FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone tell me what are "The Projects" please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jane
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:37 am    Post subject: Can anyone tell me what are "The Projects" please? Reply with quote

Right, decided to risk this one...although it may well just confirm to everyone that I am now totally bonkers - I may be insulted or worse still totally ignored - but in the hope of finding a kindred soul who understands what I am on about here (possibly of the younger "cool" type mentality then my 50 year old “un-cool” self!):

Re this song I couldn't help but "notice" in 2001:

Quote:
WYCLEF JEAN LYRICS

"Wish You Were Here"

[Wyclef Jean]
Lets go
So so you think you can tell
heaven from hell
Blue skies from pain
Can you tell a green field?
from a cold steel rail
A smile from a veil
do you think you can tell
Did they get you to trade
your heros for ghosts
Hot ashes for trees
Hot air for a cool breeze
Cold comfort for change
Did you exchange
A walk on part in the war
for a lead role in the cage

whether you listenin to hip hip-hop
or you tuning to rock
refugees on your box
we gonna take over ya blocks

lets go
How I wish, how I wish you were here
We're jus two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl year after year
Runnin over the same old ground
What have we found the same old fears
Wish you were here

whether you listenin to rock
or pumpin the hip hip hop
refugees on your box

Critics don't mistake this for just any cover tune
I'ma take y'all to the dark side of the moon
Kickin in my moms room this song was just a thought
A young refugee labeled, jus come with a passport
Dad used to tell me about the American dream
My dream was waking up the projects
a young teen listening to hip hop
my brother tune me into rock
put me up on pink floyd and banned from the british blocks

whether you pumpin the hip hip hop
or you tuning to rock
refugees on your box
we gonna take over the blocks
from n.j to bk to the u.k

[Thanks to dennisdoesdallas@yahoo.com for correcting these lyrics]

[ www.azlyrics.com ]

I didn't know who the heck "Wyclef Jean" was at the time - I have now some idea that he was in / is still in the band called "The Fugees"

I had not wondered why they call themselves "The Fugees" until someone at work got an obsession about the "Shakira" record on which Wyclef Jean sings - she keeps playing it on her computer and I noticed he was on about "refugees" again:

Quote:
Ladies up in here tonight
No fighting, no fighting
We got the refugees up in here
No fighting, no fighting

So I started looking this Wyclef Jean up properly and realised all these years later that "Fugees" means "Refugees"

- "Refugees" from Heaven as we all (who can tell Stork from Butter) are! I'd assume!

Then when I looked at the Wyclef "Wish You Were Here" lyrics just now - (I only heard them on the radio before)- I distinctly noticed the words "waking up the projects" which immediately made me think of the "Immortal Technique" lyrics in their "Bin Laden" song which had previously puzzled me and do so even more now:

Quote:
"Bin Laden didn't blow up the projects"

(Neither am I at all sure why "It was you Nigga, Tell The Truth Nigga" and can only assume this is some kind of "We are all guilty for tolerating this insanity to go on?"

Maybe someone can Enlighten me on the latter part - but most of all right now I would like to ascertain - what exactly are "The Projects"???!!

Romans 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

http://www.wytruth.org.uk/
scar
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jane,
The projects are cheap, public housing run by some government agency for the poor. The ghetto.
'Waking up the projects' is waking up all those resident in these downtrodden, high crime, CIAcrack infested areas in inner cities.
'It was you nigga' refers to bush et al.
The bush crime family making fortunes from crack fed into the poor areas etc and all the policies to marginalise and destroy the chances of those who live there in favour of the rich.
Im sure there are other ways to read into it, i think you have a point also when you said "We are all guilty for tolerating this insanity to go on?"

ps: I think you're cool, age is an illusion Wink
Jane
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ps: I think you're cool, age is an illusion

Thank you, scar! Also thanks for responding!

Quote:
The projects are cheap, public housing run by some government agency for the poor. The ghetto.
'Waking up the projects' is waking up all those resident in these downtrodden, high crime, CIAcrack infested areas in inner cities.
'It was you nigga' refers to bush et al.
The bush crime family making fortunes from crack fed into the poor areas etc and all the policies to marginalise and destroy the chances of those who live there in favour of the rich.

This makes me think again of something in a Spike Lee film (I think it’s “Mo Better Blues” but I’m not sure) where the leading (Black) male character walks through his neighbourhood and to the background of some Jazz music conducts a monologue starting something like “Look what they’ve done to my people” as he looks around at all the “drug addicts” and “prostitutes” etc. If there really is a God I would think he would be looking around and thinking this right now…but “the people” (us) still have a responsibility not just to be content to be “bricks in the wall”

Which brings me to this “connection”

Quote:
CIAcrack infested areas in inner cities

At long last all my "synchronicities” may be linking together, making some kind of “sense” and hopefully helping me to change the way things currently are …not just drive me round the bend!!

Quote:
Pink Floyd: Bricks in the Wall (Paperback)
by Karl Dallas

Customer Reviews

This is not a typical historical biography of the band like we are seeing released these days. Instead, the book complements some of the other better books on the subject such as Miles and Schaffner by offering insight on society and its influence on the band (hence the title). For example, it talks about how the MI5 and CIA originally studied drug abuse as a mind control method and how that research indirectly led to the band's rise and Syd's collapse. Or how the punk movement in the mid '70s influneced Animals. It ends in 1986 by giving an even-handed view of the Waters - Gilmour situation. If you can get ahold of it, I recommend it, especially to the completist.

I shall send Mr Dallas a link to this – he may wish to comment – but I think he and his wife are away this weekend! (He will probably say I would have been better to get myself to Bradford and protest about the situation in Palestine right now then to be sat here writing all this drivel (!) but making sense of my “synchronicities” makes me believe in miracles…and to feel hopeful and positive … I am sure you would think that’s a good thing, scar?!

Romans 12:2 Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

lostpomme
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep following the synchronicities Jane! There is a need to protest and there is a need for action, but it's the little miracles (and our change of focus!) which will turn things around.

Dan

PS. You are indeed cool Wink

Jane
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the praise, Dan!!

Maybe I am "cool" after all (!!) but maybe not so "cool" as to post my ideas under "Laterst Events"!!! I have just noticed that all this has come up on the Home Page under this category!

Not sure what to do about this - but I've just sent emails to relevent people who may know!

In the mean time, whilst I have maybe managed to grab everyone's (or maybe a couple of people anyway!!) attention - please see my recent posting re David Bohm (posted under "New Terror Raid in London" - sorry I know I post things in a strange way! But this seems to me to sum it all up - and relates to the belief in a "Holographic Universe"

http://www.theosophy-nw.org/theosnw/science/prat-boh.htm

Anyone interested in this (and I do hope some of you are!) please also see:

http://www.intuitive-connections.net/2005/reality.htm

Thanks for your time folks!!

Jane
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Annoying Reply with quote

I think it may be really annoying some people that my posting is still heading the "Events" list. I hope nobody assumes I had the arrogance to post it here on purpose!

I have emailed JHR about it twice now and a couple of other people. I have no idea how you remove a posting but I know that it is possible to do this. I would like to continue this discussion but not here - people will be wanting to know what events are going on around 11th September 2006 and find all this stuff about song lyrics and think - well, I can imagine what they will be thinking and I'm beginning to worry that some of them may put their "thoughts" into emails and wing them my way!!

Anybody reading this who knows how to remove /move a thread please contact me or if you are able to - remove it / move it yourself as soon as poss!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: