FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wed21March1984 - Hilda Murrell murdered

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Unexplained Deaths, 'Suicidings', 'Accidents', Plots & Assassinations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:31 am    Post subject: Wed21March1984 - Hilda Murrell murdered Reply with quote

Police and others faking fake DNA evidence
UK nuclear murder - truth sought by her nephew - fresh evidence - political interference in policing - abuse of DNA evidence - see bottom quote 4 article
http://www.starcanterbury.co.nz/news/uk-murder-truth-sought/1272658/

Hilda Murrell Murder - New Book Launch - FIona Farrell
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO3PCrsQRA8
Speeches by distinguished New Zealand writer and poet Fiona Farrell, and Robert Green, author of 'A Thorn in Their Side - The Hilda Murrell Murder', 14 October 2011, Christchurch, New Zealand

Robert Green

Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWPokw6d8Rs

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilda_Murrell#Murder
Hilda Murrell was scheduled to present her paper "An Ordinary Citizen's View of Radioactive Waste Management" at the Sizewell B Inquiry, the first public planning inquiry into a new British nuclear power plant. On 21 March 1984, her Shrewsbury home was apparently burgled and a small amount of cash was taken. She was abducted in her own car, a white Renault 5, which many witnesses reported seeing being driven erratically through the town and past the police station during the lunch hour. The vehicle was quickly reported abandoned in a country lane five miles outside Shrewsbury, but the West Mercia Police took another three days to find her mutilated body in a copse across a field from her car. She had been beaten and stabbed multiple times, but did not die from her injuries, instead succumbing to hypothermia. Her autopsy was performed by Dr. Peter Acland who together with the detective leading the case, Detective Chief Superintendent David Cole, wrote about this and other cases in a "The Detective and the Doctor: A Murder Casebook".
Hilda was the aunt of Commander Robert Green, Royal Navy (Retired), a former naval intelligence officer who was wrongly said to have passed the order for the sinking of the Argentine ship the Belgrano by the nuclear submarine HMS Conqueror during the 1982 Falklands War. Labour MP Tam Dalyell, hounding Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher about the controversial sinking, added a second conspiracy theory about Hilda's death when he announced in Parliament early on 20 December 1984 that British Intelligence had been involved. Until then only her anti-nuclear work had been suspected as a political motive.

Quote:

One of Britain's most controversial murder cases has been blown open by new DNA evidence uncovered by a Christchurch couple.

The nephew of anti-nuclear campaigner Hilda Murrell, 78, has cast fresh doubt over the conviction of a teenage burglar for her 1984 murder.

While researching a new book, Christchurch-based former Royal Navy commander Robert Green found details of DNA evidence not disclosed during the controversial trial which seems to clear her alleged killer.

Mr Green, and his Kiwi peace campaigner wife, Dr Kate Dewes, believes the evidence raises questions of state-sponsored murder and political conspiracy by the British media and top-ranking government officials.

It opens fresh debate over the case, which shocked Britain in the 80s. At the time Labour politician, Tam Dalyell MP claimed "men of British intelligence" were involved in the vociferous anti-nuclear opponent's death.

Now, the couple hopes that their claims, revealed in a newly published book, A Thorn in Their Side: The Hilda Murrell Murder, will force the case to be re-opened to clear the man convicted of Miss Murrell's death - and to find her real killer.

They also want a Commission of Inquiry into her death, and are travelling to the UK this weekend to persuade top military brass and politicians to consider their story.

"A very deep corruption runs through the country which is supposed to be the mother of democracy and we want the truth to come out," Mr Green told The Star.

Miss Murrell, a Cambridge scholar and world-renowned rose grower, was due to give evidence to the inquiry into a proposed nuclear reactor in England when she was abducted from her home in Shrewsbury in 1984.

Her body was found days later, dumped in a nearby copse of trees, and her murder prompted speculation in Parliament and brought many conspiracy theories, many of which centred on the involvement of MI5.

Almost two decades later, police charged Andrew George, 35,who had been a 16-year-old in foster care with Miss Murrell's murder in 2003.

He was matched to DNA found at the scene and sentenced to life in prison in 2005.

But Mr Green, Miss Murrell's closest living relative, says, "The truth was nowhere near the trial. He is an innocent man, and I can prove he can't have murdered my aunty."

During his own investigation into the death, Mr Green viewed the complete statements of evidence referred to and quoted from in the trial.

"We were shocked to make some explosive discoveries which were not put to the jury," Mr Green says.

Forensic expert Michael Appleby stated in December 2003 that 1mm of each of Miss Murrell's fingernails from each hand were sampled for DNA, but ruled out any link to Andrew George, he says.

"This was a forensic bombshell," said the former Royal Navy bombardier and headquarters intelligence officer during the Falklands War.

"Such powerful evidence almost certainly would have acquitted Andrew George, and proved Hilda had fought another man.

"Meanwhile, this young guy is rotting in jail and needs to be released."

He claims that George had interrupted MI5 agents interrogating the elderly protester in her home and was paid sixty thousand pounds in hush money before being arrested and "framed" 19 years later.

Flanked by his wife, Dr Kate Dewes, a nuclear disarmament researcher appointed adviser to the United Nations secretary-general, Mr Green is travelling to London on Sunday to meet with General Sir Hugh Beach and General Lord David Ramsbottom - two establishment figures against nuclear development - as well as other MPs.

"We won't stop until we get to the bottom of it," Mr Green said.

www.actorsandartistsfor911truth.org
www.mediafor911truth.org
www.pilotsfor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
www.radio4all.net/index.php/contributor/2149
http://utangente.free.fr/2003/media2003.pdf
"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung
https://37.220.108.147/members/www.bilderberg.org/phpBB2/

Last edited by TonyGosling on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hilda Murrell murder: call to examine 'MI5 link' to murder of nuclear activist

Michael Mansfield QC wants to know what intelligence services knew about killing of anti-nuclear activist Hilda Murrell in 1984

Mark Townsend, home affairs editor
The Observer, Sunday 18 March 2012
Article history

Hilda Murrell Murder

Campaigner Hilda Murrell, 78, who was murdered in March 1984, had been due to give evidence at the public inquiry into the Sizewell B nuclear reactor. Photograph: PA

One of Britain's leading human rights lawyers has demanded a fresh police inquiry to establish what the British intelligence services knew about the murder of a prominent anti-nuclear campaigner.

Michael Mansfield QC said new evidence meant that an independent police force should be appointed to examine enduring concerns and inconsistencies relating to the death of Hilda Murrell in March 1984.

Murrell, 78, was abducted from her home in Shrewsbury and her body was discovered days later in a nearby copse. A high-profile campaigner against nuclear weapons, she had been due to present evidence to the public inquiry into the proposed Sizewell B nuclear reactor in East Anglia. Her death triggered numerous conspiracy theories and allegations relating to the involvement of MI5, with one MP, Tam Dalyell, telling parliament that "men of British intelligence" were involved.

Subsequent claims from intelligence sources that they never even opened a file on the rose-growing anti-nuclear campaigner have now been dismissed by Mansfield as "completely ludicrous".

He said: "There must have been a file for a number of reasons. One of them being that she plainly was very active and very outspoken about a government policy that was extremely sensitive at that time – nuclear power.

"It was central to Margaret Thatcher's thinking. They would have been watching closely what she was up to, who she was associating with and so on.

"The victim was consumed with anxiety that something was going to happen to her. A look at why that might be involves the evidence she was about to give to the Sizewell inquiry."

The involvement of Mansfield, whose past cases include the Stephen Lawrence murder, follows the painstaking accumulation of evidence on the case by Murrell's nephew, Commander Robert Green.

The former naval intelligence officer was one of a handful of people privy to details of the sinking of the Argentinian ship the General Belgrano, during the 1982 Falklands conflict. Green became embroiled in allegations that he leaked intelligence to Dalyell that the Belgrano had been attacked while steaming away from the Falklands, a revelation that undermined Britain's justification for the sinking.

Just two days before Murrell was abducted, Dalyell began asking ministers detailed questions about the movements of the Belgrano when it was sunk.

Murrell's links to Green and her outspoken nature may have placed her in the spotlight of the intelligence agencies. "They [the security services] must have noticed his connection with her. Therefore they might have thought that she possessed information of a sensitive nature," said Mansfield.

Despite 28 years having passed since her death, Green will this week reveal details of what he claims are attempts to intimidate him in order to prevent him from investigating the case. Despite having moved to New Zealand, Green says he is the subject of continuing surveillance and that the tyres of his car have been slashed, his mail intercepted and, occasionally, his house broken into.

He has continued to investigate, arriving in London this week to share fresh evidence collated for his book on the murder, A Thorn In Their Side.

Among questions raised about the case are those casting fresh doubts on the conviction of a burglar, Andrew George, who was jailed for life in 2005 for Murrell's murder. George was aged 16 at the time and in care at a children's home near her home. The prosecution believed that he panicked during a burglary before abducting Murrell.

George's DNA was found to match samples taken from the scene, yet a previously undisclosed witness statement made by a forensic scientist in the case, Michael Appleby, indicates that he found DNA under Murrell's fingernails from another man.

Green claims that this information was withheld from the trial jury.

Another troubling aspect of the case relates to the testimony of the owner of the copse where the body was discovered. On the day after the murder, Captain Ian Scott visited the copse to check for trees that needed felling. Despite visiting the exact spot where her body was found, Scott somehow missed it. Yet photographs clearly show the body being visible from a distance. Subsequent police inquiries suggested that he was looking up at trees and would not have been studying the ground.

"There was no way that somebody of his calibre, of his knowledge, would have overlooked Hilda's body," said Mansfield. "Together, these factors require a reinvestigation in relation to material that never really surfaced in any of the judicial proceedings, either the inquest or the trial itself."

scienceplease 2
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:49 am    Post subject: Death of a Rose-Grower Reply with quote

Quote:

Why I believe sinking of Belgrano made MI5 murder my crusading aunt: A death surrounded by dark coincidences, and the disturbing belief of former intelligence chief who helped mastermind Falklands campaign

Hilda Murrell was abducted and murdered in 1984 in Shrewsbury
The 78-year-old was found with multiple signs of torture
Nephew believes she was killed because she 'knew too much'
Commander Robert Green says her connection to him 'sealed her fate'
Green was at the heart of operation which sank the Belgrano in 1982

By Commander Robert Green

20 July 2013

It is nearly 30 years since my aunt, Hilda Murrell, was abducted, beaten, stabbed and left to die in a copse in the countryside outside Shrewsbury.

Her murder has become a cause celebre, not just because of the shocking manner of her death, but because of the unanswered questions that refuse to go away.

Hilda, a 78-year-old rose-grower and anti-nuclear environmentalist, was a keeper of dangerous secrets.

Involved in top-secret work at Bletchley Park in the Second World War, she was an independent, well-connected and informed opponent of Britain’s plans for nuclear power and weapons.

Because of her close association with me, she was suspected of having sensitive information about the sinking of the Argentinian cruiser General Belgrano in the 1982 Falklands War.

Someone wanted her silenced for this, or was it for even more politically damaging information?

The past three decades have seen a rising tide of evidence that the true perpetrators were the British security services.

Meanwhile a man is languishing in jail, wrongly convicted of a crime he did not commit. Hilda was my close friend and mentor and I was her next of kin.

I was a commander in Royal Navy Intelligence at the heart of the Falklands War, thus I fear it is more than possible that having me as her nephew sealed her fate.

The struggle to uncover what really happened goes on. Michael Mansfield QC has joined my campaign for a Commission of Inquiry. Austin Mitchell MP is gathering support in the House of Commons.

But standing up for the truth comes at a cost. Our home has been broken into several times, computers interfered with, possessions disturbed, yet nothing stolen. Our mail often arrives in our PO box late, damaged or even empty.

I still find my phone calls mysteriously disconnected mid-conversation. I do not own a mobile phone because they can be listened to.

Following death threats in Britain – including calls to a friend saying ‘tell Rob Green he’s next’ – I feel like a fugitive in my own country. Even after I emigrated to New Zealand, the harassment has continued.

Some UK-based security organisation with extraordinary persistence, reach and resources seems desperate to impede and frighten us. The most obvious motive is that, with the help of my wife Kate Dewes, I am getting too close to discovering who murdered my beloved aunt, friend and mentor – and why.

‘They’ve rubbed her out.’ It was my immediate thought, an involuntary conviction. At 2pm on Saturday, March 24, 1984, West Mercia Police rang to say they had found an old woman’s body. Hilda had been missing since the Wednesday.

Her mutilated corpse had been discovered in a poplar copse six miles outside Shrewsbury, some 500 yards from her crashed Renault 5.
War connection: Commander Robert Green believes the sinking of Argentinian cruiser General Belgrano holds the key to Hilda Murrell's murder

Sexually assaulted, stabbed through her upper right arm and with five shallow stab wounds in the abdomen, she was naked from the waist down. There were severe abrasions on the knees. She had defence cuts on each hand, the hyoid bone in her neck and her right collar bone were broken. Her face was bruised. A trail of her belongings led across a heavy clay field to her body. No valuables were missing, only £40-odd in cash.

Hilda was a remarkable woman. A 1927 Cambridge graduate, she had hoped for an academic career, but instead became director of her family’s respected rose nursery. After retiring in 1970, she became an ardent anti-nuclear activist.

She was much more than my only aunt. We clicked: she the anti-nuclear campaigner, a Liberal voter; I an apolitical, typically Conservative naval Commander with nuclear weapons experience and a top-security clearance.

In 1979, as Personal Staff Officer to the Assistant Chief of Naval Staff (Policy) in the Ministry of Defence, I was a fly on the wall as the Admiralty debated replacing Britain’s nuclear-armed Polaris submarines with Trident.

The meltdown of the US reactor at Three Mile Island in Pennsylvania had endorsed Hilda’s view that nuclear power was too hazardous for civil use.

Margaret Thatcher was determined to introduce new nuclear plants of a similar design, the first of which would be built at Sizewell in Suffolk. When Hilda was murdered, she had just been given approval to testify as an independent objector at the public inquiry.

The Secretary of State for Defence, Michael Heseltine, responded to the growing anti-nuclear movement by setting up a propaganda unit in the Ministry of Defence. It had direct links with MI5 and according to whistleblowing agent Cathy Massiter its branch, dealing with ‘domestic subversion’, was expanded.

In April 1982, Britain went to war with Argentina and I found myself working in the command bunker at Northwood in North-West London in charge of a 40-strong team providing round-the-clock intelligence support to the fleet.

Later I took redundancy from the Navy and dropped out of the ‘Establishment’. I was now earning my living thatching roofs but I knew about the Falklands and nuclear weapons. No wonder there was suspicion about my motives.

From the outset, and despite an ocean of contradictory evidence, West Mercia Police wanted to believe that Hilda’s murder was ‘a burglary gone wrong’.

In June 2003, Andrew George, a 35-year-old local labourer was arrested. The officer from West Mercia Police who gave me the news responded to my incredulity by saying: ‘Yes, Rob – but we can make it fit the facts.’

He was asking me to believe that Hilda had been abducted and murdered by a truant from a foster home who could not drive. George had been aged only 16 in 1984.

In 2005 he was sentenced to 13 years. A 2006 appeal was rejected. His conviction stands as only one among many errors, omissions and distortions which bedevil the case. It seems incredible that ‘burglary’ remains the official reason why Hilda was murdered.

THE ASTONISHING POLICE MISTAKES

The police account of Hilda’s death was riven with anomalies, and so was the handling of the case.

The police inspected Hilda’s crashed car by sunset on the Wednesday. Yet they did not check her house until the Friday evening.

There is evidence of changes to her home while she was missing, including doors and windows open and shut, and lights switched on and off.

There were many reports of suspicious people and vehicles around the house and her crashed car. Yet the police ignored them all.

A white van was reported parked in her drive around the time of her abduction.

According to the owner of the copse, the body was not there on the Thursday when he was checking trees for felling.

So was Hilda abducted to a safe house for interrogation before being left to be discovered on Saturday? The pathologist concluded that, despite her many injuries, Hilda had died of hypothermia.

She had several superficial stab wounds, but a lack of blood. Were some of the wounds inflicted after death to simulate an attack?

Was this to conceal that she had been murdered by breaking her neck before being carried into the copse and a false trail laid of her clothing plus boots, broken spectacles and kitchen knife?

Did the police know about the crime before the body was discovered?

Who were the mysterious officers a witness saw ‘on a murder hunt’ on farmland near the abandoned car on the Friday? Why did two detectives visit a Shrewsbury sex counsellor on the Friday evening before the body was discovered asking if he knew of any man with sexual problems and a preference for violence to old ladies and interfering with their clothing?

WHAT DID SHE KNOW, AND WHO CARED?

‘If they don’t get me first, I want the world to know that at least one old woman has seen through their lies.’ That was what Hilda told ecologist and anti-nuclear campaigner Gerard Morgan-Grenville at the end of her last, agitated 30-minute call to him.

As well as preparing her Sizewell paper, she had been distributing his leaflets making sensitive allegations about nuclear weapons being deployed in British warships to the Falklands War and revealing that the Belgrano was sunk 59 miles outside the exclusion zone.

This information could only have come from an inside source, putting her link with me under suspicion (although I had never made any unauthorised disclosures.)

Morgan-Grenville was an Old Etonian friend of the maverick Labour MP Tam Dalyell, who was embarrassing Mrs Thatcher with other secret details. On Monday, March 19, 1984, Dalyell hand- delivered a letter to Mr Heseltine asking nine new questions about the Belgrano episode. Two days later, Hilda’s house was searched and she was abducted.

Later that year, Dalyell announced in Parliament that ‘British intelligence had been involved’.

Hilda had also conferred with dissident nuclear scientists, one of whom had discovered a serious flaw in the control rods of the Three Mile Island nuclear reactor.

It is possible that Hilda held still more damaging material. Several witnesses have come forward with information that Hilda was involved with Bletchley Park. One elderly woman, now dead, reported that Hilda was her supervisor.

There is strong circumstantial evidence that Hilda was trying to prevent some extremely sensitive documents from being stolen and suppressed.

Three days before her abduction, she tried to leave documents with a friend. Less than an hour before she was abducted, she phoned a veteran peace activist from a callbox asking him to meet her that evening with a ‘stout bag’ for a large number of documents she wanted published. Though no one could prove any of Hilda’s papers were taken, her document satchel and handbag were not found.

CRUCIAL EVIDENCE OF A HIT SQUAD

Andrew George, the man convicted of the murder, told a fellow prisoner who was a key prosecution witness at his trial that he had been encouraged to burgle Hilda’s house by a strange woman who told him she had ‘friends in a white van who would clear up after him’.

While on remand, George apparently confessed to his dying father that, on entering Hilda’s house, two men held guns to his head and threatened to kill him, but promised him £60,000 if he kept his mouth shut.
Jailed: Andrew George was convicted of the murder in 2005, despite Hilda being seen in a car with a man - then 16 year old George could not drive

Jailed: Andrew George was convicted of the murder in 2005, despite Hilda being seen in a car with a man - then 16 year old George could not drive

There is no doubt George was there: his DNA was found in semen on Hilda’s underslip and clothing and his fingerprints were in her house. But what had he been forced to do, and why?

There is also crucial unexamined evidence showing male DNA under Hilda’s fingernails on both hands, and semen on her cardigan, that could not have come from George.

The fingernail DNA established Hilda had fought with another man. Why was this ignored by both prosecution and defence?

And why did the Forensic Science Service ‘lose’ the body sheet and crucial body parts associated with toxicology tests, including Hilda’s brain, liver, stomach contents, bile and urine?

DID THE KILLERS USE A DECOY

An affidavit from Trina Guthrie, treated by Hilda as an adopted niece, set out an account of Hilda’s death from a former convict.

He had been told the following: that Hilda had died at the hands of a team despatched to search for copies of secret signals relating to the Belgrano sinking.

The man had shared a cell in a prison near York with another inmate serving 15 years for armed robbery, who claimed to have led a team of three men and a woman hired by a ‘secret intelligence department’ to do freelance work.

The team leader allegedly reported to the Cabinet Office via an MI5 liaison officer.

The female team member, wearing Hilda’s hat and coat, was driven in her car by one of the other men through town and out to near the copse as a decoy.

Witnesses reported apparently seeing ‘Hilda’, obscured by a wide-brimmed floppy brown hat, slumped in the passenger seat of her own car on the day of her disappearance.

Meanwhile the real Hilda was allegedly taken to a safe house where she was subjected to further interrogation under torture with a knife. Two nights later she was dumped in the copse and left to die.

The use of a decoy is reminiscent of tactics from Northern Ireland at the time, where suspects were abducted by snatch squads, sometimes criminals in the pay of the security services.

SO MANY PEOPLE HAVE BEEN SILENCED

Why have those involved in attempting to find the truth been met with threats, harassment or harm? Philip Griffith, whose mother was one of Hilda’s friends, allegedly overheard three men in a Brighton pub bragging how they killed her. He was later found drugged with morphine and beaten to death in a park. Someone had emptied his flat.

Cecil Woolf, publishers of Graham Smith’s book Death Of A Rose-Grower and several books by Dalyell criticising the Thatcher Government, experienced a mysterious break-in.

Judith Cook, author of Who Killed Hilda Murrell?, was harassed. Lady Dora Russell, a 91-year-old who wrote a letter to the newspapers supporting Cook, was beaten up by an intruder. A postcard followed: ‘We broke into Hilda Murrell, we broke into the Woolf’s .  .  . and we’ll break in wherever we want to .  .  .’

And then there are the break-ins at our Christchurch home and more than 20 years of mail interference: letters opened, letters slashed, contents stolen.

If Andrew George abducted and murdered Hilda, why are we and key witnesses still being harassed and intimidated?

Where to from here? First, there is the urgent need to release Andrew George – a petty thief never previously imprisoned. DNA evidence in possession of the police and forensic service would probably establish beyond reasonable doubt that at least one other man, whom Hilda had scratched, and possibly another man whose semen was on her cardigan, were involved in her murder.

Having reopened the case, there has to be a proper Commission of Inquiry similar to the Hillsborough Independent Panel, led by a distinguished independent person with no links to the security apparatus.

Only such an investigation can recommend how to prevent further corrupt, politicised abuse of the British justice system.

Finally, I hope my pursuit of the truth about how and why Hilda died so violently will encourage others suspected of suffering injustice at the hands of the security authorities to come forward.

A Thorn In Their Side, by Robert Green, is published by John Blake, priced £7.99. To order your copy for £7.49 including P&P, call 0844 472 4157 or visit mailbookshop.co.uk.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2371611/Why-I-believe-sinking- Belgrano-MI5-murder-crusading-aunt-A-death-surrounded-dark-coincidence s-disturbing-belief-intelligence-chief-helped-mastermind-Falklands-cam paign.html
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Hilda Murrell murder MPs call for Hillsborough-style inquiry Reply with quote

Hilda Murrell murder: MPs call for Hillsborough-style inquiry
17 July 2013 Last updated at 13:51
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-23339529

Hilda Murrell's family believe others were involved in her death

MPs are calling for a Hillsborough-style inquiry into the death of Hilda Murrell, a peace campaigner who was abducted and murdered in 1984.

Andrew George was convicted [fitted up] in 2005 of the murder of the 78-year-old anti-nuclear campaigner from Shropshire.

A Commons motion claims there are "serious and substantial doubts about the criminal investigations".

It calls for all the relevant papers be published by the Home Office and West Mercia Police.

The motion backs calls by human rights lawyer Michael Mansfield QC for a commission of inquiry into the case along similar lines to the Hillsborough Independent Panel.

West Mercia Police spokesperson said: "We are satisfied with the policing and judicial processes which led to Andrew George being charged and subsequently receiving a life sentence, for murder."

The force said there are currently no new grounds for a further police investigation, but added it was not up to them to decide if a case of this kind should be reinvestigated.

"The correct procedure is to appeal to the Criminal Case Review Commission," the spokesperson added.

Twenty five MPs have signed the motion, which was tabled by Austin Mitchell, the Labour MP for Great Grimsby.

Miss Murrell, a prominent member of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament (CND), was sexually assaulted and stabbed in 1984.
Security services suspicions

George, a builder's labourer with previous convictions, was arrested and charged in June 2003, after his DNA was found to match samples taken from the scene.

Last year, Miss Murrell's nephew Robert Green relaunched a book claiming there was new DNA evidence from his aunt's fingernails, which could acquit George, who was 16 at the time of his aunt's death.

Members of her family have long believed the security services were involved because of her political work in opposing nuclear weapons," said the BBC's political correspondent, Paul Rowley.

Last year, barrister and legal campaigner Mr Mansfield described the security services as "major suspects".

The motion notes that Mr Green's book makes the claim "key forensic and other evidence was not disclosed at the 2005 trial and the 2006 appeal of Andrew George".

It adds that Mr Mansfield views the book as raising "serious and substantial doubts about the criminal investigations to date into this controversial case".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-shropshire-23339529

www.mediafor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Wed21March1984 - Hilda Murrell murdered Reply with quote

this article now removed

http://www.starcanterbury.co.nz/news/uk-murder-truth-sought/1272658/

Quote:

One of Britain's most controversial murder cases has been blown open by new DNA evidence uncovered by a Christchurch couple.

The nephew of anti-nuclear campaigner Hilda Murrell, 78, has cast fresh doubt over the conviction of a teenage burglar for her 1984 murder.

While researching a new book, Christchurch-based former Royal Navy commander Robert Green found details of DNA evidence not disclosed during the controversial trial which seems to clear her alleged killer.

Mr Green, and his Kiwi peace campaigner wife, Dr Kate Dewes, believes the evidence raises questions of state-sponsored murder and political conspiracy by the British media and top-ranking government officials.

It opens fresh debate over the case, which shocked Britain in the 80s. At the time Labour politician, Tam Dalyell MP claimed "men of British intelligence" were involved in the vociferous anti-nuclear opponent's death.

Now, the couple hopes that their claims, revealed in a newly published book, A Thorn in Their Side: The Hilda Murrell Murder, will force the case to be re-opened to clear the man convicted of Miss Murrell's death - and to find her real killer.

They also want a Commission of Inquiry into her death, and are travelling to the UK this weekend to persuade top military brass and politicians to consider their story.

"A very deep corruption runs through the country which is supposed to be the mother of democracy and we want the truth to come out," Mr Green told The Star.

Miss Murrell, a Cambridge scholar and world-renowned rose grower, was due to give evidence to the inquiry into a proposed nuclear reactor in England when she was abducted from her home in Shrewsbury in 1984.

Her body was found days later, dumped in a nearby copse of trees, and her murder prompted speculation in Parliament and brought many conspiracy theories, many of which centred on the involvement of MI5.

Almost two decades later, police charged Andrew George, 35,who had been a 16-year-old in foster care with Miss Murrell's murder in 2003.

He was matched to DNA found at the scene and sentenced to life in prison in 2005.

But Mr Green, Miss Murrell's closest living relative, says, "The truth was nowhere near the trial. He is an innocent man, and I can prove he can't have murdered my aunty."

During his own investigation into the death, Mr Green viewed the complete statements of evidence referred to and quoted from in the trial.

"We were shocked to make some explosive discoveries which were not put to the jury," Mr Green says.

Forensic expert Michael Appleby stated in December 2003 that 1mm of each of Miss Murrell's fingernails from each hand were sampled for DNA, but ruled out any link to Andrew George, he says.

"This was a forensic bombshell," said the former Royal Navy bombardier and headquarters intelligence officer during the Falklands War.

"Such powerful evidence almost certainly would have acquitted Andrew George, and proved Hilda had fought another man.

"Meanwhile, this young guy is rotting in jail and needs to be released."

He claims that George had interrupted MI5 agents interrogating the elderly protester in her home and was paid sixty thousand pounds in hush money before being arrested and "framed" 19 years later.

Flanked by his wife, Dr Kate Dewes, a nuclear disarmament researcher appointed adviser to the United Nations secretary-general, Mr Green is travelling to London on Sunday to meet with General Sir Hugh Beach and General Lord David Ramsbottom - two establishment figures against nuclear development - as well as other MPs.

"We won't stop until we get to the bottom of it," Mr Green said.

www.mediafor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Unexplained Deaths, 'Suicidings', 'Accidents', Plots & Assassinations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: