FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sydney bush fires climate change is the cause?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Other Controversies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Whitehall_Bin_Men
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Sydney bush fires climate change is the cause? Reply with quote

Volunteer Fire Fighters Association
It is high time bureaucrats and politicians stopped blaming climate change for a bushfire crisis that is very much of their own making and is putting lives at risk
https://volunteerfirefighters.org.au/it-is-high-time-bureaucrats-and-p oliticians-stopped-blaming-climate-change-for-a-bushfire-crisis-that-i s-very-much-of-their-own-making-and-is-putting-lives-at-risk

By Alan Jones, 18th November 2019

The ABC were at it again last week, fawning over 23 former fire and emergency leaders who commented, outside their area of expertise, about an alleged relationship between bushfires and climate change.

It is worth asking how the non-expert views of such people are even newsworthy.

But the propaganda in relation to climate change, from the classroom to the university to politicians and to most of the media, has to give cause for concern.

As The Australian newspaper editorialised at the weekend, “It is time for a dose of icy water. Climate change did not cause the fires.

Drought and even deadlier blazes have been part of Australian life for more than a century … even if Australians eliminated all of the nation’s greenhouse gases, about 1.3 per cent of the global total, and pandered to extremists who want meat consumption, grazing and flying reduced markedly, nothing, virtually nothing, would be achieved …”

Well, let’s deal first with the “deadlier” blazes.

Firey’s are constrained in executing their duties by Greenies and green policies – Artwork: Terry Pontikos
Dramatic language has been used to suggest that the devastation of last week is “unprecedented”, “apocalyptic”, “catastrophic”, and the result of the “worst bushfire conditions ever”.

So what is to be made of the Black Saturday fire in Victoria in 2009 which burned 450,000 hectares of land, killed 173 people and destroyed more than 2000 homes? Or the Ash Wednesday fire in Victoria and South Australia in 1983, which burned 520,000 hectares, destroyed 2400 homes and killed 75 people? Or the Tasmanian Black Tuesday fires in 1967, which burned more than 260,000 hectares, destroyed something like 1400 homes and killed 62 people? Or, back in 1939, the Black Friday fire, which burned almost two million hectares, destroyed more than 700 homes and resulted in 71 fatalities?

Dramatic language has been used to suggest that the devastation of last week is “unprecedented”, “apocalyptic”, “catastrophic”, and the result of the
“worst bushfire conditions ever” – Picture: AAP/Jeremy Piper
Adding Fuel to the Fire
No one is denying the gravity of what people and firefighters have been through now, but it is no use gilding the lily here.

You can’t have a fire without fuel.

Two factors above all else come into play here.

In NSW, when Bob Carr was the minister, and later premier, he ratified moves to have fire trails abandoned.

Carr’s moves prevented access to those fire trails by the Rural Fire Service, under the pretext he was keeping four 4WDs and campers out.

The government (and how many problems that we face today are created by government?) put locked gates on these national parks and planted big rocks at the entry to the fire trails.

Understandably, the fire trails are now overgrown with regrowth forest, impenetrable to everybody except native and feral animals.

The fire trails are now overgrown with regrowth forest, impenetrable to everybody except native and feral animals – Picture: AAP/Jeremy Piper
Yet it was these fire trails that enabled the fire fighters to get to the heart of a fire.

They could then create back burning and land clearing.

Fire fighters could mobilise earth-moving equipment and successfully put the fire out.

In those days, water bombing wasn’t in vogue.

It wasn’t necessary and, anyway, it was too expensive. The fire trails were “fit for purpose”.

Today, the fire fighters know they are hopelessly limited by where they can gain access to the fires. They have to rely on very expensive water bombing strategies.

The greenies, of course, endorse this strategy.

Except that they, disturbingly, prefer the use of freshwater, which we don’t have, over salt water in putting out bushfires.

And that is allegedly to “protect” the environment.

The Black Saturday fire in Victoria in 2009 which burned 450,000 hectares of land, killed 173 people and destroyed more than 2000 homes.
As one of my listeners said: “This sounds like fiction but it is not. What is all this ‘protect the environment’ hypocrisy? When have we seen any Greens MP, Zali Steggall, Adam Bandt, Sarah Hanson-Young and their leader, Richard Di Natale, line up alongside Tony Abbott to fight the fires?”

Then-senator John Williams said in 2013, “The problem in our national parks is that we have these savage fires with huge amounts of fuel per hectare; we are killing the trees, we’re killing the animals, we’re killing the koalas and anything else that lives in these areas and we call it conservation …”

You and I would call it destruction.

I repeat, you cannot have a fire without fuel.

Re-Learn to Burn
When you think there are seven million hectares of national parks in NSW alone, 200 of them in Sydney, and yet hazard reduction burns have occurred on less than 1 per cent of fire-prone land, then we are staring at a potential inferno.

This has nothing to do with climate change.

Dr Paul Read, co-director of Australia’s National Centre for Research in Bushfire and Arson, puts the number of bushfires in Australia per year at, on average, “62,000 and increasing”.

Of those, 13 per cent are started deliberately and 37 per cent are suspicious. That means 31,000 Australian bushfires are either the product of arson or suspected arson, every year. That means that up to 85 bushfires begin every day because someone leaves their home and decides to start one.

The Ash Wednesday fire in Victoria and South Australia in 1983, burned 520,000 hectares, destroyed 2400 homes and killed 75 people.
Thousands of men and women are risking their lives fighting fires and many have been deliberately lit.

The guts of the problem is again government.

Local governments are being blamed for all of this, but they have no power to even lift a fallen tree or remove a broken branch.

If they want to back-burn or reduce the fuel on the forest floor, they must get permission from state government and jump through endless hoops.

That is, if local government want to reduce the fire hazard.

Indigenous Australians knew how to deal with fire. We have learnt nothing from them. The problem is simple. There is too much fuel on the floor and we cannot get at it.

Arguing that we need more water bombers, and we will have to buy them from overseas, is attacking the symptom, not the disease.

Bureaucratic Undergrowth
The current strategies have us facing potentially appalling consequences and have nothing to do with protecting the environment.

We need an independent body, removed from all government, with a simple brief to secure hazard reduction.

I saw a pathetic defence of government policy last week when Environment Minister Matt Kean said the government had exceeded its own “five-year rolling target for hazard reduction”.

And “that target says that over five years, on average, we will do hazard reduction of 135,000 hectares”.

NSW Rural Fire Service crews monitor the burn of a containment line around a property at Colo Heights, north west of Sydney on November 16 – Picture: AAP/Dan Himbrechts
National parks in New South Wales cover more than seven million hectares so at the rate of 135,000 hectares a year, you are looking at more than 51 years to complete the hazard reduction in all of them. That is somewhere south of useless.

With all the odds against them, massive build-up of fuel on the floor, dry weather, frightening winds, arsonists and governments pandering to the Greens, our fire services and volunteers are veritable heroes and should be recognised as such.

And so are the employers who fund the volunteers while they do their work.

In the midst of all of this, it is easy to forget the good stories.

One concerns Paul Sefsky, near Urunga on the mid-north coast.

He expected to lose his home. He fled when the evacuation order came through. Firefighters managed to save his home. When he returned home, he found a handwritten note from the firefighters who had saved it. It said: “It was a pleasure to save your house. Sorry that we could not save your sheds. PS. We owe you some milk.”

This is moving and inspirational. We owe such firefighters better management of the risk than is currently the case.

Listen to the Alan Jones Breakfast Program on 2GB weekdays from 5.30am to 9am.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Related Posts
Unprecedented?
People are losing their lives, and we are experiencing unprecedented environmental, social and economic destruction as a result of bad politics. It is entirely within your power to put an end to this abhorrent situation. Instead, Australians are being told…

The Greens - Not Climate Change - Are to Blame for
Even a hippy in Nimbin knows that greenies are to blame for the power and intensity of NSW’s latest bout of tragic bushfires. “The Greens have to cop it on the head — they have been obsessed with no fires…

Danger of cutbacks to rangers burns NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro
A fierce feud has ignited between NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro and the Public Service Association following revelations the number of rangers, who perform hazard reduction burns, has been cut by a third since the Coalition came to power in…

The Empirical Ways of the Rural Fire Service
Like many farmers I have been fighting bushfires for over 40 years doing no more than any farmer in helping neighbours. But in that time I have watched the Rural Fire Service (RFS) develop into a mega bureaucracy that is…

Are we spending enough on our fire trails?
At a recent Group Captains meeting, the topic of fire trail maintenance was heavily discussed. The general consensus was that we used to achieve a whole lot more fire trail maintenance than we do now.

Rural Fires Amendment (Fire Trails) Bill 2016
Most would agree that enhancing our fire trail network would be of enormous benefit to our communities and to the safety of our firefighters. However, the new section 62W suggests an intent to place some additional financial burden for the…

Website CoordinatorNovember 19, 2019Articles43 Comments
← ‘Mortally wounded’: how bushfire ruined the lives of Coonabarabran residentsVolunteer firefighter suffered chronic PTSD after attending 772 traumatic incidents, court told →
43 thoughts on “It is high time bureaucrats and politicians stopped blaming climate change for a bushfire crisis that is very much of their own making and is putting lives at risk”
Peter Buckland
December 18, 2019 at 12:51 pm
How true. Currently we have not only the worst but also the most criminally liable Governments in Australias history.

David Somerville
December 21, 2019 at 12:29 am
Nothing has changed sice 1969 when I lived in Nth Springwood in the Blue Mountains west of Sydney. During these fires which raged we lost 44- homes burned to the ground, nearly 340 of them lost in a chaotic 1 day period when the fire jumped our position, at the ‘blowhole’, plus the highway, plus the railway, and landed 50 metres past our captain on the other side and took off down Safafras Gully, travelling 17 miles in just under 2 hours. We were asked for our recommendations, so this type of fire could never happen again, we gave them total details. A Deputy Captain of the Nth Springwood VFS – Mr Phil Koperberg became the Chief Fire Officer, and still NOTHING was done by Politicians to practically legislate to reduce risks! My crew lost count of the number of times we put our truck and ourselves between the fire and homes, the number of times our truck was surrounded by fire and we nearly didn’t make it out. We fought fires for 31/2 weeks straight, we supplied all our own equipment in those days, and yet, politicians could not make strategic decisions, which could and would have saved homes and lives, in future years. Fires are NOT CAUSED BY CLIMATE CHANGE, they are caused by lack of GUTS to make the CORRECT DECISIONS to reduce fuel load on the floor of the forests. The eucalypt leafs are highly imflamable, so match forest floor excess product, with high winds and you have the perfect equation for 120ft walls of flame, moving very fast, jumping 200-300 metres through the canopie.
I am 74years of age, I was a young, married man with 2 children under 2 years when those fires hit and I have never forgotten images of out of control fire and just our tanker and 7-8 guys trying to keep the heat and flames away from homes in our area.
Every politician and green tree hugger should be forced to spend active time as a volunteer fire fighter, because they don’t understand a single thing about the subject which they pontificate so eloqunetly about!

BARRY BREADEN
December 21, 2019 at 10:39 am
I agree 100%. No human being can do ANYTHING about the climate , NATURE has control of the climate as it has for billions of year’s and will continue to keep alternating between hot and cold for the next few billion years.

Simon Osborne
December 21, 2019 at 6:36 pm
I fully agree, you cannot have a fire without fuel. Our communities and RFS need to be empowered to “Re-Learn to Burn”.

Rob Currey
December 21, 2019 at 8:59 pm
Seriously how do we the people sack the government, the greens should be locked up for everyone’s benefit.
Stop sending money overseas, pull out of the UN. Stop the fracking in this country that will protect our water.
And for god’s sake can we get some leader that’s not corrupt , to much greed running this country.

Val Edwards
December 21, 2019 at 9:42 pm
It’s been a disaster going to happen for many years. Locked up National parks,farmers can’t clear , huge fuel loads through no burning in winter,but worst blocking fire trails where fire fighters had a chance to stop a fire in its early stages.

GoWest
December 22, 2019 at 5:16 am
All the climate change balony is being trotted out to divert attention from the real failure of government to “manage” all the land they have stolen from Australians. All this productive land stolen so that bureaucrats can travel to COP conferences and swan around. – biggest government corruption scandal in Australia by far. The high court has already ruled, on these type of land seizures. They can be fought.

Simon Munslow
December 22, 2019 at 7:04 am
Thank you, Alan Jones, for writing common sense, and stating what ordinary folk are thinking, but lack by and large both your eloquence and audience to articulate.
I would add that there is little grass in paddocks, so largely the fires are not grass fires, they are occurring in timber, which officials are loathe to let farmers cut, even when it is just woody weed.
Or else it is occurring in Parks, where, despite the previous catastrophe’s inadequate burning off still occurs.

Carmee Crebbin
December 22, 2019 at 7:12 am
And don’t forget Mother Nature lightening strikes. I grew up on a farm every year we would burn off in the winter generally when it was a still no wind day. We called our own shots. We never ever had any problems. The bush floor was clean, and a abundance of nature wildlife. Only other properties that where not maintained had problems. It use to anger my dad if he saw a property with overgrowth and rubbish everywhere, he would say to me” classic example of a bushfire “ don’t get me started the greens are surely responsible for all this. We would not be in this situation if the fire trails where clear and overgrowth was managed yearly in the national parks

Greg Bennett
December 22, 2019 at 7:39 am
I’m a Lismore City Councillor and farmer, I spent four years on the area bushfire committee, like you I’m over what I can only describe as stupidity surrounding the management of rural areas in relation to bushfire. I would be prepared to put a motion to Council condemning the NSW Government’s failure to manage rural NSW in relation to the bushfire danger. If this occurred across regional NSW Councils then just maybe these people might listen to reason and change their destructive policies.

Wendy Archer
December 22, 2019 at 8:56 am
Alan a great story and so true. I’m over this climate change bs, it is non existent. Our firies have been really let down by government’s state and federal for not allowing back burning and closing off the national parks, it certainly hasn’t stopped the arsonists just hindered the firies, now 2 dead and many in hospital, how many we probably won’t find out. These firies are exhausted and this is when accidents start to happen sadly they need more international help from all those countries we throw the cheque book at, not just the few groups from NZ, USA and Canada. We thank these guys immensely for their help but I have read posts where firies would come in a heartbeat but are being stopped because of lack of funds, why doesn’t the government step in and bring these firies out because ours can’t keep going. Thank you Alan for your good work.

Brad Westcott
December 22, 2019 at 9:10 am
Very interesting reading I suspect the problem is money, all these things cost, keeping fire trails clear , conducting hazard Reduction Burns (not back burns) etc. If you look at the cost of trying to control these fires so far this year and spent this money on preventative measures I am sure we would be in front.
It is the state governments responsibility for their own states, but fires do not respect boundries and the states share resources in times of need. So I think it is something the federal government should be financing.

RODNEY COOPER
December 22, 2019 at 9:54 am
The views of many fire chiefs are of no worth yet the views of an ex-teacher of English and current radio presenter are gospel truths? How did so much expertise get to reside in one man?

Elenore Buchinger
December 22, 2019 at 10:41 am
I believe there is an agenda..

Louise Maguire
December 22, 2019 at 10:42 am
I agree with this article but would like to add that now, with the huge fuel load in areas that will be subject to controlled burns, which themselves can become hit fires, we need a three pronged attack.
We need to thin, graze and then burn these areas. Not politically correct but the only practical solution.

Ray
December 22, 2019 at 11:26 am
The greens are a pack of morons they put a stop to everything that is good for our Country.Our resources our underground but we are unable to extract.next we we run out of gas , it’s there but we can’t get it cause the greens won’t allow us to fracture.Fires same can’t illiminate the dangers as in causes back burning is areas is voodoo not touch U may kill a tree.FFS wot does a bunch fire do you idiots

jason sheaff
December 22, 2019 at 11:41 am
so the 23 ex fire chiefs are ”unqualified” or not experts in the field of fire fighting ?
Black Saturday fires .7th February / Ash Wednesday fires started 16 February /Black Tuesday fire started 7th February / Black Saturday fires of 1937/8 peaking in January 1938 . none of these catastrophic fires began in October or early November.
Current government regulations and policies control when back burning is permitted and i have no idea when the ”Greenies’ were in power to implement the regulations stated in this article , the current government has the power to remove rocks and re open fire trails but would rather rip down stadiums and rebuild them in Sydney and blame Labor and Greens for anything that goes wrong in the state / country . as does the so called current media . yes we do live in dangerous times .

Bruce Shea
December 22, 2019 at 11:51 am
Yes!! Go get ’em guys. Go in swinging, the bloody rot has to stop.

Leslie Barrell
December 22, 2019 at 12:29 pm
Alan;well said,you have vividly pointed out the truth;shewing the evil Greens[woke,socialist extinction rebellion filth]their face to the Australien people.Australia thanks you Alan for exposing this madness and alerting us to the often mindedness idiosy of people in charge of Beautiful Australia.

Bill Kruizinga
December 22, 2019 at 1:28 pm
After working over 35 years in the bush (timber industry), I couldn’t agree more in the written article. Governments, in power, or Opposition, or fence sitters, should be ashamed of themselves, and be called to answer.

Adele Clarke
December 22, 2019 at 2:10 pm
Let’s stop pointing fingers and work together on strategies to prevent these fires happening again. Talk to the people on the ground, they at least have a clue as to what happens! Fuel reduction is imperative!

Jeff Cain
December 22, 2019 at 2:13 pm
I grew up in the bush on a dairy farm and as a boy I remember the local CFA every year would come along and control burn from our boundary fence back out to the road this made a great fire break if in the event a bush fire did happen. They did this in sections so the wild life had the opportunity escape. Worked perfectly we were never in fear of a major bush fire. Move over you greens and give back the power to the local farmers and local CFA to manage there own area.

Sue Klein
December 22, 2019 at 2:39 pm
l agree the Volunteers are heroes and the Greens are at fault!!!

Pat
December 22, 2019 at 2:47 pm
The intensity of the bushfires we are experiencing can be laid fairly and squarely at the feet of successive State and Federal governments! They have permitted, nay encouraged, our national forests to become storehouses of underbrush and dead timber………holocausts just awaiting that errant lighting strike or deliberate action by an idiot! In the midst of a drought we are not permitting the use of salt water to help douse the fires…….salt was used for years to de-ice our roads….the land recovered as it always does. I could go on and on about government ineptitude and pandering to non scientific squawking from the ‘green’ contingent……how many of them belong to our rural fire brigades? How many of them actually understand our ‘brown’ land to the extent that our rural Aborigines do? Future generations will not forget today’s politicians and will do so for all the wrong reasons……Shame on you all!!,!

mark lamrock
December 22, 2019 at 3:23 pm
how true its back on the greeies never let this happen ever again, new lessons have learned this should never happen again our RFS do the best job that our local government will let them do , this should never be the case our local government must let our RFS people do the work needed to prevent this horrific fire storm and with the RFS doing the work that is needed they are a very profesional crowd they know what needs to be done

Colin Parry
December 22, 2019 at 5:09 pm
2GB & Affiliated radio stations are full of right wing shock jocks. Jones. Hadley etc. Remind me again where the Greens are in power in any Commonwealth, State, Local government seats !!! Apart from some inner city seats , where their power is minimal. 11,000 independent scientists cannot all be wrong re climate change.

Nev Mitchell
December 22, 2019 at 5:15 pm
This needs amending right now , tear up the current laws and go back to what we all use to see in forests , trails , but I don’t think it will happen , common sense will be stifled by political mateships ( votes )

Mike
December 22, 2019 at 5:30 pm
Being a former QFRS Senior Officer (Inspector Urban/Rural) and still a RFS volunteer I am in a position to attest to bushfire control to be firmly in the affirmative for structured hazard reduction operations.
Programed patchwork fuel reduction burns are proven activities to both reduce heavy vegetation fuel loadings and preserve wildlife.
Aboriginal cool burns were conducted around water sources to encourage wildlife to attend and eat fresh vegetation following rain and heavy dew.
Only fair dinkum burning activities will alleviate future threats from bushfire.

Rick Grzyb
December 22, 2019 at 5:37 pm
climate change is a fact, why a news reporter is acting like he carries the sway of facts is a joke.

Ray Brown
December 22, 2019 at 5:38 pm
Well written and so true.

Bibi Liati
December 22, 2019 at 5:53 pm
OMG! This post is 💯 correct ❗️
Why can’t people see this❓💔

Jason
December 22, 2019 at 6:01 pm
Whilst not the Australian way, if all of those courageous volunteer fire fighters walked away and refused to put their lives at risk the politicians and nanny brigade would have to rethink, and perhaps, just perhaps not be so blinded by their own ego.

Bev Buckley
December 22, 2019 at 6:36 pm
Perhaps we even need to look at whether the government policies are developed in order to facilitate the Agenda 20 (now 30 ) policy of depopulation and centralised planning. Draining rivers for large scale agriculture in desert areas and underground artesian water basins and allowing fracking everywhere so that all available water is used by extraction industries rather than being reserved for farming is a strategy of such insanity that it has to be part of someone’s deliberate agenda. With no water nothing survives . Allowing our land to be regularly sprayed with aluminium, barium and strontium filled chemtrails can only be explained in terms of a deliberate policy to destroy. The chemtrails chemicals are fire accelerants. Why do we allow that to happen? Ignorant on the part of the majority. Deliberate destruction by the few. We can’t rely on the politicians to fix the problem. They’re causing the problem. Attributing the blame for climate extremes on CO2 levels means that all our attention and energy is focused on something we cannot realistically change and takes focus away from things that will make a difference such as water retention schemes, backburning, maintaining fire trails and restoring bush land and planting trees.

Brett Mason
December 22, 2019 at 9:31 pm
This whole page is full of misinformation. Fair dinkum people.

Website CoordinatorPost author
December 23, 2019 at 5:04 pm
Well said Greg, let’s make that happen. The Shires Association / Local Government NSW has expressed concerns on the management of our Rural Fire Service in the past. Perhaps now is a good time to revisit. We got more burning done before the State took over.

christine anderson
December 23, 2019 at 7:38 pm
When whites first settled in Sydney, much of it was clear open spaces because the indigenous peoples carried out burns. Wherever needed the original land holders burned sections of the bush. Add to this the mountain folk of the Snowies learned from the First Nations people where the tracks up the mountains and across the mountains were and with it water holes, springs, rivers. They too had the wise habit of regular burning of some areas. This was done without total destruction of the environment. Drovers followed where the Aborigines went knowing they would find water for their stock. In the years that followed, summer saw the trek each year up to the Leases where stockmen spent time tending the herds. A good many were indigenous people and they taught the settlers how to burn sections prior to descending the mountains before the first snows. Then the Greenies pushed for a halt to all this. The undergrowth is thick and primed to burn and at times has done so.

Drovers all over NSW used to cook on open fires and would gather dead wood for camp fires and also carry some into areas of no trees. Now regulation after regulation. The camp fires are frowned upon as the timber housed insects for wild animals. Remember the drover’s routes followed where the original race travelled. They used fire wood. Some areas they burned. The environment was in total balance.

Tiny villages too in the bush are prohibited from picking up fallen timber to heat their homes and the villages also followed where the koori went. So dead wood lines many roads and stock routes. We make some stupid political decisions and it is high time we started listening to elderly First Nations folk and old timers who learned from them how to use the land wisely.

Irrigation and diverting water has its own issues too. The old fire trails should be redone where possible and heaven forbid, let trail riders on horses help keep them open and encourage them to destroy weeds on the track.

Tom McLaren
December 27, 2019 at 9:32 am
The Greens might be one contributing factor to lack of controlled burning, but I’m pretty sure the main factor is the drought, which has limited our opportunities to burn. And the drought is caused by …. climate change? I’m not sure. I am fairly certain that we’ve doomed future generations to a lifetime of summers like this one, because of our selfish inaction on climate change.

The main article is just stupid. Jones starts out by saying the former fire chiefs aren’t qualified to talk about climate change, then presents his opinions on climate change as fact. Hypocrisy much?

Then the one that really bugs me – that old chestnut about how Australia only produces 1.3% of global emissions. It’s not about the emissions that we produce, it’s about the impact we have on global politics. Australia is one of the three countries which blocked progress at the most recent climate change summit, along with the US and Brazil. Disgraceful. How about I use an analogy – Australia has 7 million acres of bushland to protect and I can only protect 0.00000000000000013% of them by joining the RFS, so there’d be no point to me doing that so I’ll just sit at home and turn the telly on. No, that’d be unaustralian….or would it?

Pingback: Apostate churches want action on ‘climate change’ while Australia burns | Red Sky in the morning

Amy Macdonnald
December 28, 2019 at 7:42 am
Clearly the Drought and heatwaves through winter prevented burning. You can’t burn off when the fire could get out of control.

The shift in seasons and increased intensity of natural disasters made these fires what they are. This is text book climate change and Alan is pointing the finger at everyone but himself.

He and others like him around the world actively campaigned to prevent action on climate change and this is the result.

There’s blood on his hands. Again.

This article is just more of his anti science propaganda.

Take it down.

December 28, 2019 at 8:15 am
Amy
Many farmers and firefighters with ‘bush skills’ say that dry conditions actually broaden the burning window of opportunity because you can burn throughout winter.
Thanks for your comment, we all need to keep an open mind on these issues.

December 28, 2019 at 8:17 am
Tom
Many farmers and firefighters with ‘bush skills’ say that dry conditions actually broaden the burning window of opportunity because you can burn throughout winter.

Mick
December 30, 2019 at 8:21 am
Ive been saying this for years and this goes for compamies and governments alike, Quote” yes you may be a govenor or be the boss but you have people around you that know and understand more about the issues than you do so listen to them, you will find they will be more willing and loyal as a result and things will be done/managed in an efficiant and effective way” if a government regardless of where in the world they are did this they would be voted in and remain in, I cant understand why they have to be so bad at matters.

Also, if asked a question then give a straight answer, why tell us the winner of the derby in 1996 when the question was totally different?

Find me a government that is straight and listens to good honest pratical people and tells it how it is and they have my vote.

Jan Ryan
December 30, 2019 at 9:51 am
The leading experts in the risk management of bushfires in Australia put the current situation down to a lack of funding. Management has become more difficult due to increased settlement adding complexity to planned burning and “shrinking safe weather windows”. (These experts are at Wollongong and Tasmania universities.)
They say there is more pre-burning than ever but it is not enough and far more money needs to be put into management.
Alan Jones writes well but he does need to say who the sources of his information are specifically so his facts can be checked. Then I’d be happy to agree with him, since it would be great if the solution to these fires was as simple as stopping greens from stopping hazard reduction. Problem solved.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment

Name *

Email *

Website

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Search our Site

1300 609 221
The VFFA can now be contacted on 1300 609 221. Incoming phone calls are converted to a voice message and directed to the appropriate person.

Recent Comments
Jan Ryan on It is high time bureaucrats and politicians stopped blaming climate change for a bushfire crisis that is very much of their own making and is putting lives at risk
Mick on It is high time bureaucrats and politicians stopped blaming climate change for a bushfire crisis that is very much of their own making and is putting lives at risk
Stephen Nenke on NSW Government bushfire inquiry to focus on failures in hazard reduction
Satya on Green ideology, not climate change, makes bushfires worse
Improved Respiratory Protection for Firefighters - Part 2: Exposure Standards on Improved Respiratory Protection for Firefighters – Part 3: What can we do about Carbon Monoxide?
Recent Posts
VFFA Magazine – Out Now December 29, 2019
Bush Fire Environmental Assessment Code December 28, 2019
Improved Respiratory Protection for Firefighters – Part 3: What can we do about Carbon Monoxide? December 27, 2019
Improved Respiratory Protection for Firefighters – Part 2: Exposure Standards December 27, 2019
Improved Respiratory Protection for Firefighters – Part 1: Smoke December 27, 2019
I am a volunteer firefighter. Yes, we ‘want to be here’, Scott Morrison – but there are limits! December 14, 2019
Volunteer firefighters in Australia warned not to crowdfund for equipment December 13, 2019
3D Continuous Fuels December 13, 2019
Why the RFS won’t pay for ‘game-changing’ respirator masks December 13, 2019
Performance of the Fair Air Fire Mask December 13, 2019

http://aanirfan.blogspot.com
Martin Van Creveld: Let me quote General Moshe Dayan: "Israel must be like a mad dog, too dangerous to bother."
Martin Van Creveld: I'll quote Henry Kissinger: "In campaigns like this the antiterror forces lose, because they don't win, and the rebels win by not losing."
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Australia - Wake Up Or Die!
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBsFVn-kKV8[/youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBsFVn-kKV8

thecrowhouse
192K subscribers
#ArrestScottMorrisonForTreason The Drought and accompanying firestorm currently gripping Australia has been brought about, and is being managed, very deliberately. And the treasonous criminal racketeers masquerading as the Australian Government are using the drought they have purposely manufactured to push Agenda 21 onto the people of Australia. If you are an Australian, or you care about Australia and its people, please share this everywhere and help make this video viral. Please Share - Mirror - Reupload and repost this video Everywhere you can.
Please folks, I implore you to help because we are getting hammered here in Australia and this is no joke. The creek out the front has stopped flowing. Ive been in this area 52 years and these creeks have never been dry. Hideous droughts Ive seen, all the grass dead, but I have never seen the creeks stop flowing because they are all spring fed from aquifers below ground. But now they have harvested the water from the flood plains, they are draining the artesian basin and they have felled trees on the mountains and exposed the well springs to the sun and the springs have stopped flowing. And this NOT from "climate change". This is Deliberate! And its not just in the valley where I live. It is all the creeks around here on both sides of the ranges... the springs have stopped.... the sky is full of smoke outside and the sunlight is red.... it looks surreal... they are killing us, they are killing everything, all the wild life, everything, and they are driving the people into the cities. This is agenda 21 in full swing.

http://thecrowhouse.com
Support The Crowhouse: https://www.patreon.com/maxigan
Bitcoin: 1F6bEEsJHZZhHeT4fmN9iQCwF1Yqu5UZSD

Drought by Design - The Genociding of Australia:

Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8XmlMpJSJ8

S100: Flood Plain Harvesting:

Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9prJ_NsAo4

"Private" Dams Are Being Built in Australia:
https://theconversation.com/dams-are-...

Water Corruption Fraud Australian Government:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5B42...

Olam Selling Permanent "Water Rights" in Australia for $452.7m:
https://www.straitstimes.com/business...

NSW Considering Evacuating Up to 90 Towns if They "Run Out of Water":
https://www.thefifthestate.com.au/art...

Bringing the Defence Force into Australia’s "Climate-Change Fight":
https://www.aspistrategist.org.au/bri...

Scott Morrison Says Australian Drought is a "Necessary Evil":
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...

LiabilityMate YouTube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/liabilitymate

Section 100: The Commonwealth shall NOT BY ANY LAW, or REGULATION of TRADE or COMMERCE , ABRIDGE THE RIGHT of a STATE or of THE RESIDENTS to the REASONABLE USE OF WATERS of RIVERS for CONSERVATION or IRRIGATION...

Share - Mirror - Reupload and repost this video Everywhere

www.actorsandartistsfor911truth.org
www.mediafor911truth.org
www.pilotsfor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
www.radio4all.net/index.php/contributor/2149
http://utangente.free.fr/2003/media2003.pdf
"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung
https://37.220.108.147/members/www.bilderberg.org/phpBB2/
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Darling River is simply not supposed to dry out, even in drought
January 15, 2019 7.13pm GMT
http://theconversation.com/the-darling-river-is-simply-not-supposed-to -dry-out-even-in-drought-109880

Fran Sheldon
Professor, Australian Rivers Institute, Griffith University

Disclosure statement
Fran Sheldon receives funding from the Australian Research Council and has at times undertaken paid contract work for the Murray Darling Basin Authority and the Commonwealth Environmental Water Holder.

The deaths of a million or more fish in the lower Darling River system over the past few weeks should come as no surprise. Quite apart from specific warnings given to the NSW government by their own specialists in 2013, scientists have been warning of devastation since the 1990s.

Put simply, ecological evidence shows the Barwon-Darling River is not meant to dry out to disconnected pools – even during drought conditions. Water diversions have disrupted the natural balance of wetlands that support massive ecosystems.

Unless we allow flows to resume, we’re in danger of seeing one of the worst environmental catastrophes in Australia.

Dryland river
The Barwon-Darling River is a “dryland river”, which means it is naturally prone to periods of extensive low flow punctuated by periods of flooding.

However, the presence of certain iconic river animals within its channels tell us that a dry river bed is not normal for this system. The murray cod, dead versions of which have recently bought graziers to tears and politicians to retch, are the sentinels of permanent deep waterholes and river channels – you just don’t find them in rivers that dry out regularly.

Less conspicuous is the large river mussel, Alathyria jacksoni, an inhabitant of this system for thousands of years. Its shells are abundant in Aboriginal middens along the banks. These invertebrates are unable to tolerate low flows and low oxygen, and while dead fish will float (for a while), shoals of river mussels are probably dead on the river bed.

This extensive drying event will cause regional extinction of a whole raft of riverine species and impact others, such as the rakali. We are witnessing an ecosystem in collapse.

Catastrophic drying
We can see the effects of permanent drying around the world. The most famous example is the drying of the Aral Sea in Central Asia. Once the world’s fourth largest inland lake, it was reduced to less than 10% of its original volume after years of water extraction for irrigation.

The basin that once held the Aral Sea. The giant lake has shrunk dramatically since dams were built around it in the 1960s. AAP Image/NASA Earth Observatory
The visual results of this exploitation still shock: images of large fishing boats stranded in a sea of sand, abandoned fishing villages, and a vastly changed microclimate for the regions surrounding the now-dry seabed. Its draining has been described as “the world’s worst environmental disaster”.

Read more: Humans drained the Aral Sea once before – but there are no free refills this time round

So, what does the Aral Sea and its major tributaries and the Darling River system with its tributary rivers have in common? Quite a lot, actually. They both have limited access to the outside world: the Aral Sea basin has no outflow to the sea, and while the Darling River system connects to the River Murray at times of high flow, most of its water is held within a vast network of wetlands and floodplain channels. Both are semi-arid. More worryingly, both have more the 50% of their average inflows extracted for irrigation.

There is one striking difference between them. The Aral Sea was a permanent inland lake and its disappearance was visually obvious. The wetlands and floodplains of the Barwon-Darling are mostly ephemeral, and the extent of their drying is therefore hard to visualise.

Read more: It's time to restore public trust in the governing of the Murray Darling Basin

An orphaned ship in former Aral Sea, near Aral, Kazakhstan. Wikipedia
All the main tributaries of the Darling River have floodplain wetland complexes in their lower reaches (such as the Gwydir Wetlands, Macquarie Marshes and Narran Lakes). When the rivers flow they absorb the water from upstream, filling before releasing water downstream to the next wetland complex; the wetlands acting like a series of tipping buckets. Regular river flows are essential for these sponge-like wetlands.

So, how has this hydrological harmony of regular flows and fill-and-spill wetlands changed? And how does this relate to the massive fish kills we are seeing in the lower Darling system?

Read more: How is oxygen 'sucked out' of our waterways?

While high flows will still make it through the Barwon-Darling, filling the floodplains and wetlands, and connecting to the River Murray, the low and medium flow events have disappeared. Instead, these are captured in the upper sections of the basin in artificial water storages and used in irrigation.

This has essentially dried the wetlands and floodplains at the ends of the tributaries. Any water not diverted for irrigation is now absorbed by the continually parched upstream wetlands, leaving the lower reaches vulnerable when drought hits.

By continually keeping the Barwon-Darling in a state of low (or no) flow, with its natural wetlands dry, we have reduced its ability to cope with extended drought.

Read more: Why a wetland might not be wet

While droughts are a natural part of this system and its river animals have adapted, they can’t adjust to continual high water caused in some areas by water diversions – and they certainly can’t survive long-term drying.

The Basin Plan has come some way in restoring some flows to the Barwon-Darling, but unless we find a way to restore more of the low and medium flows to this system we are likely witnessing Australia’s worst environmental disaster.

www.mediafor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drought-ravaged farmers furious at Chinese company being allowed to take 100MILLION litres of water from their region - as residents run short and can barely shower
Residents of Southern Downs region are furious at plan to sell off water
The deal came despite taxpayers being limited to three-minute-long showers
Water will be taken by the Chinese-owned company and bottled in Gold Coast
One farmer said it felt like 'salt in the wound' as landowners struggle to cope
By ALISHA ROUSE FOR DAILY MAIL AUSTRALIA

PUBLISHED: 22:50, 15 January 2020 | UPDATED: 22:56, 15 January 2020
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7892143/Drought-stricken-farm s-furious-Chinese-company-allowed-100-million-litres-water.html

A Chinese company plans to buy more than 100 million litres of groundwater from a community so badly hit by droughts that 50 truck loads of water have to be driven in every day.

Farmers and landholders are furious that the Southern Downs Regional Council approved the controversial Chinese sell-off.

Residents have been hit by harsh water restrictions and are only allowed to wash their clothes every third day and are forced to have three minute showers.

The area is completely dependent an astonishing 50 truckloads of water being carted in every day from a dam 75km away.

A dried up-dam at Cottonvale apple orchard (pictured), outside drought-ravaged Stanthorpe, which is in the Southern Downs region +7
A dried up-dam at Cottonvale apple orchard (pictured), outside drought-ravaged Stanthorpe, which is in the Southern Downs region

The council has told its ratepayers that new restriction translates to no more than 90 seconds of shower time using a non-water efficient shower head (pictured) +7
The council has told its ratepayers that new restriction translates to no more than 90 seconds of shower time using a non-water efficient shower head (pictured)

Landowners said there was 'no excuse' for the lack of government opposition to the Chinese holding company's plans to guzzle the local groundwater.

TOP ARTICLES
1/5
READ MORE
Cruise passenger dies after making 'a clean
jump' from the 10-story deck of Royal Carribean ship

Cattle farmer Andrew O'Dea, whose family have worked the land for four generations, said he was 'gutted'.

'This mine is going to have a severe impact on our groundwater supplies,' he told the Australian. he said.

'There is no excuse to justify taking 96 million litres of water a year out of the aquifer. The risk is just too high.'

His 8,000 hectare farm normally holds around 200 breeders, but thanks to the crippling drought there are just six.

Low water levels and dry land at the Storm King Dam near Stanthorpe (pictured) has left residents rely on trucks delivering water daily +7
Low water levels and dry land at the Storm King Dam near Stanthorpe (pictured) has left residents rely on trucks delivering water daily

An 80-litre water restriction per person per day is in place for Stanthorpe residents (an earlier and more lenient 100-litre restriction in the town in October) +7
An 80-litre water restriction per person per day is in place for Stanthorpe residents (an earlier and more lenient 100-litre restriction in the town in October)

'I guess it’s a bit of salt in the wound, having to make decisions based on a lack of water when others are trying to sell their excess,' he said.

The council tightened the water restrictions last month, just one day after approving the controversial deal.

It will take around 96 million litres of water a year away from the community from an aquifer beneath the Cherrabah Resort near Warwick.

RELATED ARTICLES
Previous
Next
Rain bomb to bring 80mm to drought stricken states | Daily Mail Online
Extraordinary footage shows how a huge dam three times the size of Sydney...
SHARE THIS ARTICLE
The water will then be transported to the Gold Coast for commercial plastic bottling.

The Chinese-owned Royal Duke Holdings, operator of the Cherrabah Resort, has succeeded in winning approval for its groundwater mining venture on various conditions, including upgrading nearby roads.

Grazier John Cookson feeds sheep on his family's drought affected property near Dirranbandi in southwest Queensland (pictured) as the state continues to suffer +7
Grazier John Cookson feeds sheep on his family's drought affected property near Dirranbandi in southwest Queensland (pictured) as the state continues to suffer

Storm King Dam, the main resource for the area's water, is at just 9.6 per cent capacity.

Southern Downs Mayor Tracy Dobie told the newspaper it was not the council's job to issue and manage water-extraction licences, as this is a government matter.

The 'full-time water carting' from Connolly Dam consists of 1.3 megalitres per day and Ms Dobie said the operation is the biggest of its kind by an Australian local government.

The ground in Warwick, Queensland (pictured) is so dry that it is regularly falling apart under people's feet +7
The ground in Warwick, Queensland (pictured) is so dry that it is regularly falling apart under people's feet

'We've now commenced full trucking of water. There's 14 trucks doing three trips a day,' she said.

'The council promised the community we would not run out of water.

'The initial stages of water carting went extremely well and without incident. We will now move to full-time water carting to provide water to the Stanthorpe Region.'

Remaining local reserves will be kept back for emergency use.

Last month, Stanthorpe received 200,000 litres of water and 130 tonnes tonnes of hay bales in a huge emergency supply package from Australia's Muslim community (pictured) +7
Last month, Stanthorpe received 200,000 litres of water and 130 tonnes tonnes of hay bales in a huge emergency supply package from Australia's Muslim community (pictured)

Despite the water importation, an 80 litres per person restriction will remain in place - four times less than the average individual water consumption of 340 litres per day according to Riverina Water.

The council has told its ratepayers the restriction translates to no more than 90 seconds of shower time using a non-water efficient shower head.

The desperate situation in the state's south-east was further highlighted last year when a struggling Stanthorpe farmer was robbed of 70,000 litres of drinking water by his neighbour.

Andrew Todd, 61, had thieves target his Stanthorpe property in Queensland's south-east three times over five months, stealing a mass amount of water.

www.mediafor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Other Controversies All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: