FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

London Mayor - Campaign Getting Dirty Already

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karlos
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: London Mayor - Campaign Getting Dirty Already Reply with quote

Paddick calls Boris Johnson a clown
By Andrew Woodcock, PA Chief Political Correspondent
Published: 31 December 2007
Liberal Democrat candidate for London Mayor Brian Paddick today branded his Conservative rival Boris Johnson a "clown" who was incapable of being a "serious ambassador" for the nation's capital.

Mr Paddick claimed that Mr Johnson's reported vow to give up drinking for the course of the electoral campaign betrayed concern that he might commit gaffes.

And the former Metropolitan Police commander warned that the would-be Tory mayor would not be able to get through a four-year term of office without embarrassment if he succeeded in ousting Labour Mayor Ken Livingstone in May's election.

In an interview with political website ePolitix.com Mr Paddick said: "Boris has got into the habit of believing that nobody will like him unless he makes a joke.

"There are these accusations of him being racist and him being sexist, but at the end of the day he just can't help cracking jokes and quite often they're offensive to the people that he's making the joke about.

"And we need a serious ambassador for London to be our mayor - not a clown."

Mr Paddick said that Mr Johnson's campaign had so far been relatively low-key, apparently because of "some rather fearsome-looking minders" keeping him away from the press to make sure he avoids opportunities for gaffes.

He added: "If the reports are to be believed, he's given up alcohol for the duration of the campaign, presumably for a similar reason.

"What Londoners have got to realise is four years is a hell of a long time for the mayor to be kept out of the media so he doesn't make any gaffes, and for him to give up drink.

"We're not talking about somebody who can behave appropriately for four months of a campaign, we're talking about a mayor who can behave for four years in the interests of London. And quite clearly, Boris can't do it.

"Clearly Boris is under strict orders not to be himself and clearly once you have had a drink or two you tend to become more yourself than if you haven't had a drink, you let your defences come down and the true you comes out.

"I am quite happy for people to see me after I have had a couple of glasses of wine, but clearly Boris's minders are very concerned that he will revert to type after he's had a couple of glasses of whatever his particular tipple is."

A spokesman for Mr Johnson's campaign told ePolitix.com that although he had decided to give up drinking for the duration it was not a "hard and fast" rule.

The spokesman said: "Boris wants to be super-fit for the campaign and has already lost a stone-and-a-half in weight.

"The next big drink he plans to have is to help Ken drown his sorrows - and he'll even pick up the bill."

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/politics/article3295919.ece

paddickken.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  11.45 KB
 Viewed:  427 Time(s)

paddickken.jpg

Thermate911
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I am quite happy for people to see me after I have had a couple of glasses of wine, but clearly Boris's minders are very concerned that he will revert to type after he's had a couple of glasses of whatever his particular tipple is."

Doesn't that sound just like a Pete Loveday sketch from 'Russell' ?

But why should Paddick demean himself by pointing this out? I thought him to be a larger man than that...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: