FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Convert Google (GVI) files to Video (AVI) files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patrick Brown
9/11 Truth critic
9/11 Truth critic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Convert Google (GVI) files to Video (AVI) files Reply with quote

This works:

Quote:
Picked up this little tidbit from Tavis's Musings. It should be useful for those Wogs out there who want to watch, say, Patrolling (or anything else Google Video has on offer), but don't want to have to use the Google Video Player.

Caveat: You'll need GVP in the beginning for this hack, but you'll be able to watch the resulting files in your media player of choice.

So, on to the hack.

As I mentioned already, you'll need Google Video Player. You'll also need two other pieces of software:

-The DivX codec (if you don't have it already, it's available at Divx.com - if you're still running Windows 95/98, though, you'll probably want to hit DivX Movies, as they're the only place I've been able to find the 9x versions of the DivX codec)
-Virtual Dub. It's a relatively simple program - it essentially functions like a pair of linked VCRs. I'd recommend using version 1.6.11, as it's a stable build. Version 1.6.13 may be slightly faster, but it's still in experimental mode, and potentially unstable.

What To Do:

Step 1: Install the aforementioned pieces of software - Google Video Player, the DivX codec, and Virtual Dub - and download the Google videos you want to convert.

Step 2: Once the videos are downloaded, fire up Virtual Dub. Under the Video and Audio menus, make sure that the Direct stream copy option is selected.

Step 3: Under the Virtual Dub File menu, select "Open", and under Files of Type, select "All Files". Go to your Google Videos folder, open the video file you want to convert, then go back to the File menu and select "Save as AVI" (or, if you want to use the original AVI format, "Save as old-style AVI")

Step 4: Select the folder you want to save the dub to, then hit "OK". Within a few seconds to a few minutes, you should have the Google video copied over to an AVI file that'll play just about anywhere.
http://community.rantmedia.ca/node/3395
Nifty, no?

This is handy for converting files so you can cut them up/edit them in "Windows Movie Maker". I often find it hard to find AVI versions of video and get stuck with Google GVI files that I can't edit.

TimmyG
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm. that sounds pretty good. didn't know you could do that

i usually download for psp/ipod (mp4/3ivx format) so i can transfer stuff to my pda. the only downfall seems to be i can't easily convert these files into a dvd video so i can give dvds to friends etc..

marek
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's even simpler if you're ok with AVI files. Click the Download button, save the gvp file, then open it in a text editor. It's a simple text file. In it, you'll see a line like this:

url:http://vp.video.google.com/videodownload?VERY-LONG-STRING-HERE&doc id=-somenumber

Delete the "url:" part, then use the Find function of the editor to find the test "&docid". Delete everything starting from the ampersand. What's left is:

http://vp.video.google.com/videodownload?VERY-LONG-STRING-HERE

Now you can paste this into any download manager. It will save as a .gvi file, which is an .avi, so just rename it. The only downside is that google's video server does not support resuming in this mode.
Andrew Johnson
Mighty Poster
Mighty Poster

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may find the downloaded AVI's won't play in Windows Media player. Also, they may not load into things like NeroVision Express 2 for conversion to DVD.

I have had to use Virtual Dub to convert them to WMV (AVI with Windows media codec) before that will work.

When saving in Virtual Dub, you need to select the video codec for the format that your video will be saved in (i.e. Windows Media, DiVX etc)

Ask the Tough Questions, Folks!
Mark Gobell
On Gardening Leave
On Gardening Leave

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use this software, which has a free trial period or $20 for a licence. http://www.naevius.com/gvi_converter.htm
chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody got a free way to convert the more common flash videos on Youtube/Google to avi/mpg/wmv format?
wepmob2000
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chek

I use a program called Video Downloader, available here, it works for Youtube at least....

http://eims.daijoubu.org/2006/02/21/grav-google-video-youtube-ginvi-vi deos-now/

The videos work just fine in Windows Media Player, but for some reason seem to play at twice the speed using Nero Showtime?
chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wepmob2000 wrote:
Hi Chek

I use a program called Video Downloader, available here, it works for Youtube at least....

http://eims.daijoubu.org/2006/02/21/grav-google-video-youtube-ginvi-vi deos-now/

The videos work just fine in Windows Media Player, but for some reason seem to play at twice the speed using Nero Showtime?

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try. If I find anything out about the frame rates I'll get back to you (although if you use neroshowtime exclusively, you might want to try AviSynth to halve the frame rate. It uses fairly simple frameserver scripts)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: