FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brian Haw: most inspiring political figure: vote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John White
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Brian Haw: most inspiring political figure: vote Reply with quote

Quote:
http://www.channel4.com/news/microsites/P/politicalawards/vote.html

MOST INSPIRING POLITICAL FIGURE
We give you the chance to have your say on one of the key awards - the 'Most Inspiring Political Figure' of 2007. Before Christmas, Channel 4 viewers were invited to nominate their most inspiring political figure of the year. This list has been whittled down to six nominees by our panel.

BRIAN HAW
09011 27 27 05 or text AWARD HAW
to 83188

mailto:politicalawards@channel4.com?subject=Brian Haw&body=I am voting for Brian Haw as the Channel 4 Political Awards 'Most Inspiring Political Figure of the Year'

To Vote by E-Mail

Why Vote for Brian?

Few people approach politics with the single-minded determination of Brian Haw. Since June 2, 2001, he has been manning his own, one-man vigil in front of parliament, in protest against the Iraq war.

He remains at his spot on the pavement day and night, sleeping a few hours a night under a tarpaulin and washing in a bucket.

He started the vigil to protest against the suffering of Iraqis under the UN sanctions regime, and the air raids mounted by Coalition air forces. Since then, the protest has expanded to take in the War on Terror, and Western military action in Afghanistan and Iraq.

As he puts it himself on his website, "I want to go back to my own kids and look them in the face again knowing that I've done all I can to try and save the children of Iraq and other countries who are dying because of my government's unjust, amoral, fear - and money - driven policies.”

His sprawling, scruffy and frequently noisy protest site raised the hackles of parliamentarians, who even resorted to legislation to get him removed.

In 2005, parliament passed the Serious Organised Crime and Police Act 2005 to prevent unlicensed protests within quarter of a mile of parliament. In March 2006, Brian Haw was arrested. However, he began a legal fight to defend his right to protest.

In July, judges ruled that because of the clumsy drafting of the act, it did not apply to protests that began before 2005. So Mr Haw's protest was exempt, though protests which began after 1 August 2005 were still banned.

Police removed most of his banners and placards, but Mr Haw is still protesting notching up his 2,000th day in November. And he has had the satisfaction of seeing an accurate replica of the full-scale protest displayed in an art exhibition by the artist Marc Wallinger at the Tate Britain gallery - part of which happens to be within the exclusion zone.

Born in Barking in 1949, Mr Haw grew up in Whitstable, Kent. His father was a member of the Reconnaissance Corps, one of the first British solders to enter the concentration camp at Bergen-Belsen. Twenty years later, he committed suicide.

An evangelical Christian, Mr Haw had a short career in the merchant navy before travelling the world's troublespots, visiting Cambodia and Belfast, Berlin and Beijing as an independent missionary. He eventually moved to the UK to work with difficult children, settling in Redditch, where his wife and seven children still live, before taking up his peace vigil in Parliament Square.

It's not just policemen and parliamentarians who have tried to evict him. Sleeping outdoors, he is frequently accosted by thugs and drunks, and has had his nose broken three times.

But despite the best efforts of lawyers, MPs and random assailants, the protest goes on.

CITATION

"I nominate Brian Haw, who has done more than any politician to draw attention to the illegal war against and occupation of Iraq, which event figures at the top of my political agenda as something that must be ended immediately. Thanks to Brian Haw's unswerving dedication to that same end." Karen Sharpe

Learn more about Brian at:

http://www.parliament-square.org.uk/

PS

Fullshortlist:

THE SHORTLIST

AISHAH AZMI
TONY BLAIR
DAVID CAMERON
GENERAL SIR RICHARD DANNATT
BRIAN HAW
ARCHBISHOP OF YORK

No disrespect to Aishah Azmi, but damned if any of those other buggers deserve to win!

Nothing like the chance to "stick it to the man"

spiv
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: And a cameo... Reply with quote

And a cameo appearance on the recent "The Trial of Tony Blair" see
http://www.channel4.com/more4/yoursay/article.jsp?id=71&pageParam=1&le tter=

My comments have been printed on the page 6 Smile

I'll vote for him, great protestor.
John White
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is anyone voting for Brian?
mobypaterson
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted!! Very Happy

come on it doesn't take much and sure as * Tony Bliar doesn't deserve to win! Evil or Very Mad
kinjack
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted!
mobypaterson
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump! Cool
John White
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody! Brian would make a fantastic winner and deserves his chance to pwn the warmongers further
kinjack
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John could you tell me what type of email address does the illusion forum allow? I created a new gmail account yesterday and its not having it! I presume all gmail accounts are banned but if you could let me know what account i can use that would be great?
SilkSpinner
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All done Smile
marky 54
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voted also.
rodin
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done. Takes 10 seconds of your time. No excuse. Do it now!
utopiated
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voted - 3 times.

Call it my own DieBold machine.

--
Linda
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voted Laughing
John White
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff everyone! Smile Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: