FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2006 Thailand coup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ishaar
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: 2006 Thailand coup Reply with quote

Thailand coup.

Can anyone access any of the thailand news sites? I'm on Tiscali and keep finding I'm denied access at certain times to possibly sensitive info.
Anyone else having this problem?

try Bangok post
iro
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the country is in lockdown
try the malaysia star
iro
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Coup in Thailand

BANGKOK: The Thai military launched a coup against Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra on Tuesday night, circling his offices with tanks and seizing control of television stations and declaring a provisional authority pledging loyalty to the king.

An announcement on Thai television declared that a "Council of Administrative Reform'' with King Bhumibol Adulyadej as head of state had seized power in Bangkok and nearby provinces without any resistance.

At least 14 tanks surrounded Government House, Thaksin's office. Thaksin was in New York at the U.N. General Assembly and declared a state of emergency. – AP

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2006/9/20/nation/200609 20010154&sec=nation&focus=1
ishaar
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Iro. Could do with an event like that over here.
chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ishaar wrote:

Hmmmm, historically miitary coups are never good news. The military mindest tends towards the (even more) authoritarian somewhat.
iro
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chek wrote:
ishaar wrote:

Hmmmm, historically miitary coups are never good news. The military mindest tends towards the (even more) authoritarian somewhat.

not always. in latin america the military have countlessley been the only viable opposition to american dominance of their respective countries.
chavez would not be where he is if it wasnt for the army backing him.

it is true that no regime can operate without the backing of the armed services... that gives them dubious power - but in this case wait until the outcome cements before commentating. The army are handing over power to the king to appoint a new regime so thats where our eyes should focus...to be honest there is no single democracy in asia anyway that stands up to scrutiny as legitimate - this is no big thing. The normal people will get on with things.
scubadiver
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: thailand coup Reply with quote

Received this in an email from a Thai scubadiving centre that I went to, to do my basic PADI course.

Quote:

In any case please do not rely on television networks such as CNN or even BBC for unbiased news. Let us face it- good news to them is boring so no point in letting the truth get in the way of a good story! Did we ever learn that after the tsunami!

Watching BBC last night, even as they were showing the speeches at the UN, the words BANGKOK TANKS were splashed across the screen. Give us a break!

Rolling Eyes
chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iro wrote:
chek wrote:
ishaar wrote:

not always. in latin america the military have countlessley been the only viable opposition to american dominance of their respective countries.
chavez would not be where he is if it wasnt for the army backing him.

it is true that no regime can operate without the backing of the armed services... that gives them dubious power - but in this case wait until the outcome cements before commentating. The army are handing over power to the king to appoint a new regime so thats where our eyes should focus...to be honest there is no single democracy in asia anyway that stands up to scrutiny as legitimate - this is no big thing. The normal people will get on with things.

The crucial difference is that Chavez himself wasn't military, but did have their support.
I hope you're right - and judging by the media reaction you may well be - but just so long as it's not another Burma, Pakistan or Chile.
iro
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lets hope not - its unlikely tho. Thailand is a far more liberal and free nation. the people there are very free spirited and buddist by nature and no attempt to 'police state the place up' will be tolerated for long.

asia is very different to the west, no one trusts politics or even expects it to care for them BUT their attitude is very volatile when the piss is taken too much by the men in suits. If the army and people of the west had the balls that those guys have in the poorer countries we'd be saved from this agenda a long time ago - but we're too junked up on celebrity culture, junk food, aspartame and flouride to be useful on mass
Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iro wrote:
but we're too junked up on celebrity culture, junk food, aspartame and flouride to be useful on mass

and defeatist attitudes it seems.

sr4470
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Gobell wrote:
iro wrote:
but we're too junked up on celebrity culture, junk food, aspartame and flouride to be useful en masse

Wow, someone more negative than me. Cool

As for the coup...for all I know the king is like the one in Nepal. Not that I'm a fan of Thaksin either.

ishaar
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ishaar wrote:
Quote:

What I mean is, a scenario where the police and the military realised they were getting it up the ass from this government and revolted. I heard the police in Manchester were 'fuming' over the decision to ban the peace camp in Manchester. Maybe they'll be less likely to crack heads in a demo that stood for something they themselves believe in.
sr4470
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ishaar wrote:
What I mean is, a scenario where the police and the military realised they were getting it up the ass from this government and revolted.

That happened in Romania with Chaucescu (sp?)

Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Gobell wrote:
iro wrote:
but we're too junked up on celebrity culture, junk food, aspartame and flouride to be useful on mass

Speaking as one who is free of the oxymornic celeb culture, junk food, aspartame and fluoride that is.

Who also strives to avoid infesting these boards with negative, defeatist polemic.

iro
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will you get over yourself mark. we disagree - its no big deal. stop spamming every post i have made like some leech on my back ffs
Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep you eye on the ball Iro, not the man.

An answer to the above would be most welcome.

ishaar
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not both of you keep ur eye on the objectives of the group, I've read lots of good stuff from both of you...then again I guess the occaissional in house scuffle is inevitable. Just remember ur both on the same side.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: