FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MSM encouraging one night stands - loveless sex for fun

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> The War On Children, Marriage and the Family
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: MSM encouraging one night stands - loveless sex for fun Reply with quote

yuk

One Night Stands: 8 Reasons To Have Them
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jill-di-donato/one-night-stands-8-reason _b_1636346.html
Jill Di Donato - Writer, Adjunct Professor of English, The Fashion Institute of Technology, New York
I'm not saying casual sex is for everybody. But, as Josey Vogels once wrote in her column, Messy Bedroom, "There is a lot to be learned about yourself through purely physical-based encounters, especially for women who are taught that sex is this precious gift that is only to be given away in the most idyllic circumstances. Meanwhile, men are raised to have a much more casual physical relationship with sex. No wonder we women give it so much emotional play." In other words, our culture is saturated with the message that women who have one night stands are desperate for attention, suffer from low self-esteem, have issues with men or are alcoholic party girls. This idea doesn't resonate for me. I think women are more complicated than this idea gives us credit for. In some circumstances, having sex one time with someone you never plan to sleep with again can be exactly what you want and need, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Here are 8 good reasons I've identified to have the occasional one night stand:

www.actorsandartistsfor911truth.org
www.mediafor911truth.org
www.pilotsfor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
www.radio4all.net/index.php/contributor/2149
http://utangente.free.fr/2003/media2003.pdf
"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung
https://37.220.108.147/members/www.bilderberg.org/phpBB2/
Mo Kingbird
Last Chance Saloon
Last Chance Saloon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:51 am    Post subject: Erving goffman gender advertisement Reply with quote

Not quite sure what you are getting at with this tony?

However, upping the ante, renowned sociologist and anthropologist Erving goffmans work on gender advertisement is surely more aligned with this kind of theme of sinister control.That is, if it relates to the world of top down marketing and advertising that implants a particular ideology into a nation or culture, by the way: if you work in it - kill yourself, then Goffmans work stands out as a bedrock for serious academic analysis of the semiotic quality of, in this case, gender stereotyping.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gender_advertisement

Could give a long definition of how this is construed, but it is clearly a cultural symbolic practice of reinforcement of identity constructions. Goffman begins by showing how images of hands are often gender marked by their apparent gestures, thus, even without the full image of the person it is clear whether the hand is male of female, simply by the perceived quality of the act it is performing (women stroke and gently support, whereas men are firm and grasp).

He then moves on to depictions of posture and submission involving the entire form...and finds a continuum that traces back through centuries of art!
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it's obvious isn't it. Have you ever had a one night stand?
www.mediafor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung
Mo Kingbird
Last Chance Saloon
Last Chance Saloon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Msm advises one night stands Reply with quote

Oooh, personal question!

I don't know that it is obvious, other than you disapprove? Or you disapprove of approving commentaries...promoting promiscuity?

To answer your question, yes...many times, although I didn't always set out to initially, sometimes it happens.

Are you suggesting that this is a modern phenomenon? Or that it is unnatural?
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Msm advises one night stands Reply with quote

Yes you do.
Mo Kingbird wrote:
I don't know that it is obvious

www.mediafor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
Mo Kingbird
Last Chance Saloon
Last Chance Saloon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Msm advises one night stands Reply with quote

TonyGosling wrote:
Yes you do.
Mo Kingbird wrote:
I don't know that it is obvious

Wow, okay tony...you didnt make it clear! I was just trying to inject some academia into the thread that draws on studies of gender stereotyping. I happen not to think that all one night stands are yuk, but that if you are going to post your opinion on the matter then you should have a bit more to it than a capton from the article.

Promiscuity is not an uncommon feature of society and or different cultures, if you disagree with promoting it then I would suggest that you make that clear. Otherwise appreciate that others don't necessarily share your view.

Certainly not cause to demote my validity as a member from validated to " last chance saloon".

However, if you are discussing this type of journalism in a wider commentary on standards then I would agree with you that it is endemic of falling standards in cultural transmission...but perhaps you should be citing notable ideas on the topic to elucidate your views, ie goffman for example.
Mo Kingbird
Last Chance Saloon
Last Chance Saloon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Msm encouraging one night stands Reply with quote

I apologise if you are offended tony, but I still think your argument was a bit flimsy, in this case, and unclear...in fact I can't find any academic work to back up the claim I have inferred that you were making on this site.

Here is an article that sheds a bit more light on what I think you are getting at in this subsection. Critical discourse analysis is the toolkit, if you like, that is generally considered the way of unpicking the layers of semiosis in texts. I am sidestepping the issue of promiscuity for a moment and concentrating on more of the root cause, for I categorically believe that it is the right of two consenting adults to do more or less as they please.

As I had mentioned, goffman is a key figure in this debate, but what is really at the core is a tension between power and authority (in a foucauldian sense) and domination/subordination. In my view, teenage literature is a rife breeding ground for questionable marketing tactics, as such perfect for this type of analysis, and the link I will provide is to an academic paper that uses corpus linguistics and intra semiotic analysis to elucidate the values that are being transmitted by the texts.

http://www.upv.es/dla_revista/docs/art2011/02_RDLAn6_AlcantudDiaz_Mari a.pdf

In conclusion, although you were originally criticizing the huffington post article, which is fair enough, I think that marketing strategies are more compatible with a critical analytic method. As such, more comprehensible, as the causal aim and objective is clearer. Maybe you disagree, which is fine, so long as you explain it.

I hope that has cleared up any confusion.

All best.
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy do you know how to labour a non-point.
Bye!

www.mediafor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> The War On Children, Marriage and the Family All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: