FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Campaigning and my rights.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Campaigning
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eurolevel-UK
New Poster
New Poster

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:29 pm    Post subject: Campaigning and my rights. Reply with quote

Hey all

New to these forums, but not new to 9/11 truth campaign and related material. Just a quick post to see if anyone else has had similar problems, or had any ways round this.

I was out in my local town centre today (Reading) giving out the usual leaflets (many thanks to ad.johnson) and putting up posters. After putting up posters over a dis-used phone box, we were interrupted by a security guard from a local shopping arcade. He came over a started giving us grief about it, only for him to read the posters and instantly change his tone and started talking to us about how he had known for years the truth about 9/11. We were just leaving when two police officers approached us, and asked what we were doing, we told them calmly and honestly what was going on. They then requested that we were to immediately take it all down and hand over all other material to them. At first we refused (we had just spent the best part of 2 hours putting it up) they then threatened us with arrest on the spot. We took it all down and handed over a good £30 worth of material (leaflets and posters etc), they took all our details down and issued a stop and search warrant on us to make sure we had none left! Then to top it all off we had to stand in front of CCTV camera for 5 minutes so that they could put our facial details on to some sort of database.

Was just wondering whether anyone has had the problem and knows exactly what to say in that situation, as we had no clue and had to go on what the police where saying. I was then told by one of the officers that we needed a special license to give out leaflets in the town centre which seems very very unrealistic to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
J
kookomula
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest calling or emailing Liberty, they have an advise line and should be able to explain what your rights are in this situation.

I've never heard about a special license to distribute flyers before. I'd be interested in hearing what you find out.

Maybe even consider calling the local police station to speak about what happened to you and have them confirm what you were told by the Officers and have them refer you to the specific Acts.
xmasdale
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very sorry to hear about this.

I have been stopped from flyposting before and believe it is illegal though very common, but I have never heard of any requirement to be registered to distribute leaflets. Yes I reckon Liberty could give you appropriate advice.

I don't think the police have any right to hang on to your material unless they're intending using it as evidence in a prosecution.

Please let us know what Liberty says.
Pikey
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eurolevel-UK,

Welcome here and well done Salute with your 911 truth activism and tremendous contribution to the campaign. Raising awareness and sowing seeds at grassroots level is imo what we should be totally focused on.

This subject of flyposting has been discussed on previous threads and I would suggest that you read the information (when and if I get time I will put them on this thread for you).

You are spot on asking "what are our rights" with respect to handing out leaflets and flyposting.

Can I suggest that a letter is compiled and submitted to the authorities through our Secretary, Annie Machon requesting clarification of these two issues as well as asking for direction on the ways and means that are vailable to us to discuss and the debate the 911 truth issues in public in a FREE and DEMOCRATIC society. The official response can then be pasted here.

IMO as long as you are not offending the public, or doing your 911 activism in the face of the authorities then its unlikely that you will be challenged. The police generally seem to react to the public and not be pro-active unless trhey receive specific instructions from high command! Remember the film "The Matrix" and what Morpheus says to Neo!

Regarding flyposting I would advise that you do it at times that the act is unlikely to catch anyones attention.

Have you checked out this website yet?:-

www.911action.org

Once 911 truth activism becomes widespread in the UK. I predict that activists will no longer be challenged.

By the way the material that the police took off you should be returned to you. Dont be intimidated or put off by the fear card.

"We will peace for truth on the beaches, on the streets,etc.............we shall never surrender our freedom of speech"

Truth, peace, and justice

Peace, truth, respect and a Mason free society

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RaH-lGafwtE#
www.wholetruthcoalition.org
www.truthforum.co.uk
www.checktheevidence.com
www.newhorizonsstannes.com
www.tpuc.org
www.cpexposed.com
www.thebcgroup.org.uk
www.fmotl.com
Leiff
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leafletting in Nottingham town centre now illegal

http://www.nineeleven.co.uk/board/viewtopic.php?t=4596&highlight=notti ngham+leafleting

Eurolevel-UK
New Poster
New Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a long conversation with our local police station, they have agreed that the confiscation of our items was unnecessary and have promised to return them to my address *Crossed fingers* I haven't been able to get through to liberty as the advise line seems really busy, so if someone could help us out on that one it would be great Smile The thing I am most concerned about is this CCTV database where are pictures are being held, sort of creeps me out. Also they said to us that these pictures can be used at any time to cross reference with any live footage. We were also warned that if we were caught doing it again we would be arrested and charged with a hand full of offences :S

We now have legal advice secured if something ever happens to us, but it would be quite nice to know your rights on the spot so you are able to quote them to a police officer or member of authority

Thanks for the great replies, really does inspire my confidence in the truth movement.

J
paul wright

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, well done with your effort, and am glad to hear you're getting your stuff back.
This seems to be a spreading problem, and Leeds has some areas where you have to pay for a licence to leaflet, and if there's a few of you wanting to do it, the cost gets absurdly high. Suggest you look on the Reading council website under litter to see if such local regulations apply
See here

Busker
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Campaigning and my rights. Reply with quote

Eurolevel-UK wrote:
We were just leaving when two police officers approached us, and asked what we were doing, we told them calmly and honestly what was going on. They then requested that we were to immediately take it all down and hand over all other material to them.

If you encounter this again, ask the Police Officers what Act and section of the Act they are enforcing by confiscating remaining materials from your posession.

If they cannot tell you, they are bluffing. You can either tell them the "ways and means act" does not apply, or tell them to call for supervision. Also while you are waiting, ask for their "names and collar numbers", be specific about that language in quotes. Also ask to see their Warrant cards and record the information on them. Particularly if they are not wearing their hats or they have failed to identify themselves properly.

You may (or may not) notice a change in attitude but none of the above is an unreasonable request if made, firmly but politely. Failure to supply any of the information above should be recorded on paper in their prescence and get anyone with you to counter-sign to that effect.

It's sad but most coppers on the beat are just following orders and if you challenge them, reminding you will sue them personally and their chief constable, will come to an accommodation if you allow them a way out of the situation (like offering to leave the area) with some sort of pride.

I would not personally agree to pose in front of any CCTV cameras. If you find you are backed into a corner where you cannot get out of it, before you agree to do so, ask for the operator details of the camera, the organisation that holds the recordings and who you should approach under the Data Protection Acts to get copies of the footage.
Eurolevel-UK
New Poster
New Poster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the sounds of it I think a good idea would be for someone to produce an A4/A5 document that can be printed off by all the campaigners stating there exact rights in situations where they have been approached by police or authority. Perhaps with a check list of things to ask police officers and how to respond to there questions. and perhaps what you can and can't refuse.

This can then be distributed among members.

I now also have an extremely experienced solicitor behind us, so if you want some more details on legal aid when facing arrest etc in the Berkshire/Oxfordshire area just drop me a PM.

Cheers
J
paul wright

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW I've looked over the Reading website and there appears to be no local ordnance against flyering
The cops in this instance were full of nonsense

karlos
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

please lets have some common sense about this.
Do not hand out flyers in the street. 99% of them will be thrown in the bin and not read.
Do post leaflets door to door through peoples letterboxes.
At home 99% of people will read them.

Also when you make leaflets keep them simple and concise.
Include web links to loose change and 911weknow.com as well as this messageboard.

Stick to the main message
911 was a big insurance fraud, gold bullion robbery, building riddled with asbestos, 18 highjackers none of them bought a ticket so how did they get on the planes, no cctv at any airport, 7 highjackers still alive,
7/7 no cctv, no eyewitnesses, bus was diverted for no reason,

but my main point is door to door leafletting works flyers in the street dont
and lets all agree one united message and one united cause for all of us if we coordinate our efforts we will spread the message

Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stelios69 wrote:
please lets have some common sense about this.
Do not hand out flyers in the street. 99% of them will be thrown in the bin and not read.
Do post leaflets door to door through peoples letterboxes.
At home 99% of people will read them.

I've done a lot of leafletting on the streets of London, mainly in strategic areas for advertising meetings. I have never been stopped by police in this activity. I have had interesting conversations with certain people who take leaflets and have seen people I've leafletted turn up to subsequent meetings.

I take your point, Stelios, about leaflets through letterboxes being more likely to be read, but sometimes, particularly in central London, you want to get through to people who have come from all over the place, so you have no idea where to find their letterboxes. This must apply also to the centres of other cities.

Glad you're now getting somewhere with good legal advice, Eurolevel. I like the idea of producing a printed document about our rights when challenged. Could you perhaps start a first draft of this, perhaps by using the legal advice you're now being given? The idea might appeal to your solicitor.

If you post a rough draft on here, I bet lots of people will come up with helpful ideas to improve or enlarge it.

Noel
Andrew Johnson
Mighty Poster
Mighty Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to Eurolevel for his tremendous efforts.

Perhaps you could contact the local media to tell them of your experiences - they may not print or publish anything, but at least you are making them aware.

As regards rights, then there are littering laws they could probably throw at you and some local councils, as mentioned above, seem to have started introducing leafletting licences. Apparently, the way round this might be to SELL your leaflets for 1 or 2 pence each (or more). I know this sounds daft, but you aren't then giving them away (although you probably then technically need a peddler's licence!!)

Not sure about the CCTV issue. I believe police are now within their rights to do this "on suspicion" or on committing an "offence" (flyposting).

As regards the laminated (plastic) sheets, I have put these at traffic lights - out of town and one of them lasted several months before it disappeared. Put them where people aren't goona reach out and take them down easily.

Ask the Tough Questions, Folks!
karlos
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If we hand out leaflets at shopping centres or other locations it could be argued that we need permission of the owner of these sites and in certain areas local councils have bylaws preventing flyering and flypostering.

I commend everyone who is making the effort to spread the word.

However, in my experience, door to door leafletting is cheaper and gets read by more people. I do realsie it takes more effort by it is also more healthy than jogging!!

I agree with xmasdale that we do have the right to give out leaflets but problem is we are essentially exposing a government fraud and this might make our campaigners targets for harrassment. Door to door leaflets are more clinical as we can effectively do it anonymously and without harrasment. If anyone wants to get together and start regularly dropping leaflets please get in touch with me. Imagine if we cover the whole of London with flyers how much we could achieve.

I agree with xmasdale about central london where standing in one spot leaflets can be handed out but the volunteer is potentially exposing themself to harrasment. Oxford street is very strict on flyers being handed out, tube stations less so but technically many areas are private land. Dont get me wrong i am not suggesting we walk door to door in exmoor or the new forest.
Densely populated areas with lots of flats/houses.
Exactly like they do at eclection time.

Please Eurolevel could you post a scan of the leaflet in question?

Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The UK government has suggested legislation against spam door to door mail. But at the moment there is no law against it. Government legislation would be a huge erosion of our civil liberties.

By the way i dont want to suggest the obvious, but every day, 99.9% of my email is junk.
Does anyone know of a method.
And I dont mean to block it.

Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eurolevel-UK wrote:-

Quote:
We now have legal advice secured if something ever happens to us, but it would be quite nice to know your rights on the spot so you are able to quote them to a police officer or member of authority

You could recite Article 19 of the United Nations Declaration of Human rights to them! Laughing

www.truthforum.co.uk
www.checktheevidence.com
www.tpuc.org
www.cpexposed.com
www.thebcgroup.org.uk
www.fmotl.com
Pikey
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stelios9 states:-

Quote:
Door to door leaflets are more clinical as we can effectively do it anonymously and without harrasment. If anyone wants to get together and start regularly dropping leaflets please get in touch with me. Imagine if we cover the whole of London with flyers how much we could achieve

How about door to door leafleting promoting a local 911 truth event like a showing of Looose Change at a local venue FREE with refreshments? You could then ask for donations following the presentation as well as providing the dvds/book, etc.

www.truthforum.co.uk
www.checktheevidence.com
www.tpuc.org
www.cpexposed.com
www.thebcgroup.org.uk
www.fmotl.com
Pikey
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll find article 19 here:-

http://www.quotesandsayings.com/hrights.htm

and the BLIAR administration is anti this declaration!

www.truthforum.co.uk
www.checktheevidence.com
www.tpuc.org
www.cpexposed.com
www.thebcgroup.org.uk
www.fmotl.com
karlos
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pikey wrote:
Stelios9 states:-

Quote:
Door to door leaflets are more clinical as we can effectively do it anonymously and without harrasment. If anyone wants to get together and start regularly dropping leaflets please get in touch with me. Imagine if we cover the whole of London with flyers how much we could achieve

How about door to door leafleting promoting a local 911 truth event like a showing of Looose Change at a local venue FREE with refreshments? You could then ask for donations following the presentation as well as providing the dvds/book, etc.

i like this but to ACTIVELY SOLICIT donations we need to register as a CHARITABLE organisation or a political party. At the moment the UK 911 and 7/7 truth movement is not incorporated as a non profit making or charitable organisation. (TO MY KNOWLEDGE)
We must do this and then raise funds to produce more leaflets and dvds and spread the word FURTHER AND FASTER.
Somebody please advise what the rules are on donations.

Last edited by karlos on Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
karlos
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

911 and 7/7 truthers - we are few in number and our efforts must be targeted to ensure maximum affect.
So why waste?
Door to door leaflets get read by a higher percentage
and in ones own house one is more likely to check out something on the web like this forum for example
i believe street canvassing should be in the form of opinion pollsters asking questions engaging with people and finally converting them or opening them up
i see myself as a jehovah's witness
i sincerely believe that is the way we need to behave
actively engaging and converting people
because for sure once they open their eyes they come onboard

and dvds
i agree we need to duplicate as many copies as possible. But only the best ones in my opinion 911mysteries and loose change2
also ludicrous diversion possibly terrorstorm
but dont just give them out to joe public
give them to local journalists, councillors, political candidates, student union people, and small businessmen etc
always stick some links on all the leaflets so the reader will do his own research just like you and me did
i saw a video on youtube and that got me hooked

Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread Eurolevel-UK and well done for your campaigning. Sorry to hear you got your collar felt, I too am unaware of the the bounderies which we must work within to get the message out. This is a fight for freedom and at least if we find out what state our laws are in right now we know where to hold the line.

As for leafleting, I do this in London but I keep on the move as much as possible, it seems that if you stand still you are easy to ignore and get harrassed. I am aware of the new "laws" against leafleting popping up in city and urban centres but funny enough they dont seem to apply to these Free Pappers like the London Lite and Murdochs' The London Paper which are thrown around the place by crazy cheap labour minions who know not what they do. I still give them an earful though.

Does anyone have the knowledge and tools to create a shockwave file that can be sent via bluetooth? I have mine on all the time and when I am on bus, train or standing I send anyone who has their bluetooth on a picture stating the arguement but a more funky one would be good, you never know it could go viral if it hits the spot. Most people say yes to recieving what i send.

Anyway good luck and keep us posted as this affects us all, well done.

Al

Stephen
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Campaigning and my rights. Reply with quote

Eurolevel-UK wrote:
Hey all

New to these forums, but not new to 9/11 truth campaign and related material. Just a quick post to see if anyone else has had similar problems, or had any ways round this.

I was out in my local town centre today (Reading) giving out the usual leaflets (many thanks to ad.johnson) and putting up posters. After putting up posters over a dis-used phone box, we were interrupted by a security guard from a local shopping arcade. He came over a started giving us grief about it, only for him to read the posters and instantly change his tone and started talking to us about how he had known for years the truth about 9/11. We were just leaving when two police officers approached us, and asked what we were doing, we told them calmly and honestly what was going on. They then requested that we were to immediately take it all down and hand over all other material to them. At first we refused (we had just spent the best part of 2 hours putting it up) they then threatened us with arrest on the spot. We took it all down and handed over a good £30 worth of material (leaflets and posters etc), they took all our details down and issued a stop and search warrant on us to make sure we had none left! Then to top it all off we had to stand in front of CCTV camera for 5 minutes so that they could put our facial details on to some sort of database.

Was just wondering whether anyone has had the problem and knows exactly what to say in that situation, as we had no clue and had to go on what the police where saying. I was then told by one of the officers that we needed a special license to give out leaflets in the town centre which seems very very unrealistic to me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
J

I would of peacefully prevented the police from taken down the flyers and stop them from taken my 9-11 truth Videos etc, I would of put my hand on his to make a piont.
Busker
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Campaigning and my rights. Reply with quote

stephen wrote:
I would of put my hand on his to make a piont.

I wouldn't recommend that. Once there is physical contact it is the easiest thing in the world to be facing an Assault (Police) charge.

I still think the best approach to the police is to keep it polite, ask questions about the authority they are enforcing, (Acts and Sections of Acts).

Fly posting, as opposed to handing out leaflets, should be avoided in my book. There's nothing worse than seeing a wall covered regardless of the event or cause.

One thing I liked was the deception dollar. It was near enough to the original for people to take it and stuff in their pocket. I wonder if people looked at it again just before washing or dry cleaning.

Or maybe something business card size with a list of web addresses on would work?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Campaigning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: