FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mobile phone calls from planes - impossible!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Stratehy Of Tension, Fake Terror, 9/11 & 7/7 Truth News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marndin
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Mobile phone calls from planes - impossible! Reply with quote

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6517555.stm

Check out this current link.

Martin
Zabooka
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Phone calls from planes...Yeah right!! Reply with quote

marndin wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6517555.stm

Everest mobile call effort begins

Briton Rod Baber aims to make calls and send texts from Everest

A British climber has embarked on an attempt to make the world's highest phone call.

Rod Baber plans to climb Everest and then establish a world record by making a mobile call from the summit.

Weather permitting, the attempt to reach the peak of Everest is scheduled to take place in late May.

"There's no reason why it should not work," said Mr Baber who already holds a world record for reaching the highest point of every European nation.

Peak performance

Making a phone call from the summit of Everest has become possible thanks to a mobile base station installed in China that has line of sight to the north side of the mountain.

Mr Baber was confident that the attempt on the world record would work because the phone he will use has been tested in very low temperatures and the final climb will only happen if weather conditions are good.

The downside is that staying in contact with this base station demands that climbers follow the north ridge to the top - generally regarded as the toughest route.

Mr Baber is travelling in an expedition organised and run by experienced mountain climbing group HimEx which, says Mr Baber, has one of the best records of getting climbers to the top of the mountain.

An experienced climber Mr Baber also holds the world record for climbing more of the world's highest points than any one else. However, all his climbing has been done on peaks under 7,000 metres high.

He set off for Kathmandu on 30 March and will spend the next few weeks getting his body used to living at high altitude.

Speaking to the BBC News website Mr Baber said he had been in training for the Everest climb for months.

"I've been running 8-10 miles a day and on the days I'm not doing that I'm doing weights and spending time on a cross-training machine," he said.

To help his body cope with high altitude Mr Baber has also had to eat a lot.

"I've put on just over two stone and increased my body-mass-index by 24%," he said.

The reason for putting on so much weight is simply to help survive in the hostile conditions in the Himalayas.

"Above 7000 metres it does not matter how much rest you have, your body just starts to break down and your organs start slowing down," said Mr Baber. "The way you compensate for that is just by putting on as much weight as you can."

Life above 8,000 metres is harsh on the human body

"Although," he added, "eating a lot, running a lot and doing weights is a strange combination."

Mr Baber is sponsored by Motorola who has provided the phone he will use to make the call and send a text message from the summit.

The final push for the summit usually takes 6-8 days, weather permitting, and is due to start in late May.

As well as preparing himself for life at high altitude, the weeks preceding the push for the summit will be used to prepare the route to the top and to stock the camps where climbers will shelter overnight.

Mr Baber will not spend long on the top of Everest, perhaps only 15 minutes, largely because conditions at that altitude (8,848m, 29,028ft) are so harsh.

Taking a phone that will help keep him in touch with family and friends would help in the attempt to climb the mountain, he said.

"It does not matter how fit you are," said Mr Baber, "the key reason to success is 80% psychological. Having someone you can speak to on the other end of the telephone can overturn those invisible obstacles."
marky 54
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im just not getting this one at all, everest is how high? the planes on 9/11 were how high? making calls on 9/11 from aeroplanes may of been hard or impossible but i dont see how this story proves anything in relation to 9/11 unless the height of each plane was know and if they were higher than everest?
Zabooka
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you there marky. Another example of what I believe to be forum space wasted.
bigyin
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question has always intrigued me. Lets face it there must be zillions of people been on planes over the years who have tried using there phones at high altitude. Surely somebody can tell us if it works or not. How can it be so difficult to find out whether or not it works.

Either it does or it doesn't... what's the answer.
Zabooka
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I can not find a reference to the research done by that American Professor on how mobile phones across many networks stopped working at given altitudes. He is cited in Loose Change. However, one must realise, that they are also talking about "air phones" on planes. So people should stop saying you can't use mobiles on phones, if they have not addressed the issue of "yes but they used the air phones".
Snowygrouch
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its nothing to do with everest or networks.

As the article says its only possible because a very high relay station in China happens to cover that area.

Unless you are flying over/next to mountains with mobile masts on you cannot reliably make co-herent mobile calls at high altitudes.

Air-phones are totally different, they route the calles through the planes satellite systems which is nothing to do with moile phone networks. The new technology to make mobiles work at altitude uses this system to route the mobile calls through the planes satellite systems.

C.

President Eisenhower 1961
Micpsi
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zabooka wrote:
Okay, I can not find a reference to the research done by that American Professor on how mobile phones across many networks stopped working at given altitudes. He is cited in Loose Change. However, one must realise, that they are also talking about "air phones" on planes. So people should stop saying you can't use mobiles on phones, if they have not addressed the issue of "yes but they used the air phones".

I believe you are referring to the Canadian, Professor A.K. Dewdney, and his research paper at: http://911research.wtc7.net/planes/analysis/cellexp.html#ref1
Zabooka
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Micpsi and also SnowyGrouch for clarification!

*Thumbs Up@SnowyGrouch*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Stratehy Of Tension, Fake Terror, 9/11 & 7/7 Truth News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: