FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MoD boffins in Cornwall GPS-jamming trials

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Articles
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: MoD boffins in Cornwall GPS-jamming trials Reply with quote

MoD boffins in Cornwall GPS-jamming trials
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/06/06/mod_gps_jamming_trial_cornwall  /print.html
By Lewis Page
Published Wednesday 6th June 2007 10:42 GMT
UK gov defence boffins will carry out GPS-jamming trials in Cornwall today and tomorrow.

Jamming transmissions will be made at the Portreath MoD site, a remote radar station operated by the RAF's Air Surveillance and Control Systems Force Command (http://www.raf.mod.uk/rafboulmer/aboutus/asacsfc.cfm). The old airfield was once used (low down on page) (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm200607/cmhansrd/cm070201/t ext/70201w0020.htm) as an outstation of the former Chemical Defence Establishment, headquartered at Porton Down.

Ministry of Defence (MoD) scientific operations are nowadays consolidated under the Defence Science and Technology Laboratory (DSTL) (http://www.dstl.gov.uk/about_us/index.php), and it's these boffins who will carry out the tests this week.

According to a BBC report (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cornwall/6719639.stm), effects on GPS receivers can be expected up to 11km from Portreath, which would include the local towns Camborne and Redruth. Apparently, local emergency and rescue services have been warned, and arrangements are in place to cancel the trials if necessary.

When contacted by the Reg, however, DSTL was quick to downplay the local impact, saying effects would be limited to the airfield itself and that every effort had been made to minimise impact on local GPS coverage. Trials have already been carried out at Sennybridge Training Area in Wales, according to DSTL, and more are planned for Lincolnshire (3 and 4 July and 31 August) and Buchan, Scotland (17 August).

"The tests will not have an effect on mobile phones or telecommunications devices and all local services including aircraft and marine users have been made aware," according to an MoD release.

"The trials will start on 7 June and will continue until 8 June at the very latest. They will take place for up to eight hours a day – from 0900 hours until 17.00 BST."

Details of the trials were "restricted", but the government spokesperson was able to reveal that the trials were intended to research "vulnerabilities in a range of military applications" of satellite navigation.

Apparently, the tests will involve "setting up transmitters near equipment in order to discover the effects". DSTL was unwilling to confirm which equipment might be investigated (UK forces use GPS in a wide range of kit, including various guided weapons and drones as well as more ordinary navigational apps). However, the boffins' media contact did confirm that "this is a military trial".

The use of the term "vulnerabilities" might imply more subtle attacks than merely preventing military receivers in missiles, aircraft, or whatever from functioning. Quite apart from simply jamming GPS, it's also possible to spoof it - to transmit synthesised satellite signals which blot out the real ones and cause a nearby GPS receiver to give a false location of the spoofer's choice (more info here (http://www.spartamatrix.com/industry-articles-gps.php) for those interested).

Disappointingly, DSTL's spokesperson at MoD PR denied they were experimenting with any such techniques - for all that it seems an obvious thing for tech-savvy enemies to attempt. The MoD also implied that it had no interest in meddling with adversaries' satnav, only in protecting that used by UK forces.

However, the Notice to Airmen (NOTAM) safety warning issued to cover the trials conflicts with the press information. It reads:

"GPS SIGNAL JAMMING TRIALS. JAMMER LOCATED WITHIN 0.5 [nautical miles] OF 5016N 00516W (PORTREATH, CORNWALL). ACTIVITY MAY AFFECT AIRCRAFT WITHIN 6NM RADIUS FLYING BELOW FL300 [30,000 feet] ... DURING TRIAL PERIODS, GPS RECEIVERS MAY SUFFER INTERMITTENT/TOTAL FAILURE, OR GIVE INCORRECT POSITION INFO ..."

Which suggests that the Beeb's 11km radius of effect is actually correct - and further, that spoofing tests may indeed be on the agenda, which restores some faith in the competence of UK defence boffinry.

That seems a lot more believable to the Reg military-matters desk. Any satnav-using readers near Portreath who notice interesting effects over the next couple of days can contact us via the link at the top of the page.

www.actorsandartistsfor911truth.org
www.mediafor911truth.org
www.pilotsfor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
www.radio4all.net/index.php/contributor/2149
http://utangente.free.fr/2003/media2003.pdf
"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung
https://37.220.108.147/members/www.bilderberg.org/phpBB2/
spiv
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Coming to get me.. Reply with quote

Gawd, they're coming to get me, ha-ha, ho-ho, they're coming to get me!!

(You yungsters won't remember that one!!) Wink
blackcat
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that should be "They're coming to take me away ha ha ho ho he he - to the funny farm where life is beautiful all the time. I even remember the rest. Sad!! Shocked
spiv
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:02 pm    Post subject: Ageism... Reply with quote

Thank you Blackcat, clearly you're no 'spring chicken' as well!!! Your memory is less feeble than mine though. Laughing
Snowygrouch
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like some sort of cover story for something to me....

GPS is controlled by the military anyway so I`m not sure why they would bother developing a GPS jamming device.

The flight data recorder expert I occasionally call on for advice assures me that "they can make it look like you are whereever they want it to appear you are".

My money says its a B***S** cover for eithe what Tony suggests or something entirely different.

C.

President Eisenhower 1961
chek
Mega Poster
Mega Poster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowygrouch wrote:
Sounds like some sort of cover story for something to me....

GPS is controlled by the military anyway so I`m not sure why they would bother developing a GPS jamming device.

The flight data recorder expert I occasionally call on for advice assures me that "they can make it look like you are whereever they want it to appear you are".

My money says its a B***S** cover for eithe what Tony suggests or something entirely different.

C.

The only qualifier I would add SG is that the current GPS system is 'controlled by the U.S. military'.

At a guess, it might be connected to research for the independent European Galileo GPS system

It's them or us.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> Articles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: