FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Study: 655,000 Iraqis Died Due to War

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Stratehy Of Tension, Fake Terror, 9/11 & 7/7 Truth News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John White
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject: Study: 655,000 Iraqis Died Due to War Reply with quote

Quote:
http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/10/10/D8KM6GL80.html

Study: 655,000 Iraqis Died Due to War
Oct 10 11:43 PM US/Eastern

By MALCOLM RITTER
AP Science Writer

NEW YORK

A controversial new study contends nearly 655,000 Iraqis have died because of the war, suggesting a far higher death toll than other estimates.
The timing of the survey's release, just a few weeks before the U.S. congressional elections, led one expert to call it "politics."

In the new study, researchers attempt to calculate how many more Iraqis have died since March 2003 than one would expect without the war. Their conclusion, based on interviews of households and not a body count, is that about 600,000 died from violence, mostly gunfire. They also found a small increase in deaths from other causes like heart disease and cancer.

"Deaths are occurring in Iraq now at a rate more than three times that from before the invasion of March 2003," Dr. Gilbert Burnham, lead author of the study, said in a statement.

The study by Burnham, of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, and others is to be published Thursday on the Web site of The Lancet, a medical journal.

An accurate count of Iraqi deaths has been difficult to obtain, but one respected group puts its rough estimate at closer to 50,000. And at least one expert was skeptical of the new findings.

"They're almost certainly way too high," said Anthony Cordesman of the Center for Strategic & International Studies in Washington. He criticized the way the estimate was derived and noted that the results were released shortly before the Nov. 7 election.

"This is not analysis, this is politics," Cordesman said.

The work updates an earlier Johns Hopkins study _ that one was released just before the November 2005 presidential election. At the time, the lead researcher, Les Roberts of Hopkins, said the timing was deliberate. Many of the same researchers were involved in the latest estimate.

Speaking of the new study, Burnham said the estimate was much higher than others because it was derived from a house-to-house survey rather than approaches that depend on body counts or media reports.

A private group called Iraqi Body Count, for example, says it has recorded about 44,000 to 49,000 civilian Iraqi deaths. But it notes that those totals are based on media reports, which it says probably overlook "many if not most civilian casualties."

For Burnham's study, researchers gathered data from a sample of 1,849 Iraqi households with a total of 12,801 residents from late May to early July. That sample was used to extrapolate the total figure. The estimate deals with deaths up to July.

The survey participants attributed about 31 percent of violent deaths to coalition forces.

Accurate death tolls have been difficult to obtain ever since the Iraq conflict began in March 2003. When top Iraqi political officials cite death numbers, they often refuse to say where the numbers came from.

The Health Ministry, which tallies civilian deaths, relies on reports from government hospitals and morgues. The Interior Ministry compiles its figures from police stations, while the Defense Ministry reports deaths only among army soldiers and insurgents killed in combat.

The United Nations keeps its own count, based largely on reports from the Baghdad morgue and the Health Ministry.

The major funder of the new study was the Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

___

On the Net:

The Lancet: http://www.thelancet.com

Iraqi Body Count: http://www.iraqbodycount.org/

chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Study: 655,000 Iraqis Died Due to War Reply with quote

Those are sobering figures, and together with this item are events we should all be ashamed happened 'on our watch'.

"Last summer, crimes piled up in Iraq. 3,590 people were killed in July '06; 3009 in August.

In Baghdad alone, the Coroner's Office reported 1,600 bodies arrived at the morgue in June and more than 1,800 bodies in July. 90% of the killings were executions.

It seems impossible to count how many people were tortured in Iraq over the past several months. The chief expert on torture for the United Nations, Manfred Nowak, says bluntly that the current situation is "out of control." The United Nations Assistance Mission for Iraq (UNAMI) released a report in September which said that bodies sent to the capital's morgue "habitually bore signs of severe torture, including acid-induced injuries, burns caused by chemical substances, missing skin, broken bones, backs, hands and legs, missing eyes and teeth and wounds caused by power drills or nails." The Iraqi authorities confirmed that most of the bodies that were found in the past six months bore serious signs of torture."
http://www.commondreams.org/views06/1010-35.htm
jason67
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But dont forget that the people of Iraq are much better off than they were under Saddam, aren't they?
GW and TB say that they are so it must be true.
adam1
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Yes Reply with quote

Yes,
thank goodness we've got rid of that horrible man who was there before. Any luck, and our boys will be home in time for Xmas!

Steven Collins
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least we can safely say that George Bush is a holocaust denier, the Iraq holocaust that is, a direct result of his military's invasion.

Mr Bush reaffirmed past estimates that the death toll was closer to 30,000. "Six hundred thousand or whatever they guessed at... it's not credible," he said.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/10/12/wiraq12.xml

In the past, Mr Bush has put the civilian death toll in Iraq at 30,000, and hours after details of the latest research were published he dismissed JHBSPH's methodology as "pretty well discredited".

"I stand by the figure that a lot of innocent people have lost their life... and that troubles me, and it grieves me," Mr Bush told reporters at the White House.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/6040054.stm

(yeeeeeeeeeee sure it does Georgyboy, you're only troubled & grieved that its not more....yet)

John White
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Despite the protestations of the "official number crunchers" (to be diplomatic):

Going round houses asking "how many have died here since 2003" and then doing calcualtions with the data sounds like a common sense approach to counting the dead to me

Someone dead becuase of no medicine, water or elecetricity, or broken sewers and bad food, has been killed becuase of the invasion just as surely as by a bullett, becuase the conditions of his or her death have arisen as a direct consequence

I gurentee the Iraq's (and the rest of the middle east) will view it like that

jason67
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert fisk was on sky news this morning discussing the issue. He came across really well and its on their web site at the moment. Check it out as its well worth a look.

Unfortunalty I'm really c*ap on the computer and do know how to link something. (if anybody can help the pm me!)
Bicnarok
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard on radio 5 today from an on the ground reporter that an average of 100 people die every day. Most arnĀ“t reported as they are kidnapped, taken away shot and dumped.

considerin this mayhem and the fact that the coalition forces are rediculing and in some cases torturing people in secret CIA prisons.

All this and civil war looms. It was probably better under saddam from the iraqi point of view.

AntiZionistAntiNeocon
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this violence is not without reason. People thinkn that thiis violence ad killing mean that the USA and the UK, and the Israeli masterminds behind the invasion of Iraq are failing. BUT THIS IS ACTUALLY PART OF THE PLAN!!!

The reality is that the splitting of Iraq into 3 parts is well known as being one of the major war aims, since the war was still in the planning stages.

That is why I think there is so much communal violence in Iraq -- the Americans and the British need all this Sunni vs. Shia violence in order to justify splitting the country as they wanted. Therefore, it come as no surprise to find that the instigators and culprits behind the violence are actually the invading forces. This was also reported in the mainstream press, but the full import of what actually happened was overlooked:

http://www.prisonplanet.com/articles/september2005/200905stagedterror. htm

The above article is very important! Simple and classic divide and conquer. Now the British can step in and say, "well, we have to split the country now, for the safety of its citizens" whereas that is what they (the USA and Israel) wanted in the first place.

One of the ultimate aims is the Balkanisation of the Middle East, along the lines of the Bernard Lewis Map:

http://www.daanspeak.com/IranAttackBernardLewisMap.html

and the control of Iraqi (rather, the new Kurdistan, and the new Shia state) oil by Israel through the pipelines laid decades ago:

http://www.vialls.com/subliminalsuggestion/army4a.jpg

Joee Vialls analysis was very astute -- he understood what was happening such a long time ago! Guardian has also picked up on this:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/Iraq/Story/0,2763,940250,00.html

Beware. The plan is old. It seems obvious to me that the British and Americans and Israelis want Iraq split. I think they also want Iran split as per the Bernard Lewis map -- remember the "ethnic armies" ?!?
________
X6

Last edited by AntiZionistAntiNeocon on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Bicnarok
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff.
ian neal
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason67 wrote:

Unfortunalty I'm really c*ap on the computer and do know how to link something. (if anybody can help the pm me!)

Putting a link up couldn't be easier

Go to the page you want to link to, click in the address line, block or highlight the web address and then copy (press ctrl+C).

Then paste the address in the post you are writing where you want the link to appear (Ctrl+V)

If you want to embed a link within text, type the text. For example

HERE IS THE WEB LINK

block/highlight this text and click URL

You will then get

[url]HERE IS THE WEB LINK[/url]

Then after the first URL insert = and then paste the web address

(to illustrate I have removed the first and last brackets)

url=http://www.nineeleven.co.uk/]HERE IS THE WEB LINK[/url

with the brackets in place you then get

HERE IS THE WEB LINK

Hope this helps
jason67
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ian neal wrote:
jason67 wrote:

Putting a link up couldn't be easier

Go to the page you want to link to, click in the address line, block or highlight the web address and then copy (press ctrl+C).

Then paste the address in the post you are writing where you want the link to appear (Ctrl+V)

If you want to embed a link within text, type the text. For example

HERE IS THE WEB LINK

block/highlight this text and click URL

You will then get

[url]HERE IS THE WEB LINK[/url]

Then after the first URL insert = and then paste the web address

(to illustrate I have removed the first and last brackets)

url=http://www.nineeleven.co.uk/]HERE IS THE WEB LINK[/url

with the brackets in place you then get

HERE IS THE WEB LINK

Hope this helps

Wow, I did it! Cheers Ian.
http://news.sky.com/skynews/video/videoplayer/0,,31200-robertfisk_1000  ,00.html
chipmunk stew
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John White wrote:
Despite the protestations of the "official number crunchers" (to be diplomatic):

Going round houses asking "how many have died here since 2003" and then doing calcualtions with the data sounds like a common sense approach to counting the dead to me

Someone dead becuase of no medicine, water or elecetricity, or broken sewers and bad food, has been killed becuase of the invasion just as surely as by a bullett, becuase the conditions of his or her death have arisen as a direct consequence

It's not only "common sense", it's a method that's been time-tested for accuracy. This "cluster" method has been used very effectively to accurately assess the effects of famine and disease, for instance. The study method corrected for over-reporting and most of the reported deaths were matched to a death certificate.

Also, more than 90% of the deaths recorded in the study were caused by violence, which makes the numbers all the more startling. Even if the numbers are off by half, the human tragedy in Iraq is far more monumental even than anyone had supposed.
Andrew Johnson
Mighty Poster
Mighty Poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting commentary there CS and yes it is shocking.

So do you support the Iraq Conflict? Do you not see any link between WMD lies, 9/11 lies and the sanctioned invasion of Iraq by the USA (at least in terms of public if not a stated link between Iraq and Al Q)?

Ask the Tough Questions, Folks!
John White
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chipmunk stew wrote:
John White wrote:

It's not only "common sense", it's a method that's been time-tested for accuracy. This "cluster" method has been used very effectively to accurately assess the effects of famine and disease, for instance. The study method corrected for over-reporting and most of the reported deaths were matched to a death certificate.

Also, more than 90% of the deaths recorded in the study were caused by violence, which makes the numbers all the more startling. Even if the numbers are off by half, the human tragedy in Iraq is far more monumental even than anyone had supposed.

I welcome your support for the importance of this report

chipmunk stew
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Johnson wrote:
That's an interesting commentary there CS and yes it is shocking.

So do you support the Iraq Conflict?

No, and I never have.
Quote:
Do you not see any link between WMD lies, 9/11 lies and the sanctioned invasion of Iraq by the USA (at least in terms of public if not a stated link between Iraq and Al Q)?

I'd be happy to address this in the Critic's Corner if you'd like to start a thread there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Stratehy Of Tension, Fake Terror, 9/11 & 7/7 Truth News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: