FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ditching Microsoft becoming a virus....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conspiracy analyst
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Ditching Microsoft becoming a virus.... Reply with quote

When will the administrators ask for the same in the UK?
Ditching Microsoft in schools, colleges and hospitals?

Labour is in bed with the Yanks on everything....

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/france_internet_police
Quote:

PARIS (AFP) - The French paramilitary police force said Wednesday it is ditching Microsoft for the free Linux operating system, becoming one of the biggest administrations in the world to make the break.
ADVERTISEMENT

The move completes the gendarmerie's severance from Microsoft which began in 2005 when it moved to open sourcing for office applications such as word processing. It switched to open source Internet browsers in 2006.

Linux is an open-source operating system, which used to be the reserve of computer geeks but is now an easy-to-use system aimed at average users.

The gendarmerie's 70,000 desktops currently use Microsoft's Windows XP operating system. But these will progressively change over to the Linux system distributed by Ubuntu, explained Colonel Nicolas Geraud, deputy director of the gendarmerie's IT department.

"We will introduce Linux every time we have to replace a desktop computer," he said, "so this year we expect to change 5,000-8,000 to Ubuntu and then 12,000-15,000 over the next four years so that every desktop uses the Linux operating system by 2013-2014."

There are three reasons behind the move, Geraud said at the Solution Linux 2008 conference here. The first is to diversify suppliers and reduce the force's reliance on one company, the second is to give the gendarmerie mastery of the operating system and the third is cost, he said.

He also added that "the Linux interface is ahead of other operating systems currently on the market for professional use."

Vista, for example, Microsoft's latest operating system, is being spurned by consumers who cite "concerns about its cost, resource requirements, and incompatibility with their existing applications," according to InformationWeek.com.

Geraud explained that the move to an open source operating system was logical after the police switched in 2005 to open sourcing for its office applications and in 2006 for its Internet browsers and its email.

The move away from licenced products is saving the gendarmerie about seven million euros (10.3 million dollars) a year for all its PCs.

"In 2004 we had to buy 13,000 licences for office suites for our PCs," he said, "but in the three years since then we've only had to buy a total of 27 licences."

In 2005 the gendarmerie switched from Microsoft Office to OpenOffice -- a collection of applications such as a word processor, spreadsheet, and presentation programme similar to Microsoft Powerpoint, all of which can be downloaded free.

A year later it abandoned Mircosoft's Internet Explorer for the Mozilla Foundation's browser Firefox and its email client Thunderbird.

"When we made that choice Firefox represented about 3.0 percent of Internet browsers and it's about 20 to 25 percent now which confirms our choice," Geraud said.

The gendarmerie with its 100,000 employees is the biggest administration to shift to open sourcing for its operating system, but it is not the first in France. That honour belongs to the National Assembly which adopted Ubuntu for its 1,200 PCs in 2007.

Although the gendarmerie is ahead of the market the market is catching up.

Dell, for example, this week started offering Ubuntu Linux 7.10 on its XPS 1330 laptops in France, Germany, Spain and Britain, while US customers will be able to order the machines within the next week or so, according to the company's website.
suraci
Minor Poster
Minor Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windows does not contain Spyware, Windows IS spyware. A window acts two ways, it lets you see out but also others see in. Windows OS is consistently so full of backdoor security holes that they must be there by design, and they are are. Microsoft is installed on most of the computers in this world for a reason, one that emanates from Israel where the latest version was developed.

Israel leads the world in IT for a reason. Who controls the computers of the world controls the flow of information. 911 was an IT attack as much as a physical hijacking of airliners (as you all know), it simply could not have happened without Mossad undermining the IT infrastructure.

If Linux or any other alternative to Windows nonsense OS ever really looks like taking over, the Zio fascists will buy it out and push their pet politicians around the world to make it illegal to have any OS but Microsoft, under terror laws. Those who try to break away will go on a list of possible terrorists, to be dealt with "one day".
Alulim
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermate911
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paramilitaries? Hmm. How about more enlightened organisations - like this 9/11 one, for instance?

'Microsoft just sells you windows; Linux gives you the whole house.'

To put it in yank-speak - it's a no-brainer!

www.ubuntu.com - Linux with humanity at heart - a great philosophy...

Dell now sell Ubuntu laptops; Toshiba is considering same - most modern boxes will load it with very few problems unless you have very specific and curious hardware - hey, even way out boxes like Alienware with nVidia SLI will run it!

"Timely Demise to All Oppressors - at their Convenience!" - 'Interesting Times', Terry Pratchett
landless peasant
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Linux for 3 years and never looked back, true freedom software. Plus if you really need a windows app you can run it in Wine or crossover. Currently using OpenSuse 10.3 with KDE.

http://distrowatch.com/ download an .iso and off you go! Also many distros can run straight from the cd/dvd without installing. Linux has no problems dual booting with windows.
John White
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jfk wrote:
Quote:
911 was an IT attack as much as a physical hijacking of airliners (as you all know)

some of us do not think that airliners were physically hijacked!

JFK If you persist in spamming NPT outside of Truth controversies I will delete your posts in other areas when I come across them: and if you persist in making me work to do because you cant handle our simple site rules, you run the risk of having your account deleted: so dont try my patience

Thats a warning

And if anyone else runs across NPT spam (or critic spam) out of place on the site pm me or another mod with a link so we can deal with it

uselesseater

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, can anyone list some software for it?

For example,

Something instead of photoshop, dreamweaver, video editor?

www.myspace.com/truthleeds
blackcat
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Sounds good, can anyone list some software for it?

With Ubuntu you get those kind of packages for free as well as a full "Office" type suite of Word Processor, Spreadsheet and Database. Go to http://www.ubuntu.com/ for info. It really is an exciting project and has been funded to the tune of millions of dollars by philanthropists to ensure there is a team of developers and a lot of ongoing on-line support. There is a thriving community - just follow the links. Get Ubuntu or download it at this link http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu . Ubuntu forums are at this link http://ubuntuforums.org/ and there is one for absolute beginners.

I believe "Gimp" is the Photoshop "equivalent" in Linux but there will doubtless be others. A problem with Linux is that there are too many applications not too few!!

The following is an extract from "The Linux Ububtu Bible" by William Von Hagen.

Quote:
Ubuntu means “humanity to others.” For the people who use and bring you Ubuntu Linux, this is not just a name with touchy-feely overtones. The special sauce in Ubuntu is a social and business commitment to Ubuntu users everywhere. Ubuntu releases occur regularly, every six months, and support and updates for any Ubuntu release are available for a minimum of eighteen months after that. More about that it in the first chapter, where you’ll read more about Ubuntu, its philosophy, its community, and why the sum of those makes Ubuntu different than any other Linux distribution.
In a nutshell, Ubuntu is a Linux distribution for people. While reading this book, you’ll see that there are plenty of excellent technical reasons for using Ubuntu, even if you’re a hard-core Linux propeller head. However, that’s not the point of Ubuntu—Ubuntu is for people who want to use their computers and need a solid software foundation for doing so. Whether your focus is on writing code or surfing the Web, sending and receiving electronic mail, working with your digital photographs, watching DVDs, listening to music, and so on, Ubuntu offers the software that you need to do what you want to do.

"The conflict between corporations and activists is that of narcolepsy versus remembrance. The corporations have money, power and influence. Our sole influence is public outrage. Extract from "Cloud Atlas (page 125) by David Mitchell.
landless peasant
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typed apps for Linux in to google
http://www.linux.org/apps/

Mostly with a modern distro There is a click and install package manager, as long as your internet is running. Ubuntu has one for sure, OpenSuse also and many others. PClinuxOS and Ubuntu are very easy for a first timer. No real dreamweaver alt, I run it in Wine which makes it possible to run windows apps. Linux is very flexible
simplesimon
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using various GNU/Linux distros for about 3 years, and only rarely boot Windoze these days.

I sometimes use Ubuntu, as I want to stay familiar with what is becoming the favourite, and it's Debian based. Most of the time I use OpenSUSE 10.2, as 10.3 has problems with SATA drives with the SIS chipset in my desktop. It runs fine on my IBM T40.

One reason I favour OpenSUSE is that the procedure for encrypting the root filesystem is reasonably straightforward, and worked first time for me. This is a major step-up security wise from just encrypting your data, at least in regard to one attack method, as the crypto boffins say.

The only application I might use but can't get is Shockwave. I could install Wine or Crossover, but don't miss Shockwave that much.

This may appeal to some of you, “The Cathedral and the Bazaar”
http://catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/cathedral-bazaar/index. html#catbmain

But if it doesn't appeal, please don't let it put you off. You don't need to be a geek or understand the philosophy to use it for all your computing needs. You can have a dual boot system, and choose between Windows and Linux at power up.

If you are even slightly PC savvy, I highly recommend trying it out. Back up your data first though, and check the backup by restoring to a new folder before doing anything to your hard disk. (Sorry if this is egg sucking...).

It's true that the more technophile you are, the more you'll get out of it, but I think it can be easier to use than Windows. To be specific, the GUI – (Graphical User Interface) that comes with Ubuntu by default (“Gnome”) is beautifully simple, closer to Mac then WinXP. I usually use KDE myself. Actually there are dozens available. As with most things Linux, the choice can seem overwhelming. But you can ignore that and just use the default options. Don't think it's “too complicated” - most people can figure out how to use it in minutes, and without reading the manual. You can forget about viruses, for all practical purposes.

Shameless commercial plug:

One of the ways I scratch a living these days is maintaining and setting up PCs. I'm not formally trained or certified in this, (my professional background is mostly technical and relevant though) but sufficiently knowledgable and experienced to get paid. I try to promote Linux and discount my rates if I persuade a client to have it installed instead of or as well as Windows. If any here are not confident in their ability to install Linux, but interested in trying it out, (and live in London) please consider using my services!

PM me with your phone number if you'd like to discuss the possibilities or find out more. I also fix Windows problems and do clean installs, networking problems, non-commercial data recovery, and carry out upgrades.

Simon
festival of snickers
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

will linux play a dvd? didnt work for me
landless peasant
Moderate Poster
Moderate Poster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

festival of snickers wrote:
will linux play a dvd? didnt work for me

Do you have libdvdcss2 and win32 codecs installed,
For Ubuntu in a konsole window type:

sudo apt-get install w32codecs libdvdcss2

It seems like you can't use the Ubuntu package manager to do this.
I don't use Ubuntu or any debian based linux so I'm not a hundred percent sure.

For redhat based Linux (OpenSuse for instance) I tend to download .rpm files from http://rpm.pbone.net/ You may have to resolve some dependences which can be a pain for a new user. I kinda like to have the files backed up in case I don't have net access. You should be able to find software repositories for all major distros, it should resolve the dependences for you.
Why isn't libdvdcss2 and win32 codecs bundled with your distro when you install it? The law...
Arjen
New Poster
New Poster

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: This is going on all over Europe Reply with quote

Hi All,

Changing from proprietary US software vendors to Free/Opensource software and open standards is happening all over Europe and all over the world. The Dutch government has adopted a opensource-when-equivalent policy and Norway, France and Germany are adopting comparable policies. Many Asian and most Latin American countries are also making these steps as is Russia. Europe can save about 70 billion Euro's per year if it were to switch over to opensource wholesale. That's 1-2 million new well paid jobs.

It's not just about cost or spy-ware at the individual level. As a country (say Venezuela) you do not want to run your ministry of defense on Windows servers and desktops. They may just fail at an important moment due to an 'automated update'. For this reason China is switching wholesale to their ow flavor of Linux called 'Redflag'

I would suggest that people in he 911 truth movement familiarize themselves with some of these issues. This is about who controls the tools you use to share information. You or some convicted monopolist US corporation.

Start here for some of the theory:
http://www.fsfeurope.org/documents/freesoftware.en.html

Here you can find alternatives for most of the standard applications.
http://www.osalt.com/
Most come with Ubuntu linux build-in as was mentioned earlier. It's also possible to keep using windows but to ditch MS-office for OpenOffice, Outlook for Thunderbird, Internet Explorer for Firefox, and so on.

Grtz,
Arjen

ps: one of the best things free/opensource software has to offer is good crypto. Get your shot here:

Thunderbird is an opensource E-mail applications comparable to Outlook, without the risk of viruses:
http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/thunderbird/
Enigmail PGP crypto. Have some privacy:
http://enigmail.mozdev.org/home/index.php

Thermate911
Angel - now passed away
Angel - now passed away

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Just another plea to ditch Windows... Reply with quote

Quote:
Microsoft Versus Venezuela

July 15th 2009, by Tamara Pearson – Venezuelanalysis.com

Yesterday, Microsoft MSN (Spain) featured a montage photo of Venezuelan president Hugo Chavez and the ex president of Cuba, Fidel Castro, wearing king's crowns, accompanied by the colourful title, "When power corrupts: Striving to be kings." The Venezuelan government and a grassroots technology movement here are both promoting the use and creation of open source (free) software, so it's no surprise that software tyrant, Microsoft, is lambasting Chavez.

Following the MSN headline was a slide show of photos of nine world leaders with paragraphs accompanying each, describing just how undemocratic and power hungry they all are. All of the leaders bar two are from Latin America or East Asia, reflecting the racist sentiment that the "West" is democratic perfection. Also, perhaps just a coincidence, East Asia and Latin America are regions with some of the strongest open source software movements.

Ironically, of the two Western leaders featured, the king of Spain is the one leader of the whole bunch who wasn't in any way elected, whilst the other, Napoleon, is long dead.

The paragraph accompanying Chavez's photo read, "Hugo Chavez is in it for the long run. He has touched up laws at his whim and for his own interest. And why not, he did the same with the constitution that he devised in 1999 but in which he made one mistake: term limits. After his first election (1999) and the two after that (2001 and 2007), the law hasn't allowed him the option of running again as president. And instead of accepting that, he changed the law."

First of all, MSN, do your research. The last presidential election was in 2006, not 2007. Secondly, the commentary does not mention that the constitution (created by a constitutional assembly with members elected by the public) and the constitutional amendment were both approved by popular referendum.

MSN, the default home page for Microsoft Internet Explorer, and a hub page of Microsoft services such as Hotmail, Messenger, downloads, "news", a search engine, advertisements and so on, is just an extension, or a facilitator, of the Microsoft software and technology empire.

It is hard to miss the irony of such an unaccountable, billion dollar, US based multinational corporation which monopolises its industry, calling a president who has held 15 elections (amendments, referendums, recalls, regional elections and so on) in 10 years, a wannabe king.

Microsoft, founded in 1975 by current billionaire Bill Gates, and Paul Allen, is the producer of Microsoft Windows, Word, Explorer, Messenger, and so on. It has risen to dominance by patenting products frequently based on other people's work or on common, global ideas. It monopolises the computer world through its ownership of the operating system Windows, and through a strategy of program compatibility. Then it multiplies its profits by convincing (and obliging) program users to buy upgrades every few years.

In 1994 Microsoft's operating system was driving 93% of the world's desktops, and its software- 90% of the market. The company has, what basically amounts to, tyrannical control over software, and by extension, computers, the internet, and modern communication. It's domination of information- how it is accessed, produced, processed, and organised, is dangerous.

The open source software movement is challenging such domination. The movement, which developed Linux, the free operating system, for example, sees information as vital to human development and something that should not be for profit, but rather for personal development, awareness, and expression. Software is a social creation rather than a private creation, where users around the world can add code to code, and fix bugs on a daily basis rather than via regular, purchasable, upgrades.

Edgar Gutierrez, a software activist in Merida, Venezuela, said technology is simply, "the extension of the capacity of man" and argued that it shouldn't be limited to first world countries or those who can afford to pay $100 for a program in order to design, write, express, photograph, use the internet, communicate, translate, learn languages or maths or science. He said, "When [software] is not free, there is a massive inequality of power."

Leandro Leon, also from Merida, Venezuela, speaking to alternative media, described the four freedoms of open source software, freedoms denied by private software like that made by Microsoft:
The freedom to use the program for whatever you want (Licensed software generally stipulates what the program should be used for).
The freedom to study the program.
The freedom to modify it, that is- to improve it, add to the coding and get rid of bugs.
The freedom to distribute the program.

Leon argues that Linux, a system developed by many people, is a far superior a system to Windows. "The lack of restrictions makes it possible for many people to participate," he said, "like the difference between solving a problem alone or in a group." When lots of people are involved, they discover the bugs and fix them much quicker as well, Leon argued. "A private model doesn't work like that."

In September 2004 the Venezuelan government announced its decision to switch all public administration and national industry over to open source software. Chavez explained the move was for "national scientific independence, so that we do not depend on privately owned software. If knowledge does not have owners, then intellectual property is a trap set by neo-liberalism." The change over will also save the government a lot of money on software purchasing, money which can be put to better use on social programs, health, and education.

However, getting whole sections of administration to change over their operating systems and programs is not an easy process, and at last count, the aim was to have 50% of public administration using free software by 2007.

The government has also set up the National Centre for Development and Research of Open Source Technology (CENDITEL), which has centres dedicated to creating open source software, training in open source software creation, organising its distribution, and promoting awareness around its use, among other things. It has organised technology fairs where locals can bring their computers and have Linux installed for free.

However, clearly it's not useful to talk about open source software when computers are still too expensive for the majority of the world's population. To combat this, since 2000 the government has been constructing ‘infocentres', places with up to 80 computers, located in the barrios, in rural and isolated areas, and city centres. These centres also often offer free computer training and internet access, and there are currently almost 700 such centres across the country.

Now that's democratic.

Apologies to www.venezuelanalysis.com/analysis/4633 for reposting this in full but it's such a great wake-up call to get out from under the domination of eugenicist and Rockefeller mate, Bill Gates and his stifling view of information flow.

There's some great flavours of Linux. I feel that at present www.ubuntu.com is the easiest, point'n'click way in for Windows refugees. You'll be amazed at the stress level reduction after a week's aclimatisation.

Oh yes, you can also run most of your favourite/more obscure windoze apps under Wine in Linux, if you really feel the need. To make the transition 'painless' you can even try out Ubuntu within windows before taking the plunge - which isn't so deep as its setup will partition your disk to run both OS's, if you have the space.

"Timely Demise to All Oppressors - at their Convenience!" - 'Interesting Times', Terry Pratchett
Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7, Covid-1984 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: