FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intelligence report cites "leftist" groups as terr

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Stratehy Of Tension, Fake Terror, 9/11 & 7/7 Truth News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bratcat808
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Intelligence report cites "leftist" groups as terr Reply with quote

Intelligence report cites "leftist" groups as a terror threat
Summary of Glenn Greenwald post 27 Sep 2006

The now-declassified summary of the National Intelligence Estimate on "Trends on Global Terrorism" [includes this passage:] "Anti-U.S. and anti-globalization sentiment is on the rise and fueling other radical ideologies. This could prompt some leftist, nationalist, or separatist groups to adopt terrorist methods to attack US interests.
The radicalization process is occurring more quickly, more widely, and more anonymously in the Internet age, raising the likelihood of surprise attacks by unknown groups whose members and supporters may be difficult to pinpoint."
That this claim about "leftist" terrorist groups made it into the NIE summary is particularly significant in light of the torture and detention bill that is likely soon to be enacted into law. That bill defines "enemy combatant" very broadly (and the definition may be even broader by the time it is enacted) and could easily encompass domestic groups perceived by the administration to be supporting a "terrorist agenda."

War Room
The intelligence report cites "leftist" groups as a terror threat
http://www.salon.com/politics/war_room/2006/09/27/leftists/index.html

The now-declassified summary of the National Intelligence Estimate (PDF) on "Trends in Global Terrorism" focuses almost exclusively on Islamic extremists. But inserted at the very end is this one overlooked, though seemingly quite important, passage that identifies other terrorist threats:
"Anti-U.S. and anti-globalization sentiment is on the rise and fueling other radical ideologies. This could prompt some leftist, nationalist, or separatist groups to adopt terrorist methods to attack US interests. The radicalization process is occurring more quickly, more widely, and more anonymously in the Internet age, raising the likelihood of surprise attacks by unknown groups whose members and supporters may be difficult to pinpoint." It continues: "We judge that groups of all stripes will increasingly use the Internet to communicate, propagandize, recruit, train and obtain logistical and financial support."

Prior to 9/11, the worst terrorist attack on U.S. soil was in Oklahoma City, where Timothy McVeigh blew up a federal building in pursuit of his right-wing, anti-federal-government agenda. But there is nothing in the NIE findings about right-wing or anti-government groups. Instead, there is a rather stark warning about the danger of "leftist" groups using the Internet to engage in terrorist attacks against the United States. Is there any basis at all for that warning?

There have been scattered reports over the last several years that the Bush administration's anti-terrorism programs have targeted domestic political groups solely because such groups espouse views contrary to the administration's. That this claim about "leftist" terrorist groups made it into the NIE summary is particularly significant in light of the torture and detention bill that is likely soon to be enacted into law. That [sic] bill defines "enemy combatant" very broadly (and the definition may be even broader by the time it is enacted) and could easily encompass domestic groups perceived by the administration to be supporting a "terrorist agenda."
Similarly, the administration has claimed previously that it eavesdrops on the conversations of Americans only where there is reasonable grounds (as judged by the administration) to believe that one of the parties is affiliated with a terrorist group. Does that include "leftist" groups that use the Internet to organize? This NIE finding gives rise to this critical question: Are "leftist" groups one of the principal targets on the anti-terrorism agenda of the Bush administration, and if so, aren't the implications rather disturbing?

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." T. Jefferson

Last edited by bratcat808 on Sat Sep 30, 2006 11:13 am; edited 2 times in total
xmasdale
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Nafeez Ahemed's article posted on the Global Vision 2000 website here: http://www.gv2000.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=191 is an appropriate response to this report.

Noel
bratcat808
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xmasdale wrote:
I think Nafeez Ahemed's article posted on the Global Vision 2000 website here: http://www.gv2000.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=191 is an appropriate response to this report.

Noel

I looked and skimmed, but is rather a lengthy essay, so will examine more closely later. Although I do post some full articles on my site, I find that the majority of people I encounter are intimidated by such intellectual and/or detailed information and tend to pass it by as too "time consuming or 'tedious' to deal with.

I have tried, and continue to try, to shorten my own information packets and personal dialog to accommodate what might be defined as the generally short attention span of today's populace. Because there is so much information, those of us who are researching find it difficult at times to curtail our delivery to 'points of interest' that are most likely to inspire exploration of others.

I recently watched "Who Killed John Oneill" and was blown away by it, but even I had a hard time trying to keep up with all of the VERY WELL examined connections. Like the link you suggested, it is not something that you can offer to the 'mainstream' and expect comprehension or connections to the relevant issues we are trying to convey.

Do you have any other, perhaps more succinct, responses? I have yet to find much on the web, so would appreciate any info you might like to share.

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent." T. Jefferson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Stratehy Of Tension, Fake Terror, 9/11 & 7/7 Truth News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: