineers Associations,
the National Fire Protection Association,
the Society of Fire Protection Engineers,
the American Concrete Institute,
the American Institute of Steel Construction,
the Masonry Society,
the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat,
the National Institute of Standards and Technology,
the Federal Advisory Committee,
the NYPD,
the FBI,
the Secret Service,
the CIA,
the New York Port Authority,
the NYFD,
the National Law Enforcement and Security Institute,
United Airlines,
the US Department of Defense,
the US Department of Justice,
the US Department of State,
North American Aerospace Defense Command,
the National Military Command Center,
the Federal Aviation Administration,
the Pentegon,
the Counterterrorism and Security Group,
the US Army’s Communications-Electronics Command,
Otis Air National Guard Base,
Langley Air Force Base,
Andrews Air Force Base,
Offutt Air Force Base,
the Air National Guard,
three E-4B National Airborne Operations Center planes,
the New York flight control center,
the Air Traffic Control System Command Center in Washington,
the La Guardia Airport control tower,
the New York Times,
the Boston Globe,
the Wall Street Journal,
the Washington Post,
Newsday,
United Press International,
Associated Press,
CNN,
ABC,
NBC,
CBS,
and Emma E. Booker Elementary School were all cooperating in a widespread conspiracy to conduct a controlled demolition, thereby reducing the WTC to a pile of rubble, provide misinformation to the American public, and divert attention from the REAL culprits -- the government, without the slightest leak even though the conspiracy must number in the hundreds at least?

Holy bat nonsense Robin.. Shocked

-z

Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay Ref

Two things.

In reply to an earlier post of mine where I listed 30 questions I have regarding the alleged hijackers - you responded by saying that flooding the forum was not the right tack.

I certainly wouldn't accuse you of doing that in your post that lists all of the institutions you suggest would have been involved in a conspiracy theory.

So could you please explain the difference between you listing your assertions and me listing my questions ?

Also, how many instutions government bodies, groups, individuals would you estimate to have been involved in say the Iran Contra afair ?

Cheers
Jay Ref
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Gobell wrote:
Hi Jay Ref

Two things.

In reply to an earlier post of mine where I listed 30 questions I have regarding the alleged hijackers - you responded by saying that flooding the forum was not the right tack.

I certainly wouldn't accuse you of doing that in your post that lists all of the institutions you suggest would have been involved in a conspiracy theory.

So could you please explain the difference between you listing your assertions and me listing my questions ?

Also, how many instutions government bodies, groups, individuals would you estimate to have been involved in say the Iran Contra afair ?

Cheers

I did not flood the debate with meaningless questions meant to bog you down forever. I created a list...a partial list of organizations that would have to participate in your conspiracy. It does not require you to make any comment at all. The list was not a question, just an observation.

-z

Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are we supposed to do with your list of institutions then, ignore them ?

If so why include them ?

If not then presumably you provide them as evidence of your assertion, which would require any interested party to research them and respond.

That is exactly why I listed my questions to you, but you chose to see this as me flooding the forum.

Are you not flooding the forum with your list of institutions ?

Also, do you have an answer to my second question please ?

Cheers
Jay Ref
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Gobell wrote:
So what are we supposed to do with your list of institutions then, ignore them ?

Do as you wish. If you are really searching for truth though you'd kind of have to ask yourself how realistic it is that the CT could possibly work in the first place, much less remain successfully hushed up.

[snip]
Quote:

If not then presumably you provide them as evidence of your assertion, which would require any interested party to research them and respond.

Like I said, do as you wish with it. I do not require you to respond, just think. The MIT paper I linked to was written by actual scientist who have no relation to the Truth Movement. They are the kind of unbiased experts you should be looking to...not a guy like Hufschmid whos only expertise is in CAD/CAM programming.
Quote:

That is exactly why I listed my questions to you, but you chose to see this as me flooding the forum.

Simply because all of those questions were about minutae. As such they are meaningless. Even if all of the questions you posed got answered exactly the way you wanted you still have no proof of a conspiracy, much less a controlled demolition or a remote controlled plane. It's a waste of time...like asking how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. You are rearranging the deck chairs on your "Titanic" conspiracy theory.
Quote:

Are you not flooding the forum with your list of institutions ?

Nope. If you can explain how and why such a vast conspiracy was accomplished given the vast array of people and disciplines involved then by God, you win!
Quote:

Also, do you have an answer to my second question please ?

Cheers

I will when you tell me what you think of the MIT report I linked. You know, the one where they say the crash impact damage alone was enough to cause collapse in the South Tower, and the North Tower was collapse caused by lower impact damage...but longer duration fires further weakening the structure.

-z

Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay Ref

That's a very odd request to put to me.

I wonder if you have me muddled with Mal Jones to whom you posted your reply containing the MIT report extract and link ?

I'll assume you have for now.

I think it is clear for anyone to see that you operate using different rules from those you wish others to use.

It is clear that you accused me of flooding when I listed some questions that I have regarding the hijackers identities.

It is clear also that you compile a big list of institutions but you do not see that as flooding.

You attempt to justify this by saying that my list of questions are insignificant, whereas your list of institutions are not.

I do not dispute that your list is significant to your argument.

I assert that my list of questions are significant to my argument.

In response to my questions you refer me to 911myths.com and I post a reply to that.

You have not responded to my post in response to the question of Hijackers Identities on 911myths.com

You have not responded to my question to you asking for your best estimate of the number of institutions, groups, people involved in say the Iran Contra affair.

Yet you demand that I respond to a post you made to another person before you respond to me.

Is this behaviour typical of students of critical thinking ?

It is clear that the way you conduct yourself in these debates amounts to not debating at all.

I have looked at the MIT report several times and confess it is way over my head.

That does not mean I doubt it or that I believe it. Yet.

I am trying to find responses to it from the scientific community.

I would have expected a proponent of critical thinking to have done the same, so have you ?

In any case the thread was between yourself and Mal Jones so maybe he is best placed to respond to the MIT report.

In the meantime could you answer my questions please.

Cheers
Jay Ref
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Gobell wrote:
Hi Jay Ref

That's a very odd request to put to me.

I wonder if you have me muddled with Mal Jones to whom you posted your reply containing the MIT report extract and link ?

What does it matter? You CTers are pretty much all the same to me...
Rolling Eyes
Quote:

I'll assume you have for now.

You are a great one for making assumptions...do go on...lets look at your assumptions:
Quote:

I think it is clear for anyone to see that you operate using different rules from those you wish others to use.

No it's not. No I don't.
Quote:

It is clear that you accused me of flooding when I listed some questions that I have regarding the hijackers identities.

Because you were, or do you think it reasonable that I should have to answer 30 questions about minute details that when finally answered would not amount to support for the CT?
Quote:

It is clear also that you compile a big list of institutions but you do not see that as flooding.

I did not pose a question. I made a list. I don't expect you to spend time on it. It's merely a list of those entities that would have to be in colusion with the "evil gubmint plot". I merely ask you: "How plausible is that?" Which brings me to William of Ockham and his logical tool:

Quote:
The term "Occam's Razor" comes from a misspelling of the name William of Ockham. Ockham was a brilliant theologian, philosopher, and logician in the medieval period. One of his rules of thumb has become a standard guideline for thinking through issues logically. Occam's Razor is the principle that, if two competing theories explain a single phenomenon, and they both generally reach the same conclusion, and they are both equally persuasive and convincing, and they both explain the problem or situation satisfactorily, the logician should always pick the less complex one. The one with the fewer number of moving parts, so to speak, is most likely to be correct. The idea is always to cut out extra unnecessary bits, hence the name "razor." An example will help illustrate this.

Suppose you come home and discover that your dog has escaped from the kennel and chewed large chunks out of the couch. Two possible theories occur to you. (1) Theory number one is that you forgot to latch the kennel door, and the dog pressed against it and opened it, and then the dog was free to run around the inside of the house. This explanation requires two entities (you and the dog) and two actions (you forgetting to lock the kennel door and the dog pressing against the door). (2) Theory number two is that some unknown person skilled at picking locks managed to disable the front door, then came inside the house, set the dog free from the kennel, then snuck out again covering up any sign of his presence and then relocked the door, leaving the dog free inside to run amok in the house. This theory requires three entities (you, the dog, and the lock picking intruder) and several actions (picking the lock, entering, releasing the dog, hiding evidence, relocking the door). It also requires us to come up with a plausible motivation for the intruder--a motivation that is absent at this point.

Either theory would be an adequate and plausible explanation. Both explain the same phenomenon (the escaped dog) and both employ the same theory of how, i.e., that the latch was opened somehow, as opposed to some far-fetched theory about canine teleportation or something crazy like that.

Which theory is most likely correct? If you don't find evidence like strange fingerprints or human footprints or missing possessions to support theory #2, William of Ockham would say that the simpler solution (#1) is most likely to be correct in this case. [/i]The first solution only involves two parts--two entities and two actions. On the other hand, the second theory requires at least five parts--you, the dog, a hypothetical unknown intruder, some plausible motivation, and various actions. It is needlessly complex. Occam's basic rule was [b]"Thou shalt not multiply extra entities unnecessarily," or to phrase it in modern terms, "Don't speculate about extra hypothetical components if you can find an explanation that is equally plausible without them."
All things being equal, the simpler theory is more likely to be correct, rather than one that relies upon many hypothetical additions to the evidence already collected.

But then I suppose you guys are quite likely to see FBI agents with lockpicks letting your dog loose eh?

Quote:

You attempt to justify this by saying that my list of questions are insignificant, whereas your list of institutions are not.

This is true. What after all does it matter how terrorist X got access to the airplane when it is one tiny detail in a vast and implausible scenario you are trying to spin? Simply, you're examining the ridges in the tree's bark and ignoring the forest.
Quote:

I do not dispute that your list is significant to your argument.

Fine, then tell us your thoughts on it.
Quote:

I assert that my list of questions are significant to my argument.

Pick the one that you think is most signifigant to your argument...and I'll agree to examine it. But in all fairness I did ask you to do this right after you created this thread.
Quote:

In response to my questions you refer me to 911myths.com and I post a reply to that.

You have not responded to my post in response to the question of Hijackers Identities on 911myths.com

You have not responded to my question to you asking for your best estimate of the number of institutions, groups, people involved in say the Iran Contra affair.

Like I said; I'm simply not interested in answering nonsense questions. What on earth does Iran-Contra have to do with 9/11? It's simply not relevant to this thread.
Quote:

Yet you demand that I respond to a post you made to another person before you respond to me.

I have "demanded" nothing of anyone.
Quote:

Is this behaviour typical of students of critical thinking ?

What? Asking people to offer proof for their claims? Yes, it is very typical.
Quote:

It is clear that the way you conduct yourself in these debates amounts to not debating at all.

That is another of your overarching assumptions. I'll remind you that you have yet to produce the first piece of unempeachable evidence for any facet of the CT.
Quote:

I have looked at the MIT report several times and confess it is way over my head.

That's why the authors of the report are at MIT and we are posting on an internet forum... Cool
Quote:

That does not mean I doubt it or that I believe it. Yet.

I am trying to find responses to it from the scientific community.

I would have expected a proponent of critical thinking to have done the same, so have you ?

Yes I have. But in the interests of not appearing to "flood" the thread I am loathe to post a list... Rolling Eyes
Quote:

In any case the thread was between yourself and Mal Jones so maybe he is best placed to respond to the MIT report.

Hopefully...he did say he was an engineer of some type...
Quote:

In the meantime could you answer my questions please.

Cheers

So pick one...a relevant one...a strong one...and let's examine it. Your Iran/Contra question is way off topic unless you can explain how it's relevant?

-z

Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay Ref

At the risk of flooding I have found this review of a report authored by an eminent MIT Professor that you may like to read.

Now, I am no scientist so I personally cannot vouch for this guys opinions anymore that I could for any MIT authored report.

But since you said that [MIT Professors] "are the kind of unbiased experts you should be looking to..."

I took your advice and did just that.

Summary:

Dr. Thomas Eagar is Thomas Lord Professor of Materials Engineering and Engineering Systems at MIT.

He was recently nominated to serve on a National Research Council committee on Homeland Security.

Dr Eagar's co-authored an article, "Why Did the World Trade Center Collapse? Science, Engineering, and Speculation," with MIT graduate student Christopher Musso.

The article concludes with this statement:

Thomas Eagar is employed by MIT. He blackens the good name of MIT as well as his own.

http://guardian.150m.com/wtc/small/nova.htm

Let me know what you think.

Cheers.
Jay Ref
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Gobell wrote:
Hi Jay Ref

At the risk of flooding I have found this review of a report authored by an eminent MIT Professor that you may like to read.

Now, I am no scientist so I personally cannot vouch for this guys opinions anymore that I could for any MIT authored report.

But since you said that [MIT Professors] "are the kind of unbiased experts you should be looking to..."

Summary:

Dr. Thomas Eagar is Thomas Lord Professor of Materials Engineering and Engineering Systems at MIT.

He was recently nominated to serve on a National Research Council committee on Homeland Security.

Dr Eagar's co-authored an article, "Why Did the World Trade Center Collapse? Science, Engineering, and Speculation," with MIT graduate student Christopher Musso.

Thomas Eagar is employed by MIT. He blackens the good name of MIT as well as his own.

Cheers.

The link doesn't work, so I cannot comment one way or the other. The concluding sentence you posted for this article seems to be indicative of some kind of bad act this guy has done that sullies the name of MIT?? What did he do? Rape a nun while wearing an "MIT" sweatshirt?

-z

Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay Ref

If you type the link into your browser it might work for you.

Let me know what you think of the article.

I asked you to give me your best guess of how many institutions, groups, poeple that you think were involved in the the Iran Contra affair simply because you have asserted many times in this forum that the 9/11 conspiracy theory cannot possibly be true because it requires too many people to be involved.

So, I thought how best could we prove your hypothesis.

After some consideration I thought that we could use an historic consipracy that has since been proved and then consider the numbers involved.

Therefore I think it a valid test of your premise that there can be no 9/11 consipracy.

Hence my question.

So, what is your your best guess of how many institutions, groups, poeple that you think were involved in the the Iran Contra affair ?
ian neal
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jay Ref wrote:
Mark Gobell wrote:

The link doesn't work,

Strange. It works OK for me
scar
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye same here.
Jay Ref
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian neal wrote:
Jay Ref wrote:
Mark Gobell wrote:

The link doesn't work,

Strange. It works OK for me

Still doesn't work....

Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay Ref

Try typing the following into your browser.

Let me know what you think of this critique of the eminent MIT Professor's report on Why Did the WTC Collapse.

Cheers.
Jay Ref
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Gobell wrote:
Hi Jay Ref

Try typing the following into your browser.

Let me know what you think of this critique of the eminent MIT Professor's report on Why Did the WTC Collapse.

Cheers.

My browser just times out...can't get there.

But anyway, why are you bothering to impeach the professor's paper? IIRC the paper I linked to was not written by this guy. So what are you trying to prove by attacking him? I'm not using his work.

-z

Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay Ref

Well thats very strange indeed, it works for me and others.

I don't recall attacking the author of this report. So why do you suggest that I am ?

This is the reason I am asking you for your opinion of this chaps critique of the MIT Professor's report:

Mark Gobell wrote:
Hi Jay Ref

Summary:

Cheers.

You refer to one MIT report for me to consider which I did and about which I have already said is way over my head.

I go off and search for critiques of MIT reports and came up with this example.

So, plainly, I am asking you to consider the possibility that your high regard of and subsequent advice to refer to MIT reports is not shared by others.

The critique to which I linked positively refutes this particular MIT Professor's claims.

So where does that leave us with MIT reports ?

What would be your unbiased advice to me now Jay Ref ?

Stick with your recommendations or think critically about all recommendations ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Critics' Corner All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: